About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Allentown's Iconic Post Office Seeks New Home

Allentown post office
Allentown's 99-year old post office, built around the same time as the PPL building, is looking or a new home. It wants to go from its current location on Hamilton Street to a smaller site (about 5,000 sq ft) within a mile. This new location is undetermined at this point.The relocation was the topic of a public hearing before Allentown City Council. Julio Guridy told officials that any new site should be within walking distance for many downtown residents. A member of the public said that the Hamilton Street location offers window service, which is unavailable at the larger post office along Airport Road.Preservationists also raised concerns. Though the Post Office has pledged to keep the inside murals intact, they noted there were other items of historical interest.

The place was packed for this hearing, but I suspect most there were waiting for the Mayoral interviews.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in there, there are tiny floor tiles with what appear to be swasticas. Before you or anyone else starts flying off the handle about Nazis, lookup what a swastica really is first.
I thought it was interesting when I noticed them years ago. Enjoy and I enjoy reading your blog.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Whenever I've walked in there, it has been like taking a step back in time.

Anonymous said...

99 years old?

I thought it was a WPA project.

Anonymous said...

What about the former Aldi Foods building on 7th Street? Within 1 mile of downtown, fit with a loading dock, plenty of "FREE" off street parking.

Anonymous said...

Your picture was hanging in there at one time, wasn’t it O’Hare?

Anonymous said...

I've never been there, so I'll ask a stupid question. Why move it - why not renovate? Is the main issue really that it is too large?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Since they are looking for a much smaller site, I imagine the issue is size. But I know very little about the move, beyond what I've written. I also know very little about architecture or interior design, but the few times I have set foot in there (I have always hated the long lines there), it has been like a step back in time. One of the commenters suggests it was a New Deal project, which other sources confirm. I have links to some histories below. It cost $820,000 to build, with $3,700 spent on the murals. I personally think the murals are far from great works of art, although they are better than one mural in the interior of the NorCo courthouse. I admit I have no eye for art though I took an art appreciation course to help me. I do have an eye for a good story, but not for art or music.

https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/post-office-murals-allentown-pa/

http://statemuseumpa.org/common-canvas/post-office-full-study.pdf

Anonymous said...

The building is beautiful. I hope they aren't planning on tearing it down.