About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Doncevic:Prevent Church Closings By Letting Priests Marry

Steve Doncevic is upset about The Allentown Diocese' decision to close nearly fifty churches. He recently submitted an op-ed for publication in The Morning Call, suggesting it's time for The Catholic Church to permit its priests to marry ... again. For whatever reason, the paper declined. So I'll publish Mr. Doncevic's op-ed here.

As a lifelong Catholic, I look at the photos (The Morning Call, Sunday June 8, 2008) of the nearly 50 churches that the Archdiocese of Allentown will close and sell and I want to cry. I want to cry because I think of my Yugoslavian grandparents and the thousands like them of different ethnic groups who sacrificed and gave so much to build these churches in order to worship and praise their loving God. These are the churches of great-great grandfathers who dug foundations with pick and shovel, lifted timber with their backs and built walls brick by brick and stone by stone with their hands.

These are the churches of immigrants who worked the night shifts, middle shifts and day shifts in the damp, dusty and dangerous coal mines, the noisy hot and hazardous steel mills and the endless toil and drudgery of the factories. Many were buried alive, crushed, severely injured or disabled by lung diseases. They came to a new country with very, very little, worked very hard and gave to the Church.

They, their sons and grandsons went to war and they continued to give. They endured the Great Depression, recessions and unemployment and still they gave.

Their wives, daughters and granddaughters cleaned, volunteered, baked and cooked for the Church and they gave. Baptisms, marriages and funerals were celebrated in those churches and they gave and they gave and they gave.

And now, the Archdiocese of Allentown would close these 47 churches – churches nearly 100 years old and older, erected to the glory of our Heavenly Father.

Not only are the closures of these churches sacrilegious, they are contemptuous of the work of God and his children - blasphemy! Is this what is meant by Pope John Paul II’s call for “new evangelization in the church”?

While our Protestant brothers in Christ are planting and building churches around the world and in our own neighborhoods to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Catholic Diocese of Allentown is closing churches, in response, it says, to a growing shortage of priests.

A shortage of priests? Is it impossible for the Diocesan hierarchy to seek the ordination of its Deacons or to embrace its brother priests who left for the sacrament of marriage – a sacrament the church extols? Are these priests any less holy or less dedicated to the ministry of the church than their celibate brothers? Is mandated celibacy so important to the Diocesan hierarchy that they would destroy 47 churches named after saints whose works, dedication and sacrifice would shame the hierarchy?

According to Donald Cozzens, Ph.D., priest, writer and lecturer at John Carroll University and author of Freeing Celibacy, 2006, Liturgical Press, clerical celibacy did not become the norm until the 12th century. In fact, since the earliest centuries, it was normal for the clergy to be married.

As Father Cozzens so eloquently explains in his highly praised and thoroughly referenced 105 page book, “Clearly, the tradition of married priests, bishops and popes of the first millennium and the current practice of receiving Anglican and other married ministers into full communion with the Catholic Church (there are hundreds) dispels the claim of some traditionalist Catholics that celibacy is essential to the priesthood.”

Will the Most Reverend Edward P. Cullen, D.D. do everything in his power to continue the work of the Holy Spirit in these 47 churches or will he please Satan and his minions who wring their hands in glee as 47 churches that stand as bulwarks against the forces of evil in our society are to be relegated to the dust bins of history? This, the same Reverend Edward P. Cullen D. D. who was appointed vicar of administration under Cardinal Anthony Bevilaqua for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 1988. This, the same Reverend Edward P. Cullen, D.D. who, according to the 2005, 423 page grand jury report on priest sex abuse in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia (The Morning Call, September 23, 2005), helped Cardinals Anthony Bevilacqua and John Krol hide the deviates, molesters and rapists who destroyed the lives of hundreds of children and devastated their families.

After his complicity with the celibate brotherhood of Catholic hierarchs in enabling these sexual horrors against children and covering them up (The Morning Call, October 1, 2006), Reverend Edward P. Cullen was installed as Bishop of Allentown in 1998 by his mentor Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.

Will Bishop Cullen now also add to his legacy the destruction of 47 churches and the devastation he has wrought on the churches’ families?

Perhaps Bishop Cullen should contemplate the three words he has chosen as his motto, “Christ, Church, Compassion” which are articulated on the Diocesan website.

The churches he and his hierarchs would destroy belong to God and His children.

They do not belong to those who worship at the altar of mandatory celibacy supported by the pillars of absolute power and financial unaccountability.

They do not belong to those who ensconced themselves in the warmth of the rectories feasting on the gifts of ethnic foods from the women of the church while their husbands worked in the mines, mills and factories.

They do not belong to those inebriated with the absolute power that mandated celibacy affords them, those that would sooner extinguish the churches of the children of God rather than allow married priests into their domain.

And these 47 churches do not belong to men who portend to be men of god. Men of God do not close churches. Men of God pray and endeavor with every ounce of their being to fill and keep their churches.

That the children of God must appeal to the Diocese to keep their churches open, churches whose mortgages their fathers paid off generations ago, is an outrage! Where are the financial records? Who absconded with the deeds?

As Christ went into the temple (Matthew 21:12) and drove out the money changers, would he not go into the Diocese and drive out those who mock the financial sacrifices of His children?

May God bless, keep and strengthen his children in their resolve to keep the churches of their Heavenly Father and earthly fathers open. And may the good priests of the Diocese who worship at the foot of the Cross and not at the foot of the Diocesan hierarchy join with them. Amen.

24 comments:

Chris Miller said...

Bernie
The issue of celibacy is a large one and many Catholics are struggling with this issue, myself included. It has caused an evil in the church and that is the matter of homosexuality which certainly will cause a lad to think about going off to become a priest.
However, I do believe the Church needs to look at its message. While I can only speak for myself, I believe that the message about our goodness has caused people to move away from the Church. It goes a bit like this, my priest says I am a good person thus I no longer need to go to confession or worry about going to Mass. This has caused the decline in attendance, if I am good why do I need to go to or support the Church. I am a very long way from being perfect and maybe that is why I know that I need a good kick in that pants on a regular basis. As one priest put it, "no more cafeteria Catholicism"

michael molovinsky said...

bernie, interesting post, could you provide some background on steve doncevic? i haven't followed the church closings that carefully, i though the stated reason was more with lack of attendance than with lack of priests, although i realize that also is an issue.

Anonymous said...

My thought is that the reason attendance at Catholic churches is down has to do w/ the youth sex scandal. The Church did an absolutely abysmal job addressing this problem.

I remember when my Pastor read the "legal defense letter" that the Diocese had drafted at Mass - he was required to read it. He was embarrassed, and I was embarrassed for him, as well as revolted that it had come to that.

I absolutely support priests being able to marry. It won't solve all the problems, but it will help the Church recruit good people.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Mr. Doncevic is from Hellertown, where I grew up. At one time, he served as Hellertown's zoning officer.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Doncevic should be commended for this fine writing. I have no idea why the call would not print this as of would be in stark contrast to the boo hop pieces that the call wrote about parish closings. I don't feel sorry for the church in the least. They have pushed young people away and have lost their vision.

I think priest being allowed to marry is not the only thing that keeps young people out of the church. I believe things like refusal to give communion to parishioners whoa politics views are not in line with the church might be a turn off. The handling of the sexual abuse scandal is another, as one commenter pointed out. How about the leader of the church (former member of Hitler youth) making derogatory remarks about the prophet of the largest religion in the world. Forget about the fact they won't let women become priest and if you say you support that issue you risk excommunication.

I think the straw that ultimately broke my back was when the new pope re wrote the 7 deadly sins and added pedophilia to the list. These sins were written with no virtues to accompany them either. Rather short sided in my book.

This is typical Morning Call silencing opinions they done agree with. Mr. Doncevic should be published in the main stream. People need to hear this stuff.

Bernie O'Hare said...

It is an honor to publish Mr. Doncevic's well-written and timely op-ed. I have no idea why the MC refused to publish, but that's their call.

Anonymous said...

Excellent ...Excellent ...article! raises the political question as to who really owns our churches . . . the parishioners or the hierarchy.

i tend to think the problem is dwindling attendance and FINANCIAL SUPPORT rather than a shortage of priests because of celibacy (or ordaining women and gays, because those arguments come next).

perhaps as Benedict has suggested a return to greater orthodoxy will help. if the church returns to a more primary role in one's spiritual life, i am confident greater attendance and yes, more vocations, will result.

i believe the implications of Mr. Miller's remarks are valid; if we are all good anyway and in our multi-cultural mind-set, all denominations are equal anyway . . . then why bother, indeed.

it may be time for the Laity, led by Pre-Vatican II Catholics such as Mr. Miller, to assume more control.

the reintroduction of the Latin Mass could serve as a powerful symbol the tide is changing.

What say you, Mssrs. Doncevic....Miller ....and O'Hare?

Lighthouse said...

I grew up in a Byzantine (then called "Greek") Catholic family. The priest who baptized me back in the 1960s was married with children, so at one point the Pope did allow the eastern tradition of married clergy. Of course, even for that rite, celebacy has been required for decades. My point being that it is "man made" rule to begin with, including all the church politics that goes with it. Of course I do not see the "church" changing, no matter the consequence of its decline in clergy.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I like the Latin mass. Before I go all Mel Gibson on you, let me confide I'm a lousy Catholic and Christian who will burn in hell for a gazillion years. But there was always some peacefulness in that mass. It didn't matter where you were - it was always the same. Plus it helped improve my vocabulary.

Stephen G. Doncevic said...

Thanks for the comments and compliments,folks. Bernie,my Dad was the zoning officer in Hellertown for about 20 years after
his 33 years as a steelworker. He'll be 85 this year. I too grew
up in Hellertown and was a steelworker for about 30 years, served with the Army in Vietnam, got my BA at Moravian in '74 and by the Grace of God completed my MA at Marywood U. in Scranton in2003. Thanks again for publishing me, Bernie.

Anonymous said...

Celibacy in the Roman Catholic church was instituted for one reason only: to put an end to married priests acquiring and bequeathing church property and assets to their wives and offspring. It has nothing to do with "purity" or facilitating an exclusive focus on ministering to a congregation. Celibacy is about money and making sure it doesn't get away-- a Catholic church concept that will likely never become outdated.

I was in a Roman Catholic (Vincentian) seminary in the late 1960s studying to be a priest. I might be a priest today, if not for the celibacy requirement, and leading the congregation in daily protest marches at The Morning Call demanding the resignations of those MC big shots who grossly and gleefully abuse their communications gate-keeping power monopoly whenever they feel like it because they have no competition in Allentown.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why the MC refused to publish, but that's their call.

Seriously? That article has no place on an op-ed page.

"... or will he please Satan and his minions who wring their hands in glee as 47 churches that stand as bulwarks against the forces of evil in our society are to be relegated to the dust bins of history?"

Maybe in the Religion section.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Hayshaker,

I've read strong religious opinions in may LTEs and op-eds. Moreover, the decision to close those churches was front page news. This is a timely topic for opinion. That includesd religious opinion. We are strnegthened by diversity in viewpoints.

So I really do have no idea why this was not published by the MC. But as I said, that is their determination. I don't tell them what to write about and they don't tell me what to blog.

bob said...

Is celibacy the reason for reduced church attendance? I think not. I believe it is a priest problem but it is not whether or not they can be married. It is, however, a contributing factor.
The main reason for reduced attendance is quite simply a church out of touch with the changing society. The church, the bishop and the priests, just don't know the people or the changes in society.
When is the last time you saw bishop Cullen leave the mansion on Chew Street? When do you see priests out mingling with people other than with their rich friends? Priests are like judges, put a black robe on them and they think they are Gods.
Try to sit down with a priest and talk about society's problems, politics and, God forbid, religion.
I will say that the one real positive of married priests is that they will quickly understand life's problems. I have much better discussions with my friends on religion than I have ever had with a priest.
Enough of my ramblings. Praise Jesus the Christ and may he walk along side of you.

Chris Miller said...

Consigliere
Thank you for the compliment but I am a post Vatican II Catholic. I came to the Catholic Church in 1994. I was reared a Lutheran, graduated from Moravian College in 1966, and became an Episcopalian in 1967 because that was the religion of my new bride. I got to the Catholic Church via AA, an oganization I entered in 1982. It took me 12 years to get back to the Church.
I also want to note that this particular item done by my friend Bernie O'Hare, has brought out a lot of concerns, thoughts, cares of worshhippers and suggested solutions. Like Bernie, who will not spend eternity in Hell, I am concerned at this time of my life with my soul. I am not interested in spending my time in Hell. But I have a long way to go and I need a reminder of that on a regular basis. After the missus, the Church keeps me reminded of what I am suppose to do.

Anonymous said...

"I got to the Catholic Church via AA, an oganization I entered in 1982."

AA Tradition Eleven-- Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

Anonymous said...

this is a worthwhile thread; great conversation! more jesus....more guns ...we'll shape up this community in no time!

Bernie O'Hare said...

AA Tradition Eleven-- Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

That is an AA tradition, not a rule. AA has no rules. Some AA members prefer anonymity while others prefer to identify themselves.

Anonymous said...

"Some AA members prefer anonymity while others prefer to identify themselves."

... to each other, sure, and to other non-AA member alcoholics reaching out for help, yeah. But announcing AA membership at the "level of press, radio and films" (and blogs?) is traditionally bad form and a member with (presumably) 26 years under his belt should know better.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Like I said, AA has no rules, as I'm sure you know. What suits one person may not suit another. I may disagree w/ Chris' political views on nearly everything, but don't consider his disclosure of membership in AA as bad form. I'm sorry to drift OT like this, but I know many AA members who openly acknowledge their membership. Remember, there are many paths ...

Anonymous said...

RE: the original topic...when I married my husband 30 years ago, I had to leave my home parish and join my husband's up here. Did I miss my faith community and the beautiful church where I grew up and had the sacraments? YES!! Did it take awhile to adjust to a new community, priests and even church building itself? YES!! Did I make a conscious decision to become engaged in my new parish and has it been very fulfilling? YES!! Did it change my faith which has nothing to do with a building or even other human beings? NO!!!! I quickly met some of the most wonderful people that I will know in my life. You carry your faith in your heart and soul. It shouldn't be shaken by anyone whether it be priest, bishop, demographic shift or location. Life is full of disappointments. It's the next life that matters.

bob said...

Lady Rep I believe you are missing the point of the discussion. Why i attendance down? What is the cause of it?
The discussion is focused on a real problem that the church refuses to address.
Why do fundamental churches in the valley seem to be so successful in growth and economics. I am glad that you adapted in your marriage.
But the catholic church only addresses the decline in membership by closing down churches.

Anonymous said...

Try demographic shift...and then there are the ones that want coffee after church, but don't want to do set-up or clean-up (I've had someone actually tell me this), or they aren't entertained enough, so they go church shopping. I'm not a hierarchy-oriented kind of girl, but I stand by my premise.

Anonymous said...

Nice piece, but I think the author omits a very strong argument, namely, that the Catholic Church HAS MARRIED PRIESTS !! The Uniates -- Ukranian Orthodox in communion with Rome -- have married priests. Look it up.