About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Americans are Prima, not Schwein

This is the third in a series of entries from my father's recently-discovered dairy. He kept it about a week after his release from a German POW camp. Just a few weeks before, German people cursed and threw rocks as my father and other prisoners carried dead bodies to huge funeral pyres in Dresden. Now they are "Prima!"
5/19/45

I was awakened this morning by that good old American "you gotta get up" bugle call. I must confess that it was the first time in my life that it ever sounded good. No doubt in four or five days I will be back in the old routine of cursing it. All eight of us met the chow line early in order to assure ourselves of 'seconds.' We were successful in the endeavor. In fact we were successful for all three meals by religiously following the same procedure. It makes one feel piggish but I know of nothing better to help that empty stomach feeling.

The highlight of the day consisted of the introduction and confirmation of a rumor that we are moving back to our own lines tomorrow. It seems that we will march out to some motor pool about three kilometers from here and there we will entruck. G.I. coffee and 'shokolade' here I come.

The Russkies had a band serenading us this afternoon. It consisted of 15 pieces and stressed the bass section. They were very good and we all enjoyed the Russian music. One American piece "Rose Marie" was played, and it brought down the house. Aside from listening to the band concert and eating, all I have done all day is sleep. I won't be worth anything when I get back to the states.

However, I am becoming anxious to get to law school. I hope I won't have to go back to college to finish earning my degree. Nevertheless, if there is one thing I have learned in the past half year it is 'things will be as things will be.' I don't believe I'll ever be demonstratively impatient again.

James, Kruse and I have plans to play a little rummy this evening. We played last night and of course Jones won. That joker has more pure, unmitigated luck than anyone I have ever come across.

All the fellows here expect to be flown back to the states. I can't picture myself admiring the Atlantic ocean from the windows of a C-47 but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Should it so happen it will certainly be wonderful. The sooner I get to see the best set of parents in the world the happier I will be. I'll bet a Jerry luper there are a lot of changes in the old town. With luck I will soon see for myself.

There was a Tommy over to see us today. He came uninvited and when he left statements such as "come back soon" were conspicuously absent. All of us Americans are set up in much finer style here than the English. It seems that Joe [Stalin?] doesn't care too much for them. After the way they've bled us we can appreciate his sentiments. They've had no cigarettes issued since they've been here whereas all of us are smoking ourselves silly on Chesterfields, Luckies, and Camels. That's just one more condition that the end of the war has set back to normal.

Everything that we have been or rather had been reduced to by our stay in Germany has been rectified. I've had Germans beg me for food, clothing, and cigarettes. The mention of the magic word 'American' elicits "prima" instead of 'schwein.' The past week has effected quite a change in Germany and certainly as far as we are concerned it is a change for the better.

(First published in 2007)

26 comments:

Susan said...

So did your Dad eventually go to law school?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yep. He graduated in '48. Because he had two years of college, the law school admitted him without a degree. He graduated in '48 with a Bachelor of Law instead of a J.D. No jury ever seemed to notce.

river said...

the Red Cross brought the cigarettes and other small items for the prisoners. Thats why the Nazi soldiers were begging for them. The Nazi's were without everything too at that point .

Bernie O'Hare said...

River, Only a small portion of the German army or people were honest-to-goodness Nazi.

Bernie O'Hare said...

No River, you don't pull out all stops just to win. That's what makes us different. That's what nauseated my father and Vonnegut. That's why someone like Severson is so repulsive.

Also, your understanding of history is really way off. Hitler was no great man. He came to office by preying on people's fears and prejudices, helped along by a bit of violence.

You don't slaughter innocents.

Snivelling Poet said...

Who is this "river"?

I don't understand the dilemma he seems to have with Bop's journals.
As a History major (and a family) member I am taking serious issue with his comments.

His comments from yesterday and today are ridiculous at best. The bombing of Dresden happened in FEB of '45. I've read that Germany's airforce at this time numbered somewhere in the hundreds. Hardly seems like a kill or be killed situation. Germany had no defense, and Dresden was especially a sitting duck. In fact, 'river' says it in his comment: "The Nazis were without everything too at that point." (11:45)

Perhaps his understanding of History has come from the Hitler (I mean History) Channel.

By the way Uncle Bernie. One of my classes wants to start a petition to the morning call that would ask them to require registration on their online forum. About half of them are minorities, and they are very upset about the situtation. It should interesting to see some of the posts after the double-homicide last night.

Erik

Bernie O'Hare said...

Snivelling Poet, aka Erik,

That story resulted in so many hateful comments that the comments feature was finally closed down, and I commend the MC for doing so. Having said that, what your students propose is an excellent idea. I have emailed the MC to ask to meet with them next week. I think they are reasonable people, and I think it's reasonable to expect them to take more responsibility for what goes on at that forum. Registration is a reasonable requirement.

river said...

Dear Poet, tens of millions died in WWII. That is fact. I, nor the few remaining WWII vets don't need you or anyone else trying to sugar coat that fact or trying to rewrite WWII 60 years after the fact. Save your woulda, coulda, shoulda for the next election. If our WWII vets didn't win that war, you would not have a right to say anything.

river said...

bernie seems like all your relatives will be bloging here for the holidays. Merry Christmas... oh geez.. maybe all you bernie lawyers will object to that too... sorry :):)

Anonymous said...

At least We're not sugarcoating Hitler.

river said...

Sniv Poet said" Hardly seems like a kill or be killed situation. Germany had no defense, and Dresden was especially a sitting duck. In fact, 'river' says it in his comment: "The Nazis were without everything too at that point." (11:45) Hi Poet What do you think the Londoners felt in 1939/40, and Poland , and France,... want me to keep going? I honestly think if you were in their shoes you would change your mind but quick about all your Mr Nice Guy stuff.

river said...

if someone is shooting at you, don't waist time reading the Geneva Convention rules... chances are the shooter could care less. Thats sort of like Gang killings and gun laws. 128 N. 13th street Easton,Pa 18042

Anonymous said...

Who is this River moron? He'd fit right is with those Nazis he pretends to condemn.

river said...

I am the same moron as all you others who bother with these blogs... i welcome you all.

Anonymous said...

Erik said...
At least We're not sugarcoating Hitler.

4:04 PM""" I did not sugar coat Hitler.. please reread my comment

Anonymous said...

Sorry Uncle Bernie. Didn't want to start a fight on your blog. Hopefully he won't be going around pretending to be me on a morning call forum.

River, I realize you didn't truly mean to sugarcoat Hitler. But, you did call .. ahhhem .. "a great man." I don't know if someone who takes advantage of a bad situation can ever be called great. Basically, he used a dire situation in Germany to complete a plan he had been developing for years up to that. His welfare in the 1930s was nothing more than a step in the process. Perhaps you mispoke, but it still doesn't forgive you for calling him "great."

It's not that I promote "nice guy stuff." What you are talking about is revenge. And in this case, a revenge that includes the murder of hundreds of thousands of people. I am not willing to stand aside for that. I once heard a man say that revenge is like walking into the woods; once you get lost, it's hard to find your way out. And I think that's what happened in World War II (and is still happening today in the Middle East).

The bombing of Germany between 1940 and 1945 absolutely won the war for the allies. No question; without we all might be speaking German. But, the fact of the matter is, that in the last 6 months of the war, US and English bombers could have sat on their bases and Germany would have crumbled. Their whole infrastructure was demolished. To make matters worse, the weapons were not even convential; they weren't using just blockbusters, and so forth. The majority of all bombing tonnage fell into the category of incendiary weapons. Or, sticks made especially to start cities on fire. They were built specifically for HUMAN targets ... something that still disgusts me to this day.

Signed,
"Nice Guy"

Bernie O'Hare said...

Erik, You should not have to explain what is so painfully obvious.

river said...

once again, woulda shoulda coulda. We can play this game for a million years. Did anyone know for a fact at that time that Germany did not have an Atomic weapon? No. They were producing heavy water for years. How did we know if they had one ready to use. They had the first jet fighter planes. Anyway, my whole point of this whole thing is and was... if you read my original posts, that it is not up to us to second guess or be arm chair historians by trying to tell the Greatest Generation what they should or should not have done 62 years ago. If you want to do that i am sorry, but you will just trip over your own feet.

Bernie O'Hare said...

River, You are not as member of the greatest generation. My father was. So was Vonnegut. So were their friends. They were disgusted by the firebombing of Dresden. This is a timeless question of morality. You've shown where you come down.

Anonymous said...

Aside from all the politics and questions of morality or immorality, this journal is a picture of one soldier's experience during possibly the worst time in history. The "greatest generation" is quickly passing off the scene and here we can see a snapshot of why they are called the "greatest generation". There's no whining, no self pity, concern for family, hope for the future. We can all learn a lot of lessons from these brave men and women

river said...

river said...
bernie, I hope you are not going to be deleting posts and be one sided just like Axis Sally and Tokyo Rose were. I have family roots to WWII also. My dad and all my uncles were in it.

11:58 AM

river said...

My Father(1923-2003) and all my uncles were in WWII and members of the greatest generation. My brother was in Vietnam and my one grandfather was in WWI, and my other grandfather was in the Spanish-American war.

Anonymous said...

'Things will be as things will be.' Pops O'Hare coined the original 'It is what it is' phrase.

Anonymous said...

WWII was not what we thought it was. I feel badly so many of our greatest were wasted as fodder. Patton knew.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these precious diary notes

Anonymous said...

4.59
"The bombing of Germany between 1940 and 1945 absolutely won the war for the allies."
---Not even close to reality.
The actions of the US,Brits etc affected the duration of the war but not the outcome.
The outcome was decided by the Russians as they crushed the German Army.
The last attempt to turn the tide by Germany happened at KURSK in July 1943.
Germany lost that battle.