About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Pam Varkony's Editorial Perspective Recognized by Media Group

Pamela Varkony, Allentown writer and former member of Allentown city council, is the founder of Power of Women. Although she no longer blogs at The Morning Call, he still is one of their regular op-ed columnists. As of today, she is also an award-winning columnist.

In the first year she ever submitted her work, she has won 2nd place in the Pennsylvania Women's Press Association statewide writing competition for Editorial Writers. She missed first place by only one point.

If I were her, I'd demand a recount.

Needless to say, Pam is ecstatic at this honor. "I try to write each column as if it will directly impact someone's life; being recognized for that effort is so rewarding. ... I am absolutely thrilled."

In addition to her op-ed column, Pam also maintains a popular independent poliblog, Pamela Varkony's Perspectives.

7 comments:

Bill said...

Props to Pam!

Anonymous said...

Well deserved.

Anonymous said...

Well done Pam. She deserves this prestigious accolaide. Her writing is exceptional.

Pamela Varkony said...

Blogmeister Bernie,

Thanks for the mention re: the PWPA win. And thanks to the folks who put up some very kind comments. To be recognized by your peers as was the case with this contest, is always the ultimate validation of one's work...

...which is why I would like to mention my female colleagues from The Morning Call who also won in their categories:

Genevieve Marshall,Debbie Garlicki, Diane Stoneback, Ann Wlazelek, and
Mariella Savidge.

When you consider that the competition was state-wide, I think it's safe to say the women of TMC did the Lehigh Valley proud. I'm honored to be in their company.

Anonymous said...

I've read Pam's writings over the years, and read her blog- congratulations! This is a well deserved award....

Anonymous said...

I've read Pam's writings over the years, and read her blog- congratulations! This is a well deserved award....

Anonymous said...

I've read Pam's writings over the years, and read her blog- congratulations! This is a well deserved award....