About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, November 24, 2023

West Easton Blogger and Borough Council Member Matt Dees Has Passed Away

Matt Dees, a West Easton Borough Council member and local blogger, lost his battle with cancer a few days ago and has passed away. 

A Navy sub veteran, he moved here from Nevada in 1992, and settled in West Easton in 2012. Before he ever ran for local office, he established a blog presence in West Easton, and even prepared videos of many oft he borough council meetings. He was elected to borough council in 2016, and served as President for two years.

He promoted transparency and accountability, both in public office and on his blog.  

I was proud to consider him a friend and am very saddened to learn of his death. I've never seen him lose his temper, even under the most trying of circumstances. If I had concerns about a story, I could always talk to him and get good advice, which I usually ignored. 

Dees was also a bus driver for special needs children, although I believe he recently retired. 

I learned of his death as a result of anonymous comments I received from a West Easton resident gloating about it. Some of you know who this person is. I'll leave it at that. I am unwilling to share details about his funeral arrangements. He may have been a proponent of transparency, but should be able to rest in peace.    

9 comments:

Vladimir Ill-itch said...

Rest in peace, Matt.

I know who and what you're referring to. Matt must have had nerves of steal and an unwavering temperament to deal with that.

Anonymous said...

An honest and honorable man - few left.

Bernie O'Hare said...

He did.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Dees sounds like a class act who wanted the best for his community. The gloater, however, only focuses on self, which must be a sad, lonely existence. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend, Bernie.

peterjcochran said...

Submariners are vetted before they ever enter specific training to work under the water. They are almost always people with extremely stable personalities and higher intellect than the rest of us. That leaves me out too.

Anonymous said...

Matt Dees was a good man who put community first. He will be missed.

Carl said...

This explains why there was nothing coming out of his blog for a while. I have been watching his link and waiting. Another descent one gone. Cancer sucks.

Anonymous said...

She has no shame

Anonymous said...

Sorry for his family and for your loss