About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, July 18, 2022

Why Some Still Wear Masks

I really enjoyed wearing facemasks. It was a great reason to avoid shaving. Many people prefer me masked, although they'd like to see the mask made of duct tape. I fell out of the habit a few months ago and only rarely see them now. I was a bit surprised, on Saturday, to see an elderly man with one on the D&L Trail. 

I was cycling north and had just passed him near Slatington. It was still pretty muggy, so I stopped to drink some water. He caught up with me (not hard to do) and asked me whether he should be on the right or left side of the path. 

I told him it made no difference to me, but the etiquette on bike trails is that walkers stay to the right and are passed by cyclists on the left. He said that is contrary to what he had always been taught. He was taught to walk on the left side of a road so he can see traffic approaching him.

I agreed that is good practice on a road, and is something I do myself. I told him trail etiquette is flexible and what he said makes sense. 

As he spoke, I tried to keep away from him as he had a mask on and I thought he might be worried about contracting COVID. He could see me backing off and then explained he wears a mask on the trail to keep bugs from flying in his mouth. 

This guy was 85 years old and was walking as well as someone in his 20s. He was in incredible shape. 

I asked why he does not ride a bike. 

"My wife won't let me,"   

No comments: