We all know what happened in Allentown not all that long ago, when former Mayor Edwin "Fed Ed" Pawlowski was charged and eventually convicted of public corruption. For a brief time, it had a chilling effect on campaign contributions. But the Lehigh Valley's pay-to-play culture has gone on far too long to let a few federal bribery prosecutions get in the way. Pay-to-play is back, and with a vengeance. Candidates are spending more now than they ever have.
Years ago, before I even started this blog, I used to be at nearly every county council meeting, asking them to curb the practice by enacting an ordinance that would bar anyone who contributed to a county elected official or candidate from county employment. I also would complain about county vendors who contribute to county candidates and asked for legislation that would bar them from doing business with that county or municipality for a limited period of time after the donation.
I was a real pain in the ass, unmindful of the simple reality that the more you harp on any topic at a public meeting, the less effective you become. I thought I was dazzling them with my oratory. I was boring them instead.
Though I've stopped haranguing elected officials on this topic, I do remain concerned about county candidates who accept donations from county employees and vendors.
Executive Tara Zrinski presents herself as a grass roots candidate and truly is. Over the years, her finance reports demonstrate that she has a solid base of small and local donors. But when she ran for Executive, she began accepting money from county workers whose further employment with the county would be in her hands. She also accepted donations from two county vendors.
COUNTY EMPLOYEE DONATIONS
Below is a listing of county employees who donated to her 2025 Executive race
• Lamont McClure — $15,000. McClure was Northampton County Executive and supported Zrinski as his successor. After the election, he was appointed a PT Assistant County Solicitor
• Susan Wandalowski — at least $1,090. County Human Services Director.
• Melissa Rudas — at least $1,050. County solicitor.
• Michael Corriere — at least $750. Former county council member and assistant county solicitor.
• Michael Emili — at least $815. County Public Works director.
• Tina Smith — at least $550. County DCED director.
• Stephen Baratta — $500. Northampton County district attorney. (Ironically, Zrinski suggests Baratta had political motives for a Grand Jury report critical of Gracedale when he actually supported her campaign).
• Mary Lou Kaboly — $500. Former county human-resources director.
• Mark Aurand — at least $300. former deputy county controller and now, the county administrator.
• Richard Groff — $500. Now a county election commissioner.
A COUNTY ARCHITECT GIVES $2,000
One contribution has a particularly direct connection to county business. Randy Galiotto contributed $2,000 to Zrinski. He is a principal of Alloy5, the Bethlehem architectural firm selected by Northampton County as project architect for replacement of the Government Center parking deck.
County procurement records identify Alloy5 as the project architect. County Council approved approximately $463,000 in architectural services for the project, but it is important to note that Alloy5 was selected on June 18, 2025, six months before Zrinski was ever elected. but six months after Zrinski's election, County Council unanimously approved a $62,400 increase to Alloy5.
A $10,000 CONTRIBUTION FROM THE FAMILY OF A COUNTY LANDLORD
Another notable contribution came from Nimita Kapoor-Atiyeh, who gave Zrinski $10,000. Kapoor-Atiyeh is the wife of Abe Atiyeh, a local real-estate developer who owns the West Easton work-release facility leased by Northampton County. Thus, a $10,000 personal campaign contribution came from the immediate family of the owner of property being leased by the county.
In addition to the work release center, an Atiyeh company (Ridge Ventures recently agreed to lease a property in Bethlehem Township to the county for a DUI center at a rent of $2,500 a month over a period of 10 years.
These records establish the contribution and the family/property relationship. There is no evidence, aside from the contribution itself, that the contribution was made in exchange for favorable treatment by the county or that the county's lease was affected by it.
These donations are completely legal. I have no reason to believe that Zrinski's decision-making is in any way impacted by those who gave her money, especially because she has a broad base of grass roots support and is actually at odds with a District Attorney who donated to her. But to remove any uncertainty, these types of contributions should be limited or outright banned.
Regardless, I smell a skunk 🦨 particularly McClure.
ReplyDeleteIt’s all coincidental that the above mentioned contributors also are
ReplyDeletefinancially benefitting from their generosity. Wink Wink
I once met a caring, honest politician who listened to what I said. Then I woke up.
