About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, December 13, 2019

A Boy's Best Friend

On Monday, I told you about Suki, my grandson's dog. After she collapsed on Sunday and a trip to the emergency vet, we learned that her heart was simply too big and that she was dying of congestive heart failure. We were given medicine to make it easier for her to breathe, and had an appointment to see the vet today. But she won't be there. She passed away yesterday afternoon.

Suki was a Jackapoo, the Captain Danger of designer dogs. She was the sweetest dog I ever saw. I got her for Dat 13 years ago, and she adored him. I loved watching them play. If it was baseball, she'd shag the balls, even though they barely fit into her mouth. She got so used to going after baseballs that she once ran out into the field during a Lehigh U game and stole a baseball.

When Dat played football, she had to get in on that action, too. Dat would announce "Down," and she would assume the linebacker position. Then Dat, who actually was a very fast running back would call out signals and snap the ball to himself. Once he did that, no matter how fast he ran, she'd get him. She was never content until she pulled his pants down.

Unfortunately, she was a terrible basketball player. Couldn't dunk.

She was very mischievous. She loved to quarrel with skunks, and once took off on an adventure that had us looking for her for three days.

She was good for me, too. I would dog sit at times over the summer, and she inspired me to start exercising at least twice. In the summer of 2018, when I was 128 pounds heavier than I am now, it is she who coaxed me into walking again. She'd also give me a look of complete disgust as I struggled to keep up with her.

This past summer, it is she who struggled to keep up with me. I thought her age might be catching up to her. Then, when I received word from Dat that she collapsed one hot July day, I thought it must be the heat or that she just tripped. Then came a second report, and once again, I assumed it was the heat. When she collapsed a third time on Sunday, it was time to see the vet.

Though the medicine made it easier for her to breathe, her energy and passion for life seemed to be gone.

We had kept Dat in the dark because he was taking exams. But his mom visited him on campus yesterday, after he had taken his last exam, and brought Suki to see her pal. Suki was thrilled and was her old self. After filling Dat in on the situation, Suki and his mom returned home. As soon as she got back, Suki let go and is now gone.

It seems that she had kept herself alive just to see her best friend one last time.

I said good-bye to her at the vet. She was finally at peace.

Thanks to those of you who emailed and messaged me.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your beloved companion.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the loss, Bernie. I lost my beloved dog a few years ago after a sudden and serious illness appeared and it damned near destroyed me. 13 years is a blessing though. Dogs are very special. Bless the beasts and the children.

Anonymous said...

So so sorry

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Bernie. It is heart wrenching when you lose a pet, family member that provides unconditional love.

Anonymous said...

Man that's tough. Been there. Little dog, big loss.

Anonymous said...

Humans dont deserve the unconditional love that dogs give us.

Sorry for your loss, it is always a tough one.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss

Pepper said...

Bernie,
I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to you and the family Bernie, and this time of year no less. I hope the memories of the many years of love Suki gave you, and you gave Suki, ease your pain.

The Banker

Anonymous said...

The hardest thing I've ever done was putting my 15 yr old border down. It's been a year and I still feel it. Dogs represent everything good in life. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope Dak is well, he seems like an exceptional young man.

Bucky said...

Bernie, So sorry for your loss.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I am overwhelmed my the many nice comments here, and thank you all.

Bill G and Lori said...

We feel your loss. Dogs are more appreciative than most humans.

Anonymous said...

If you locked your dog and your wife in the truck of your car and came back in an hour, who'd be happy to see you? That's right!

Seems like a fine young man, Suki has served you both well, Peace be with you.

Canary said...

Condolences, Bernie.

Pamela Varkony said...

Bernie, this is a beautiful tribute to what sounds like a lovely creature who spread fun and joy wherever she went. We should all hope to leave behind a legacy where someone will feel this way about us. May Suki rest in peace beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

PippySqueek said...

So sorry for your and the family's loss. Been there and I know it is never easy to say goodbye.

BEH112364 said...

I am sorry Bernie, there are few things as sweet as a dog's dedication and love for her master. My condolences.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing so devoted and loving or forgiving as a family pet. They idolize you and win your heart with the love they share for you. So sorry to hear of your loss.
Jerry and Julie

Susan said...

So sorry for your loss. My Marley is 16 years old today and going strong, but I dread the day when.. Take care Bernie and enjoy your family...

Agent 99 said...

I am so sorry for both you and Dat, it is hard to say goodbye to a pet who has been a part of your life for so long.
:-(