About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, November 02, 2022

The Hidden Baseball Field

Back in the day, when my kids were still very young, we often went to see the Phillies.  I loved to plant my ass behind center field during business person specials and call out to Lenny Dykstra. His chew littered the field at the end of each inning. Every now and then, he'd say something back, probably "Shut the f---  up!" We once met Harry Kalas, who invited my son and his friend to broadcast an inning   Now that the Fighting Phils are edging closer to a World Series championship, I thought I'd share the story of the Hidden Baseball Field.

I've been walking a seeing-eye dog since August. Despite what that bastard Nat Hyman says, the owner is NOT my girlfriend. This dog is pretty cool and very mellow.  Yesterday, I let him decide where the hell he wanted to go. He ambled through town to Convent Avenue, near Holy Family Church, and decided to go up the hill to where the road dead ends.  Unbeknownst to me, there is a wooded trail at the end of this road, and in we went.  This black lab is more than a seeing-eye dog. He also considers himself quite the hunter, so he was very excited as he picked up different scents.

After a couple hundred yards, the trail emptied out into a gigantic field at the bottom of a steep hill. We climbed it and there it was. The Hidden Baseball Field. It's nowhere near a road that I could see. There were a few benches along the first base line, but the third base fan area was all shale. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but must be a great place to play. 

On a Nazareth Facebook page, several people told me they played there. Others said it was a great spot for underage drinking.  

Beyond home plate, the trail continued and finally emptied out at Holy Family Cemetery and the Indian Tower. That's located at the highest point in Nazareth. This is also where the Indian Cemetery, established by the Moravians, is located. 


This seeing-eye dog, who considers himself a hunter, is quite the Pathfinder. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the original "Field of Dreams". Call him. He will come. The place is haunted. Everyone in Nazareth knows of this field. Try it Bernie. Build it. THey will come.

Anonymous said...

BernieOHare to 12:13, it’s certainly true that some people know about this field, as I discovered at the Nazareth Talks Facebook page. I am not among them, even though I’ve lived here three decades. I need to get out more, lol. It is really something.

Anonymous said...

It's on google earth. Just find the Indian Tower and go east about a third of a mile.

peterjcochran said...

Labs are generally smarter than most people. Now, repeat that 3 times. They were great “tracker dogs “ with the Army in Vietnam ,later Afghanistan and Iraq with the Marine Corps. Nose to the ground,fast learning and loyal. You could take the animal off the battlefield per se , and leave it with your grandmother over a weekend, that’s how good are. It also nice of you to take on a candidate for the blind . I just happen to know more than you could imagine about this project . This volunteer responsibility by you , to help somebody else is commendable.

Anonymous said...

It’s obsolete and abandoned just like that creep, Dykstra.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Peter, I walk this guy bc it's just as good for me as it is for the dog.

Anonymous said...

You have one friend Hoffy !

Anonymous said...

This Hidden Baseball Field is actually situated on an old, long-ago filled in reservoir. Check out old maps, like the 1874 Beers Atlas, to see it.

Anonymous said...

It actually has an entrance and very small parking area on Forest Drive. Based on some older maps I have seen, it used to be a pond/reservoir prior to the 1900’s.

Anonymous said...

Now come on Bernie all of the valley knows only a unseeing person would even consider a druid as yourself as a boyfriend? He or she would have to be blind!