ReplyDeleteWhat's the difference between a politician and a flying pig? The letter F
ReplyDeleteAn honest politician who when bought will stay bought
ReplyDeleteRudas is not employable outside of county government. My township wouldn't hire her to scoop dog poop at the athletic fields. She donates. She provides favorable (and perhaps illegal) advice to fellow travelers. Donations by those who seek benefit has to stop. She's proof that half of all lawyers graduate in the bottom half of their law school classes.
ReplyDeleteI know clients who speak highly of her work on family cases.
DeleteBoy are you naive- this incompetent Executive plays the system to her advantage. She ran for every office imaginable to gain name recognition, and in the process burrowed her way into the local machine in order to gain favor. She should reimburse the County for her time as Controller since she used that position as a defacto Campaign office. You also failed to mention the cushy job she handed to Boulette's wife. Her handling of the D.A.'s report verifies she lacks the qualifications & temperament for the job.
ReplyDeleteLet's not kid ourselves here; there's a lot that goes on at these rallies and public events. A quick whisper here and there goes a long way to benefit someone and line their pockets. Shady AF, for sure.
ReplyDeleteNone of those department heads should be donating money. Barrattas contribution also proves how much of a liar she is.
ReplyDeleteThe old adage “avoid the look of impropriety”
ReplyDeleteA few thoughts— how many non donors were awarded contracts” how may donors that only gave only to the opposing candidate have been awarded contracts vs the donors who received contracts.
Wonder how many politicians could withstand such scrutiny?
Worth some research. For example, Galiotto has donated at least $12,000 to State Senator Marty Flynn (PA 22 (Scranton area)) and he's a regular donor to Tim Kearny (PA 26 (western suburbs of Philadelphia (WEALTHY area))). His firm's projects do include some in those regions but maybe that's just normal business growth. He is also a regular donor to his local State Senator, Lisa Boscola, and the list of projects in PA 18 for his firm is long. It never hurts to have your name in someone's ear, though, and writing four or five figures checks does wonders for someone's hearing and memory.
DeleteNice reporting here. Although, I feel like I need a shower and delousing after reading it. Have R executives been as filthy as the current administration regarding dirty money?
ReplyDeleteThis behavior exists in both parties
DeleteChris was a major campaign contributor and had a TIF
Delete“This behavior exists in both parties”
DeleteThat wasn’t the question asked. Name some names and give examples.
I did. Charles Chris was former Exec Brown’s largest donor and had multiple arrangements with the county. It cuts across both parties. Stop pretending.
DeleteMcClures financials showed he was in debt if I recall. Yet ole Lamont still finds a whopping 15k for Tara.
ReplyDeleteTwo separate pools. His campaign committee for county can't give money to his federal campaign.
DeleteBernie: you write, " I have no reason to believe that Zrinski's decision-making is in any way impacted by those who gave her money....." However, just last week you have pointed out the irony behind her yelling "perjury" giving the fact she actually committed perjury (never legally held accountable, though should have been). So, I ask the question: if Zrinksi is able to brazenly lie in a civil matter what is preventing her from lying in any other situation?
ReplyDeleteZrinski is the example here and the facts are what they are. There are similar cases in other offices.
ReplyDeleteonce a liar, always a liar.
ReplyDeleteBernie, when I ran for Mayor in Bethlehem, I made a point of not taking campaign contributions from the top developers in Bethlehem. One contacted me looking to contribute and I said no. I politely told this person that they should let their proposed projects stand on their merit and not on the size of campaign contributions. I preferred support from individuals. When the campaign was done it would have been difficult to divide/prorate what was left amongst all who had contributed, so I had my campaign treasurer cut equivalent checks to 3 local non-profits to close out the campaign account. They benefited children, animals, and public safety.
ReplyDeleteWe still cry 'Dana for Mayor'
DeleteIt should be no surprise that cash for votes or positions or contracts happens. It has been done by both parties for years.
ReplyDeleteIt’s just sad we have devolved and not attempted to have better oversight on pay for play. It’s too late to claw it back.