About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Nazareth To Consider Curfew Next Year

I missed last night's Nazareth Borough Council meeting after being assured there would be no action taken on a proposed curfew for minors. I had conflicts. I am nonetheless happy to report that Nazareth Borough Council, to its credit, took no official action on any measures at last night's meeting to stay in compliance with the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act I am even happier to report, based on several sources at the meeting, that Borough Council will delay its consideration of a curfew ordinance until January. This is smart. Two members are leaving at the end of the year. Their replacements, who waged campaigns and have spoken to residents, will have a better understanding how they feel.

I did speak to a Borough Council member yesterday. This person tells me that, while the minutes contain very few references to teen crime, this was the subject of several neighborhood block watch meetings.

I also spoke to a resident who supports the curfew, but thinks most teen crime is committed during the day. She states it is in the form of drug sales at Shafer Elementary's park, and learned that piece of information from her own son. I am told this go on in broad daylight, not under cover of darkness.

If she knows this, so do Nazareth police. But as one officer (from another department) told me yesterday, "It is one thing to know about drug sales It is another to prove it."

I remain leery, but am willing to listen to evidence showing there is a rational basis for this significant restriction on the freedom of assembly. My own observations, as a long-time resident, is that these concerns are overblown.

I never thought I would say this, but Nazareth Borough Council did the right thing last night.   

3 comments:

Gary Cordner said...

FWIW, juvenile curfews have been studied around the country. Consensus is they don't work (don't reduce crime or juvenile victimization) and typically have disparate impact on visible minorities.

Bernie O'Hare said...

That is my conclusion as well. Moreover, I see no juvenile crime wave.

Anonymous said...

Since when can they meet in a quorum legally like this?