About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bill White Tried to Poison Me!



I've already bragged 47 times about receiving this year's Keystone Press award for Investigative Journalism in the smallest category of newspapers. The Bethlehem Press, at which I freelance, actually received 21 awards this year, and won what is called the sweepstakes in their division for the third year in a row.

My conclusion is that I probably inspire a lot of people.

On Saturday night, we were all in Harrisburg for the awards ceremony.

Each sweepstakes winner played a video about the winning newspaper. The video for The Beaver Times was hilarious, but is probably under lock and key.

I saw The Morning Call's Bill White while I was there. He won an award, too, for his columns.

"They'll let anybody in here," I wisecracked.

He threatened to object to me getting an award for anything, but found a more devilish way to get me.

As only a few of you know, I have developed a severe dairy allergy, as in I go into anaphylactic shock if I eat anything with butter, milk or cheese. This was noted on my meal card. But when I took a bite out of my salad, I immediately noticed it was laced with cheese and spit it out.

The rest of the night, I kept feeling itches, but they were either psychosomatic or fleas. I was OK.

I went back with the salad and the servers told me it was my own damn fault because I should have seen the cheese surprise, and they were sure they had placed a cheese free salad at my table. While I was trying to con them into a free meal (I failed), I swear I saw White laughing at me.

6 comments:

Robert Trotner said...

Congratulations in the award and on avoiding anaphylactic shock. I don't know if it's common knowledge that anaphylactic shock can be fatal or completely debilitating.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,
One must look out for the far reaches of the notorious hamilton street gang o thugs as there henious crimes against humanity and any and all naysayers?!($ We all see in local undenyable news reports that dead men and wemen tell no tails, and they are all burried in grabveyards a cause rulin my s are hampered or just more faked facts put to print on federal data statistics gathered by one of there many complicite subsets as they call the tenicles of there criminal organizations that make up of public and private sectors all working as one yet seperated by circus twistZ?! ($
Re:publican redd

PippySqueek said...

Whatever you do, don't ever eat that dairy free sliced yellow cheese- I think motor oil taste better!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I would prefer eating real cheese.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, congratulations on the award, you surely did earn it.

As to the cheese issue, we have a family member who is allergic to cow's milk, but can enjoy food containing goat's milk cheeses. That might be an option for you, though goat's milk products are more expensive than cow's milk-based items.

Of course, in public/restaurants you are on your own. Many baked goods and things like pierogies, and soups and casseroles, may contain milk and cheese without that being obvious. In restaurants, you can ask. At pot-lucks, it is more difficult to detemine who made what and what is in it. Which of course, leads to healthy diet and weight loss, when your meals consist mainly of veggies and good quality protein from poultry and meat and fish, with some fruit and nuts and seeds thrown in. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations