About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, June 05, 2008

I Hate Format For "Community Dialogue" on Hate

As I mentioned yesterday, AJ and I attended this morning's packed "community dialogue" about hate at Allentown's Palace Banquet and Conference Center. His recap of the event, located here, is an excellent and accurate summary, written soon after the event by someone who obviously majored in journalism.


What I can tell you, as a nonjournalist, is that the place was packed with nearly fifty people, a very diverse group from all over the Lehigh Valley. But because of a poor format, we never really heard from each other. One reason for this meeting, stated at the onset, is a recent increase in hate crime. The Holmes family was there in force, too, all pretty much seated at the same table. I was looking forward to hearing Kari Holmes, victim of a recent racial assault, share what had happened. Allentown cops were there, too. I'd wanted their side of the story.

But instead of allowing that to happen, meeting organizers decided on a bunch of mini-meetings at each table. So although I was able to hear a lot from the five or six very interesting people who sat with me, I heard nothing from anyone else. The Holmes were deprived of an opportunity to share their story with us. So were the Allentown police. It's inaccurate to call this sort of meeting a real community dialogue.

Allentown police officers, all seated at one table with other city employees, were able to tell each other what they already know. AJ and I, the bloggers, did the same. Ditto the Holmes family.

This is no real dialogue. Did I learn anything? Only that a large group of people had something to say, but was unable to share its knowledge. It's a great idea, but needs a different format.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Retired ASD teacher here.

Just another reminder, I continue to see evidence The Morning Call Forum is a complete sham.

If I go there with my actual IP address, I am blocked from even viewing post responses. If I go there using a rotating IP address, I can do whatever I want.

Why, you might ask, do I even continue to go there? I suppose it's because my career has been based upon giving others the benefit of the doubt, the courtesy of the floor, the dignity of participating in discussion without malice.I continue to seek evidence The Morning Call shares my view. Til then, I will probably be unsettled.

The rampant, tolerated, racism on The Morning Call internet pages continues today with the latest controversy over an Easton Area School District administrator's contract not being renewed.

John Micek, where are you?

All I can do, I guess, is everything I can as a private citizen to discredit the Morning Call's conduct, conduct I find to be outrageous.

Sam Zell, you are about to receive another private message.

Anonymous said...

Retired ASD teacher here (again).

Reading over my last post, I realize my thoughts could be interpreted as justification as to why all the racist crap is allowed to be posted on The Morning Call Forum.

Maybe I need to clarify.

I have been blocked for providing views in support of public education, teachers, and how public education is funded. Political views, I suppose. Evidently, views The Morning Call doesn't want out in public.

Racist views, however, are allowed to flourish. Where is the public service in that?

I just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I have to kind of agree with the writer. I was there too and Kari nor the police spoke about the incident. (And this would've been a perfect platform) But what I thought was worse was when the Mayor spoke about two major racial incidents that have occurred in the Valley and he mentioned a racist article that was printed by the Morning Call early last year and the Bethlehem school board incident. Again, Kari's incident was "bumped" while she was in the same room. Go figure....

Alfonso

Blah Society said...

I think this event was meant to "break the ice." Hopefully, the next event is more organized and certain topics are discussed. This seemed like more of an introduction.

Those who were there, in our group at least, seemed like they knew what they wanted to say before coming. Since the notes were submitted and will be reviewed, I expect better things to come.