About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, November 09, 2022

2022 Election Winners - Lehigh Valley Election Workers

Even if I were a Republican, I'd have voted by mail yesterday. I'll spare you the usual lectures about it being secure or more inclusive and just admit I like the convenience. There are also people, even some Democrats, who like voting in person. It's a chance to catch up with the neighbors and gossip a bit about what's going on in town. I'd be tempted to do that, but most people who know me really dislike me for some reason. Probably because I'm rather handsome and quite intelligent. But I can tell you now who won the 2022 general election even here in the Lehigh Valley, even before the results are official.  It is the same group of people who were being savaged in 2020 and again last year as corrupt and incompetent. It is the election workers, from volunteers who work the precincts just two days a year to the full-time elections offices in both counties. 

I believe most of the accolades I received on yesterday's blog came from Republicans. If so, that means that voters do have confidence in our electoral system after all. Here are some of the compliments that they were given:

"Saw the poll workers showing up at 6am to set up. They probably won’t be finished counting until 8 or 9 pm and then they have to take everything down too. The judge then has to drive to the county voting office to deliver the results. They often don’t get done until 10 or 11 pm. It’s a long day for the poll workers so remember to thank them. They are not government employees they are basically volunteers (they get a $100 stipend for their 12-14 hour day)."

"Lower Saucon Township. Arrived 7:05AM. Usually, I’m the 3 or 4th in line at opening. Today, there were already about 25 in line ahead of me. So, this looked to be a heavy turnout. When I actually got to vote, I was numbered at 35. The line outside the door continued to grow. Everything seemed to be running smoothly. I voted for the Republican candidates."

"Folks joked about having Disney or Chick-fil-A consult on improving the flow, but the team did the best they could with the space they were provided. ... The poll workers did a great job and their service to their community is appreciated!"

"Just votes at 9 a.m. in Walnutport borough. There was no line at all and maybe four folks came in behind me. Poll workers were friendly and courteous."

"Voted at 7:00 am at lock ridge. Ran smoothly with no issues."

"Beth Twp I-3. Usually number 2 or 3, but got there right at 7am, and about 20 ahead of me. All moving smoothly. Made me feel good to see everyone off the sofa and at the polls. Workers did a great job!"

"Two young men and a young woman were ready to greet and sign-in voters at my polling place this morning. Students from Allen, Dieruff and Building 21 were trained to be poll workers this year. I was thrilled to see young people involved. I thanked them for this service, and they thanked me for voting."

"Was in and out quicker than Steve Lynch's modeling career."

"God bless the poll workers. Everyone kind and helpful. The voters were also kind. The news makes us all to be an angry mob but today showed we are all just people praying for things to get better and doing what we can . democracy at work."

"I voted just before 5 pm at the Baptist Church on 191 in Bethlehem. No line to get in, only a couple of other voters there. I thanked the people standing outside for being out as well as the people working inside to keep the process running. Even if my choices don’t win, it’s heartwarming to see the people working the polls and standing outside. All acted quite civil and all were quite friendly."

At this time last year, failed NorCo Exec candidate Steve Lynch was doing his best to interfere with the canvass, called then Voting Registrar Amy Cozze a liar on several occasions and  implied that she was trying to throw the election to McClure. He was unaware that there Cozze had every reason to go against McClure because he refused her request for a raise.  In 2020, Cozze and other elections workers received all kinds of vulgar messages for doing their job. 

I am pleased to see them acknowledged for the very hard work they do in every election. Democracy appears to have survived. 

No comments: