About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Portrait Presented To Bethlehem Tp Is First Mayor's Son

Yesterday, I told you that Bethlehem Township Commissioners were presented with a portrait of Bethlehem's first Mayor, Archibald Johnston. I paid no attention to Comm'r Malissa Davis when she said it was a portrait of Archibald Johnston, Jr., thinking they were one and the same.

I was wrong. Yesterday, Attorney John Zapf II corrected me. The portrait is actually of Archibald Johnston,  one of the Mayor's two children. John should know. He is Archibald B. Johnston's grandson.

John also tells me that no one referred to his grandfather as Archibald Johnston, Jr.

I regret this error, and apologize to John and everyone else for getting it wrong.

The only thing I can offer in mitigation is that I am a Democrat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fake News.

Just kidding Bernie. Keep up the good work and thanks for the reporting you do.

Bernie O'Hare said...

When I screw up, I have to admit it.

Anonymous said...

Your whole life is one big screw up!

Anonymous said...

Good job on correcting the egregious error

Anonymous said...

This is the second cousin to my wife's third cousin who was married to my uncle's grandfather once removed. How you can screw things up that are so easy is just mind boggling. My uncle's grandfather and his wife gave birth to Gertrude who was a Fenstermacher and he and his wife gave birth to a daughter Prunella, who married a Weaver. The mailman had an affair with Prunella's sister who eventually ran away with the milkman (his name was John) and they moved to a little settlement that they named "Johnstowne". The name stuck and the rest is History.

Anonymous said...

Bernie you may have more screw ups than you think, you should go back and make corrections for all the people that you thought were wonderful and turned out not to be. I guess the other way around is in order.

Unknown said...

Bernie, Does the City of Bethlehem have the portrait of the first Mayor in their possession?
Mayor Ed Hozza Jr.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Right will find out.

John said...

His portrait, along with all the other official mayoral portraits, hang in City Hall behind the cashiers’ windows where they are most easily seen by residents. Johnston’s portrait, as first mayor of the city, hangs closest to the Lehigh, followed in order by Yeakel, Pfeifle, etc.