In Northampton County, Children, Youth and Families (CYF) had 10 caseworkers in 2014 who handled 732 child abuse incidents, and ultimately determined that 65 of them needed action. In 2015, 14 caseworkers fielded 1,076 reports of child abuse in 2015, and took action in 134 of these matters.
Possible signs of child abuse or neglect include the following:
* Behavior changes such as fear, anxiety, depression, aggression or withdrawal, not wanting to go home, or appearing afraid of certain individualsIf you want to report possible child abuse, you can call 1-800-932-0313.
* Overly sexualized behavior or use of explicit sexual language that's inappropriate for the child's age
* Changes in sleeping patterns including frequent nightmares, difficulty falling asleep. Both may result in the child appearing tired or fatigued
* Changes in school performance and attendance, such as being unable to concentrate in class or frequent absences
* Eating habits that lead to extreme weight gain or loss
* Visible unexplained injuries such as burns, bruises, or broken bones
* Use of drugs or alcohol
* Trouble walking or sitting