About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, May 09, 2019

Who Will Be Lehigh County's Next Judge?

Like Northampton County, Lehigh County has one judicial vacancy this election cycle. In Northampton County, the only candidate to file is District Attorney John Morganelli. In Lehigh County, it's another story. A cornucopia of seven lawyers want that black robe, which comes with a $184,781 annual salary that automatically goes up each year. They include six guys and one woman. Given the recent success of women in political contests, you might think Anna-Kristie Morffi Marks has the inside track. Besides, she's Lehigh County DA Jim Martin's top prosecutor. But I think Zac Cohen will get the nod. It's perhaps the one time that being a Jew is advantageous.

In the most recent issue of Hakol, an excellent monthly newspaper called "The Voice of the Lehigh Valley Jewish Community," Cohen has taken out a full-page ad. There is little doubt in my mind that many in Lehigh County's large Jewish population will vote for him. If the field were more limited, this would be less helpful. But with seven candidates, he could prevail over Morffi Marks.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morffi Marks is of the wrong party for women and lacks that party's support. The big wig Rs are supporting Capehart with money.

Cohen wins the D nomination. I think Capehart or Hanna get the R nomination.

Anonymous said...

Is it news that every candidate attempts to leverage his or her heritage, gender or affiliations for political support? Mr. Cohen is no different in this regard to any other candidate.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I am not being critical. I am merely pointing out that he has an edge.

Chris Casey said...

Marks sent out a 4 page color super mailer to all super voter households. It was impressive, and indicative that she is well financed. I believe she is qualified, and am considering voting for her. buuuuuut……….. I am worried by the money being spent

Anonymous said...

Mike Fleck!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am writing in Roseann Joseph, Esq.'s name. She is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

I hope it comes down to Cohen and Hanna. Then we will finally see which community has more pull in Lehigh County.

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for whomever Ed Pawlowski endorses. Integrity is the key. But Ed also knows a lot about the judicial system, at this point.

Anonymous said...

Wrong county.

Anonymous said...

I predict Morffi-Marks will win. She has a great personal story and some pretty good political skills. Her recent mailer is compelling and in my part of Lehigh County she easily has the most yard signs.

Anonymous said...

Morffi-Marks showed up on my doorstep and I can say I was impressed. She was polite and sincere. No other potential judge has made this effort. She has earned my vote by the effort she put out.

Anonymous said...

Will Jenn Mann's support of Hanna help or hinder his chances with Republicans?

Anonymous said...

It's going to be Capehart. Possibly on both sides of the ballot. Dude is working.