About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Boys' Hoops: ESS Cavs Win District XI Gold



I'm just a basketball bum. I have no real knowledge of the game, and only started watching because of my grandson. Over the years, I've fallen in love with it myself. Most people love the SLAM dunk that lands like an indoor THUNDERBOLT. My favorite is the three-point shot that comes out of nowhere. Swish!! But this season, I've learned that while offense draws a crowd, it's defense that wins championships. That's why Allentown Central Catholic High School is the District XI 5A Champ. And it's why the East Stroudsburg South (ESS) Cavaliers can say, as of Monday night, that they are the District XI 6A (big school) champs. They defeated Northampton's Konkrete Kids, 60-50, to claim their first ever gold medals before a packed house at Easton Area Middle School.

Had you asked me about this before the game, I would have given the edge to Northampton. Aidan Elwood and Cory Weisenberger are two of the Lehigh Valley's top scorers, a deadly duo who even nipped Bethlehem Catholic earlier in the regular season. And the Cavs are now down two starters. But after tipoff, ESS scored 12 unanswered points in the first six minutes of the game. By the end of the first quarter, the score was a lop-sided 15-2.

How did this happen? Lightning speed and very tough defense. In the clip above, you can see that Isaiah Watson-Bradley, a 5'7" senior, all over 6'1" Aidan Elwood. It was like that all night. Coach Shawn Munford would also rotate in Devin Lopez, a 5'6" Senior, to keep the pressure on Elwood all night long.

Amazingly, the team with the shortest kids won districts.

What's amazing about this is that Elwood still managed to score 17 points. He just needs a split second to set and shoot.

Had the game been 8 minutes longer, I think Northampton would have rebounded. But it's not.

All is not lost for Northampton. They will still complete in the state tournament.

No comments: