Becky Bartlett worked during Lamont McClure's administration in NorCo as a Deputy Administrator. I think I knew her before then because she volunteered in several state house races here in the Nazareth area. She handled his news releases. I sometimes see her and her husband, walking their dogs, and scared them half to death when I rode by them very early in the morning on a hot summer day.
Becky also is the publisher of Upper Nazareth Meetings hyperlocal blog, where she keeps a very close eye on what is going on there, and with far fewer opinions than I inject into my stories. But she certainly has them and was at Northampton County Council last week to share her concern that Hercules Cement wants to unleash mor nitrous oxide into the atmosphere. Here's what she had to say:
On August 1, 2026, the Hercules Cement Company (Buzzi Unicem), posted a Public Notice in The Morning Call in regard to lowering the control of its emissions of “nitrogen oxides and/or volatile organic compounds” at their plant in Stockertown./p>
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) describes nitrogen oxides (NO x) as a cause of respiratory irritation, worsened asthma and decreased lung function. Volatile organic compounds (VOC) cause eye, nose and throat irritation, headaches, nausea, loss of coordination and damage to the liver. Some VOCs are also classified as suspected carcinogens.
The Lehigh Valley is ranked as having one of the highest concentrations of asthma cases. We are 6th in the nation for asthma-related ER visits. The Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America’s “2025 Asthma Capitals Report” ranks Allentown as the 3rd worst location for people with asthma. The American Lung Association’s 2025 “State of the Air” report ranks our area as 50th for particle pollution with Northampton County as the worst county in the region for ground level ozone and short-term particle pollution.
I am requesting that, in the interest of protecting the health of our residents, County Council files a formal objection to Buzzi Unicem’s request to decrease the control of their emissions of nitrogen oxides and/or volatile organic compounds within the 30-day comment period. Written comments may be submitted to Mark Weikszner, Program Manager, Air Quality Program at 2 Public Square, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702-1915 or meikszner@pa.gov.
Later in the meeting, Exec Tara Zrinski, a committed environmentalist long before she was ever a politician, made clear that she would file formal objections. This is something we all can do.
My friends on the right will complain that government regulations can be burdensome and just add red tape. And in many cases, they are right. But there's a difference between that and what really are protections desgned to protect the health and safety of our loved ones.
12 comments:
Hope TZ is a better environmentalist than she is a politician.
While the sky is falling were we able to strike down those evil plastic straws?
There’s a lot missing from this post and Ms. Bartlett’s original blog that needs to be clarified.
For instance, I understand what a statement like raising the output of nitrous oxide into the atmosphere means, but the application actually appears to ask for “lowering the control” of its emissions. Does that mean the same thing, or does it mean something like cutting down on outside inspections or that some other suppression equipment is no longer needed? Perhaps the company or the EPA can offer a clearer explanation in that regard.
I’m admittedly not an expert on this subject, but I think that actual facts (with numbers) are important. What’s the number for nitrous oxide emissions from the plant now, and what would that number change to if the request were granted? Again, facts and numbers.
I’m not sure how relevant Ms. Bartlett’s point about Allentown and asthma is to the issue, other than to say that the area is already bad in that regard. If the point of the statement is to imply that the change would make Allentown’s air quality worse, I’m not sure how relevant it is. The prevailing winds in Allentown mostly come from the west and the south, so I don’t think whatever happens in Stockertown would have much effect on Allentown.
Overall, if I had to name one issue that’s degraded the air quality in the Valley the most over the last few years, it’s the smoke from wildfires in Canada. I’ve lived in the Lehigh Valley most of my life and this seems to be a relatively new problem.
In addition to County Council doing their due diligence on the Hercules Cement request, I’d welcome similar scrutiny and a resolution from NorCo Council about the effects of the wildfires, and asking that Canada do a better job in their forest management practices.
Even the paranoid face real dangers.
@7:04 You're a jackass!
Yet, when local-yokels finally make it impossible for a place like this to reasonably run their business, they will moan and groan about “the loss of good-paying jobs”.
There are only so many x-ray tech and phlebotomist jobs to go around.
Residents of 18064 live an average of 79.3 years. The US average is 78.4. Let's concentrate on actual issues. Somebody needs a hobby.
LOL.. Trump is that you? Obviously you’re a big fan because oddly enough that his only concern also now! lol
We experience smoke from Canada a few weeks out of the year. Hey there genius how do they stop it? Please do share. And wildfires are uncontrollable sources of pollution, a cement plants output is controllable. Apples to oranges my friend. LMAO - wildfires… lol
Proper forest management practices reduces the possibility of forest fires. We’ve been doing that here for at least 75 years.
And those “few weeks” a year, at the ppm levels we’ve been experiencing, can do a great deal of damage to your health.
Idiot.
@5:15 Civility isn't your strong suit is it? Here is the daily Trump comment whether it makes sense or not. You're just a sad little genuis.
I guess You are a Trumper as you don't care about the health of others. If you think it not that bad then move next to the plant and breath it all in!
Before receiving the comment at 10:28, I received a number of anonymous personal attacks aimed at Becky. None bothered to address the substance of her concern. 10:28 does and those of you who have just as anonymously attacked him personally should try to do the same.
In response to 10:28, I agree it would be helpful to know what amount is released now, but at a time when we experience very poor air quality in the LV, a byproduct of being in a valley, I think any increase is a bad idea.
The widfires do not emit nitrous oxide, but small miniscule particles (PM2.5). That is also emitted by engine exhaust and industrial emissions. The wildfires knocked me for a loop a few years ago when I insisted on exercising outdoors in unhealthy weather. We had a PM2.5 problem long before the wildfires.
Post a Comment