About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sam Bennett Makes Me Take the Pledge

Yesterday's post, Should Senator Boscola's Office Enroll in 12-Step Program?, sparked a bit of controversy. There were those who objected to my unfair use of a photograph of a beet-red Senator Boscola, standing next to Congressional wannabe John Callahan. I expected that. But what really surprised me was a complaint by Charlie Dent's last opponent, none other than Sam Bennett. She let me have it.

"Bernie, I am deeply disappointed that you would repost this highly sexist, misogynistic quote - AGAIN - on your blog. And to use it to damage a woman State Senator is even more disappointing. Bernie, this type of posts demeans ALL women, and should be taken down immediately. When I ran for U.S. Congress in PA-15 against Charlie Dent in 2008, the sexism that came my way was absolutely breath taking. And it motivated me to make sure no woman running for public office in this country would ever have to go through what I did. The national campaign created to achieve this goal www.NameItChangeIt.org, in my role as CEO/President of WCF, the oldest organization financially supporting women running for office, has had a powerful effect on women's races across the country in the mid-terms -- with partners Women's Media Center and Political Parity. Sadly, my race is now infamous as one of the most sexist this nation has ever seen - Bernie you owe me and State Senator Lisa Boscola an apology for re-posting this unforgivably awful quote. Take down this post, apologize and sign our Equality Pledge at www.nameitchangeit.org. You'll be a better man for it. You are better than this."

Actually, I'm not. But I had an unlikely defender. Capri Roth is one of the female bloggers who was tarnished by Boscola aide Kieklak. She and I have had major disagreements over ... just about everything. She explained my motivation to Sam, far better than I.

"Sam, I appreciate your points, but as neither Senator Boscola or Bernie Kieklak ever offered an apology to you or to me for his comments, I don't think its offensive to remind the readers of this blog that his behavior was not only tolerated, but ultimately rewarded by an elected official.

"Obviously Bernie O. can post or not post whatever he likes and that doesn't always reflect the wishes of his readers, but I personally don't prefer that those comments be forgotten or put in the past. If I were still a political blogger, I'd be posting those comments 7 days a week until Senator Boscola's next election."


Sam, if it is any consolation I did take the equality pledge.

"I vow to adhere to fair journalistic standards that promote truthfulness, accuracy, and objectivity. I will pro-actively work to treat all subjects with respect, regardless of gender, and to create an overall media culture in which sexism and misogyny have no place. I recognize that sexist and misogynistic language and representation do not uphold journalistic integrity and media outlet credibility. I pledge to do my part to prevent all instances of sexist and misogynistic coverage of women candidates, women leaders, and women of all walks of life, and to hold fellow journalists and media outlets accountable to this same standard of conduct."

I do want to make one exception. In the first sentence, the pledge calls for "objectivity." I reject that and believe no journalist or blogger is ever truly objective. I think it's more important to be up front than pretend to have a neutral point of view. But I agree with everything else and I can assure you my readers will tear me to shreds if I break my word.

OK, honey?

Just kidding.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, you are not better than that.

Your claim to honesty is bullshit. You are worse than a yellow journalist you are a yellow bloggist.

The last two years have opened peoples eyes to how unethical, dishonest and hypocritical you really are.

With you nose firmly up the butts of people like Ron Angle, John Stoffa, Charlie Dent and a few others you are a curiosity and a novelty. The only reason they give you the time of day is to keep you from doing your hatchet job on them.

You are a smellier and heavier version of Jabba the Hutt.

Sarah Palin said...

Lefties like Mike Donovan and Sam "Rakes" Bennett have been very kind and civil to women with conservative views. Bad boy, Bernie.

Michelle Bachman said...

I second that emotion. We vixens must stick together.

Clem said...

Mysogeny is a fault in Sam's enemies, a fucking virtue in her heroes.

Clem said...

mysogyny.

Anonymous said...

i apologize to the street whores in easton. they are actually better humna beings than bo

Anonymous said...

We agree with Bennett. To again post that disgusting comment is questionable. Why did you do it? Not enough clicks on your website?

Anonymous said...

Muhlenberg Soccer rules!

Bernie O'Hare said...

"To again post that disgusting comment is questionable. Why did you do it?"

Because people needed a reminder that Boscola refused to insist that Kieklak apologize to the people he offended.

monkey momma said...

I wonder if Sam Bennett wrote a letter like this to Sen. Boscola? It's Boscola that ought to be offering up apologies. After all, the quote originated with her office.

This is a classic "shoot the messenger" error on Bennett's part. But you gotta love how she manages to get in a big plug for herself despite everything.

If she thinks she lost the '08 race due to sexism, she really doesn't have a clue. Incompetence and corruption were her unraveling - nothing more, nothing less. Whether or not she was the victim of sexism had nothing to do with the voters' choice.

Personally, I think raising the issue of Boscola's personal problems with alcohol are over the line. She's not necessarily guilty by association, and I'd rather judge her on her merits in office. Sometimes, bad make-up happens, or ladies have been known to blush around the charming and handsome Callahan. But, Boscola IS responsible for speaking out against and responding to outrageous behavior on the part of her staffers. Since she has never apologized (to my knowledge) about the Kieklak remark, that is troublesome, and it should bother BENNETT more than anyone! Instead, a blogger reporting the facts gets slammed as the sexist. It makes NO SENSE. But I guess the lack of common sense is a common theme in any analysis of Sam Bennett.

Anonymous said...

I considered Boscola's documented remarks in which she stated a preference for performing fellatio over submitting to vaginal intercourse to be offensive and distasteful to men and women, alike. And Sam Bennett was silent.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Please, please, please when will Sam go away!

How sanctimonious to attack the blogger.

Get a life. People are tired of your worn out rhetoric Sam.

100 times I would not sign this pledge.

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree Bernie was wrong to write the whacko's statements about Sam Benett. Sal does good work and to bring this up again was a slam against her and all woman.

As for your other post about Boscola's office staff. Two members do not make a staff. I have had great response from her staff. They have helped me in many ways. They are always professional, courteous and polite.

Bernie you are stereotyping an entire office or the actions of a few. That's wrong.

Anonymous said...

Sammy is acting indignant because she's paid to. She just moves her incompetent butt from one phony non-profit to another collecting inflated salaries along the way. She should pledge to keep her insane, self-righteous comments to herself.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patrick McHenry said...

Sam Bennett said:

"Sadly, my race is now infamous as one of the most sexist this nation has ever seen..."

*********************************

What revisionist history!

Her race is infamous for her (incorrectly) declaring that a local bank had failed during her debate with Dent. The comment was so outrageous that the local TV station took the extraordinary step of censoring it from the air.

Sam didn't lose because of sexism, she lost because of stupidity.