About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Beware of Heat Exhaustion

In my younger days, I could go outside with a T-shirt and shorts in subzero weather. But I hated the heat. Now that I'm an old fart, cold weather makes me stiff and sore, while the heat actually loosens me up. So I love being outside to walk, run or cycle. Having said that, precautions must be taken to avoid heat exhaustion.  The chief among these is drinking lots of water. I missed up a bit on that on Sunday and yesterday, and was in the beginning stages of heat exhaustion. 

Most of my cycling is along shaded trails. The temperature is almost always a good 10 degrees cooler than on the open road. Even on my commutes to and from the courthouse, at least three miles are along a trail. But Sunday, I did a 20-mile road ride with no shade. I had only intended to ride about 10, so I had no water. On Monday, I had one or two errands in my commute, so I stayed on the roads for 24 miles. I started drinking in the final 12 miles, but by then I was beginning to get heat exhaustion. 

I've experienced heat exhaustion several times as a runner. Usually, I get a feeling of nausea and start bonking. That began on the ride home, so I stopped and drank 2 quarts of water on the ride home, Then I took an hour nap. I'm fine now, but know this can get out of hand fast if ignored.   

What really helps me in the beginning stages of heat exhaustion is to drink a fizzy drink.   

Today will be a light day at the gym.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time drink your urine you old fart.

Anonymous said...

This goes for animals too. Just yesterday heard a story from a vet tech of a Labrador this past weekend fetching a ball near a lake. The Lab never wanted to stop playing, because it's a Labrador, but it was in 100 degree weather, and his family thought since he wanted to keep running it was fine. Two days later under vet care, his organs started shutting down and he passed.

If you're hot they are too, and always carry water for them too. There are plenty of lightweight collapsible dishes to carry as well.

William Sherman said...

It's best not to exercise in such conditions

peterjcochran said...

Small children a susceptible because they don’t little and run around at higher rate . So hydrate your kids.

Anonymous said...

We are all animals, especially this group of LVR.

Anonymous said...

I put ice on the insides of my elbows after lots of exertion during especially hot weather. You veins and arteries run close to the surface there so the ice helps cool the blood quicker as it moves on. I have also found eating lightly but things like soup and some other broth heavy things help put fluids in your system because you are also ingesting nutrients.

For animals I freeze margarine tubs of water. And put it in their drinking bowls and the bird baths. It provides them with a cool drink on the really hot days.

Anonymous said...

As you learned never ride a bike without two containers of water and drink the whole time no matter how short the ride. The dog story breaks my heart

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks for the tips. I usually carry water, but need to drink more. I agree about pets. I always brought along water for her when we walked. But yes, you still exercise, even in the heat. You just slow it down and try to enjoy the scenery. If I lived farther south, I probably would try to get it done in the am or evening. Or limit myself to shaded trails.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Next time drink your urine you old fart."

I'm pretty disgusting, but that's a No. I eat too much garlic.