About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, September 29, 2023

Ichiban Steakhouse Refuses to Seat Blind Patron With Seeing-Eye Dog

Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse, located on Catasauqua Road in Allentown, has long been a favorite  among those of us who love the hibachi experience. A chef cooks your meal before your eyes on a grill located in the center of the table. He (or she) dazzles everyone seated with flaming onions and then has customers demonstrate their wide receiver ability to catch shrimp or vegetables with their mouths. It's a great place for birthday celebrations. But I learned yesterday that this popular eatery has been denying service to blind patrons with service dogs. This is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and needs to be corrected.   

As some of you know, I walk a seeing-eye dog named Mason as often as I can. The owner is no longer able to do so, and the dog began gaining weight. Before you make the mistake of assuming that I've turned soft in my old age, I am still very much a miserable bastard. It helps the dog, sure, but it helps me even more. It's a great way to cool down after a hard exercise session or warm up before I start. It keeps the weight off so long as I watch what I eat. 

Mason himself is the most mellow dog I've ever seen, Nothing bothers him. He's highly disciplined and extremely intelligent. He received 18 months of training before being selected as a seeing-eye dog. He knows the difference between left and right, something I've been unable to master.  There is no doubt in my mind that he could have been a bomb or drug detection dog because of his highly developed olfactory nerves. He can smell deer or a fox long before I see it. When he's with me, he gets to be a dog and pretend he's a great hunter.  

I had the day off on Wednesday because the owner and his girlfriend had to run errands, and that included dinner at Ichiban. That's when Mason goes on the clock and serves as a guide dog.  I was surprised to learn that the restaurant refused to seat Mason's owner, who is both legally blind and somewhat deaf.  This was because he had Mason with him.  

This was confirmed by Ichiban's manager. He said he was refusing to seat patrons with service dogs, even if disabled because the presence of dogs might offend patrons who are allergic to dogs. He told me that Allentown police and Department of Health both advised him he had the right to exclude disabled patrons with service animals. 

I am sure this manager is acting in good faith, based on what he thinks he was told. I believe that he must have misunderstood them because the law is very clear. 

Under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), a restaurant must permit service dogs to accompany people with disabilities to all areas where the public is allowed. Only two questions may be asked: 1) Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?; and 2) what work has the dog been trained to do? That's it. The owner is under no obligation to provide an ID card or other proof. 

What about people with allergies or a fear of dogs? This is no justification for refusing service to a person with a seeing eye dog. They can simply be seated as far apart as possible. It's called accommodation. But people with disabilities still have all the rights to be seated at the same tables and areas as anyone else. Moreover, a restauranteur may not take on special fees for service dogs. 

So has it all gone to the dogs? No. A restaurant can eject a patron if he's unable to control his guide or the dog starts shitting and pissing all over the place. A K-9 dog snarling at everyone could legitimately be ejected. Also dogs may not block aisles. 

I have forwarded the link above to Ichiban's manager and hope he changes his policy because, quite frankly, he's breaking the law. I've learned that Ichiban has even excluded disabled veterans with service dogs. 

If this persists, a complaint can be filed with the Department of Justice  

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catasauqua Rd is not within APD’s jurisdiction so he likely lied to you. That’s PSP land out there. Not to mention that it’s all a civil issue, not criminal. Sounds like he’s trying to sound like he has official backing….but failing.

Anonymous said...

Why would the Allentown Police and health dept advise a restaurant in Hanover Township?

peterjcochran said...

Legitimate service dogs are better behaved than most people for gods sake. If you handle this doggie, you know Bernie. Blind and deaf- that was me , a bit before cataract surgery and not getting hearing aids back during Corona with supply chain issues for weeks. This dog’s owner must have a wonderful personality. I couldn’t HARDLY STAND IT. Like being in closet, but to be permanently in this situation, geez. I wish him well.

Anonymous said...

Bunch of crap I won’t be eating there again!

Anonymous said...

If he is a republican the DOJ will jump on him so fast his head will spin. If he is a democrat nothing will happen.

Anonymous said...

People and their dogs are like maga cultists! @8:02 - You break the law no matter the party, you get arrested. Stop breaking the law.

Anonymous said...

@8:02 - Dork comment. You don't need to insert your political views on every facet of life. If you are that consumed with hatred towards either party, you are in need of mental help. Theres a great big world out there, with millions of good law abiding citizens of all races and backgrounds. Turn off your TV, go out of your house and meet them.

Anonymous said...

I’m the dog owner but thank you

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I’m the owner that went there and was refused service because of my seeing eye dog
I was trying to tell the manager that he was breaking the law and can get into trouble but I guess he could make his own law against service dog I could understand that some refuse therapy dogs A service animal is working for the owner were as therapy animals are in a totally separate category so please let people what this manager is doing and recommend that people stop eating to hurt the business

Anonymous said...

We don't deserve dogs. I just discussed this with mine and he said, "remember Pearl Harbor."

Bernie O'Hare said...

I emailed the manager with a link to the DOJ's outline of what the ADA requires. I have asked the owner to review it and get back to me to let me know if he will now change his stance.

Kathy Riffert said...

First, why does every subject have to be political? Secondly, I have had the pleasure to dine with Mason and his family on site a few occasions. He is so well behaved you don't even know he is there. He either lays on the side of his owner or under the table. On one occasion, when making a reservation, I told them there would be a seeing I dog with us. We were seated at a table,where he would be comfortable yet not in the way of servers or patrons.Now that is accommodating establishment. This is not acceptable behavior. And the should be fined for not accomodating,legitamet coustomers

Anonymous said...

You break the law no matter the party, you get arrested. Stop breaking the law.
September 29, 2023 at 9:57 AM

Now that I have stopped laughing at your comment can you tell me why the DOJ let the statute of limitations run out on Hunter Biden's failure to pay his taxes? IRS code 7203. Next, Why did people who protested at supreme court justices homes not get arrested? Title 18, Section 1507 of the U.S. Code.

Anonymous said...

The place smells like mold. The owner did you a favor. Steak and Steel is awesome and clean. I'm sorry that happened to your friend. It's pretty awful.

Anonymous said...

Thats a shame and I will not be going again.
Dumbass

Anonymous said...

I went there once and my chef was on an episode of 24 hours to hell or something with Gordon Ramsey. I knew then we had problems.

Anonymous said...

I have always had a good meal there. But the owner and manager need to wise up. Hanover Twp. Lehigh Co. needs to have a serious sit-down with Ichiban. Just threaten random health inspections and they will change their tune!

Anonymous said...

There was an attorney in NYC who would test establishments like this and sued over a dozen of them successfully. This guy will learn when someone takes some of his $$$$$

And if APD and the Allentown Health Department worked in concert with this establishment? Well, the pockets just got a little deeper!

Bernie O'Hare said...



I doubt they did. As a reader noted, this place is in Hanover (LC), not A-town. I suspect the manager dealt with state officials, and is a bit confused and misunderstood what he was told. I am not saying he lied to me. He seemed like a decent guy who was trying to do what he thought was right. He is breaking the law, and I hope he changes his stance. If he does not, he will learn the hard way.

I have never had a bad meal there either. I have not been there for several years.

I was unaware of Steak and Steel and just checked it out online. It looks like a great spot. I owe someone a steak dinner as a result of losing a bet and will pay it there.

Anonymous said...

Steak and Steel looks interesting. Across from Walnut Street garage. Make an international night out with Japanes hibachi followed by Baileys and dessert at McCarthy's!

Anonymous said...

@1:48PM - Derp, derp, derp, Dems are bad, not on topic, but I love Trump and love watching TV news all day long, derp derp derp. You're a dork with nothing better to do with your life.

Anonymous said...

Owner of Steak and Steel here. In the summertime we have our patio which is very accommodating for folks with pups or other four-legged friends.
We do know the law. We always ask two questions:
-Is the animal required due to a disability?
-What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
This allows us to understand that the animal is a requirement and not just a pet.
We still reserve the right to ask any animal to leave our space if it is disrupting other customers or being disobedient.