About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, November 29, 2019

I, For One, Support the War on Thanksgiving

The Internet has been having a field day over Donald Trump's claim, made at a Florida rally, that "some people" want to change the name we use for Thanksgiving  Well, before you continue your mockery, one of those people is me. I want to do away with the holiday altogether, not just rename it. My reasons have nothing to do with politics. They have everything to do with my stomach.

I love to eat. The more unhealthy the food, the more I like it. But after losing a shit ton of weight, one of my biggest fears is that I'll put it all back on.  It's a realistic worry, too. My whole adult life, I've been a yo-yo on the scales. So when a holiday dedicated to eating everything in sight comes up, I struggle.

Many of you can get away with eating a little extra now and then. Not me. I can gain five pounds just smelling a good dessert. So it's always tough at this time of year. My problem is that, if I treat myself, I begin to binge. I might hide it at a social gathering, but will stop off somewhere on the way home and eat ten times more than the dessert I politely refused.

I attended a Thanksgiving dinner tonight, and made sure I ate plenty of turkey, about three times as much protein as I usually have. I also had some mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, two dinner rolls and two ounces of cheese. I declined dessert, but stopped at a WaWa on the way home for apple slices and peanut butter. I stayed under my calorie max (barely), and am far from hungry. But seeing and smelling all that food infused me with cravings that I am only getting over now.

As an alcoholic, I was able to stop drinking completely. Once you resign yourself to the fact that one drink is too many and a hundred is never enough, it gets easier by the day to pass up. But we need to eat to live. You can't just swear off food. . 

 I envy those of you who never gain weight and can eat what they want.

Fortunately, I was able to take my mind off food with three games of Hearts. I won all of them, and rather convincingly. I was so good my fellow players have suggested I conduct classes.

So I would replace Thanksgiving with National Hearts Day. No food. Just cards, coffee and sparkling water for me. If the others want to eat and drink, have at it.

20 comments:

Dennis P said...

Do you realize that the first Official U.S. government celebration of Thanksgiving observed under the Old Articles of Confederation was a request by President of Congress Assembled John Hanson of Maryland that all Americans spend a day of test observing our victory over the British at Yorktown. That we give thanks to God for this victory and the independence we achieved.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, didn't you stop by the Bethlehem police department for some bacon as a snack or at least to give it a kick?

Anonymous said...

You're right Bernie, There is something not right with this holiday. The American Natives helped us as colonialists to fend off our adversaries and then we killed off millions of them to serve our own greedy wants and needs, including taking all their land and putting them in glorified detention centers (reservations). They still suffer today. Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I played hearts with Bernie on Thanksgiving. Bernie actually lost all three games. The targeted game number was 100 points (in hearts, you don't want to win points) and Bernie was the first to hit the magic number of 100. I suspect that he just doesn't understand what he's doing and why if he thinks you win by losing. God bless Bernie in his lack of even marginal competence.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The comment at 11:18 is fake news by a person who is jealous that he lacks my skills as the Hearts Guru.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I would support replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous People Day, but not Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

as an original member or the Bernie HEARTS CLUB, I can assure you that he gets schooled often, and NOT by Mr 11:18

Bernie O'Hare said...

Lol

Bernie O'Hare said...

Busted!

Anonymous said...

My cousin sent me home from dinner with leftovers including dessert. We ate at 4 pm and I went home at 7 and by 8 pm I had devoured the leftovers and dessert. I feel your pain Bernie.

Anonymous said...

Indians stole the land from their predecessors and were killing and eating each other when they were conquered. This romantic version of things is .... romantic.

The Huntress said...

Their predecessors?? And who are they??

Peterjcochran said...

Reference Surgeons General weight chart . Ez - 10 calories per pound of ideal body weight based on age ,sex and hight. Bernie in your case it needs a modified app. I have no credibility.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Peter you wasted my time on a wild goose chase. Had I written what you texted, I would have been sued for defamation, and rightly so.

BlackSox'sSam said...

Sam Murray is not Irish =Lebanese Muslim looking Fraud !

Gil Hodges said...

Agree Sam !

mikek said...

Judge Murray (not Irish/Lebanese Fraud fixed an All Star Vote for his Son Joe Murray at Lehigh Little League) =resign Judge !

Sneaky Sam said...

Murray the Muslim is a fraud !

Lebanese Meatball Murray said...

Agree !

Lebanese Meatball Murray said...

No goose chase on Murray the Muslim fixing an All Star Vote for his Son Joseph !