About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, February 19, 2010

Classy People

Anybody who spends any time reading a blog is well aware that there are lots of nasty people out there. This week, even I was shocked by the number and intensity of venomous comments and false accusations directed at Northampton County Exec John Stoffa, former Exec Jerry Seyfried and Council Prez Ron Angle. But I saw something Wednesday night that really encouraged me, and want to share that story with you.

Marc Basist, Geoff Brace, Robert George and John Hofmann, were sitting in the Lehigh County Government Center's meeting room. These were four of the five applicants seeking appointment to the Board of Commissioners. But as you know, none of them was selected. The job instead went to William Hansell, who was in Florida.

Now Commissioners could only select one person, and they did make an outstanding choice, but even I - a mere spectator - was disappointed when it was over. I can only imagine how they felt. Each of them really did have something unique to offer.

I can also tell you one thing they all had in common - class. Rather than making a quick exit after the vote, they all stayed throughout the entire meeting. And when it was over, they each went up to the dais and began thanking Commissioners for their time and consideration.

Anybody can be magnanimous in victory, but handling a setback with grace and humility, is a rare quality. Especially in government.

I hope we see these people again.

11 comments:

Sanctifying Grace said...

Oh man! I can't wait to see where and how many blogs are going to use this picture. I hope I get copyrights to it. I'll be raking in the $$$!

Peace, ~~Alex

Bernie O'Hare said...

I think I look beautiful, baby!

Anonymous said...

When Jerry and Ron put in for the Northampton County council interim. Neither would bad mouth the other. When Jerry got the position, Ron got up and told Council Jerry was a friend and great pick and publicly congratulated Jerry.

Every now and then there is some class in Northampton County. I think it is with some of the veteran guys that use to be around!

Bernie O'Hare said...

The 3 AM troll loves Heckman & hates Jerry, Stoffa, & Angle.

John R Hofmann Sr. said...

It was indeed an honor to be one of the original twelve and subsequently one of the five finalists. In my opinion the Commissioners made a sound choice considering what lies ahead. Hansell has years of experience to draw from and can hit the ground with both feet running.
I wish him and the County the best.

Anonymous said...

The tone of class was set easly by Glenn. Glenn's leadership during the interview process was amazing. Had that tone not been established from the first minute, who knows how this would have been handled.

I echo John's comments. What an absolute honor!

Anonymous said...

As a resident of Allentown and the chair of the city Republican committee, I was extremely disappointed in the selection of Hansell as commissioner. Bill is quite competent no question about that. But Bill is a liberal democrat, a Pawlowski supporter, and was activily promoted by Cunningham. Last night Dean Browning gave up republican control of the commission to the democrats.
There simply were better, more conservative candidates.
All Republicans were adversely affected by the vote last night.
Bob Romancheck

Anonymous said...

sorry, I didn't sign my comment at 10:56 AM.

Geoff

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Leinert was replaced with a cood candidate with values equal to his. That was the will of the people when they originally voted from Bill. Oh wait Rpublicans don't care about that. They simply want to push their agenda right or wrong. Sorry I forgot that is how you guys roll.

Browning is to be commended for his pick and that he did not let partisan politics get in the way. Focus on Allentown Republicans if you can find any.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bern, I read and re-read the anon 3:27 post and I don't see where the poster is insulting or hating anyone. If anything it sounds like a respectful post about people acting like decent people. I know all of them and I believe that is probably how it went down even though I was not at the meeting. My understanding is both Jerry and Ron have a lot of respect for each other. I know Jerry was helpful to Ron when he ran for County office and Ron has said that Jerry was one of the best County Executives the County has had.

I don't know about some "3 AM troll" but I think your response was a bit harsh.

Randy

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Randy,"

The 3 AM troll hates Stoffa and Angle, and will bash both at every opportunity. I've had to put up with it and so have most of mmy readers. I let that comment stand only bc it was complimentary, but as a ruule, he will be deleted.