About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Former Exec Doing His Part to Reduce Gas Prices

Gerald E. "Jerry" Seyfried is Northampton County's father of open space. He started most of the open space programs that were later built upon by John Stoffa and, most recently, Lamont McClure. Though he grew up in the Bethlehem projects, he developed a love for the outdoors. He's an avid hunter and makes the most fantastic deer jerky you'll ever eat. He's an accomplished archer who at one time was nationally ranked. He's very active. But believe it or not, he knew very little about the wonderful bike paths scattered throughout the Lehigh Valley. 

Until now. 

Yesterday, I introduced Jerry to the Tatamy Trail. This is a great path extending for 3.5 miles from Main Street in Tatamy to the Binney & Smith offices in Palmer. You can keep going from there to Heil Park or the Palmer Bike Path, but it gets hilly. 

Jerry had not been on a bike for years, but had no problems at all along this very level and macadamized trail. It runs parallel to Bushkill Creek, which means it's always cool. Hills running along the western side block the wind.

I've been doing most of my riding on roads so far this year to save on gas while getting some good exercise. But I still love Tatamy Trail. Yesterday, near the old Northampton Farm Bureau, I saw a stand with loaves of bread waiting to be eaten. I was trying to keep up with Jerry so I was unable to stop. 

In the photo you see, Jerry was just trying the bike. For the actual ride, he wore a helmet. Decades ago, while racing a bunch of kids, I took a nasty spill in which my head pretty much destroyed a wooden fence. I was wearing no helmet and woke up on a ride to the hospital. Now I never ride without one. 

In addition to cycling, I see numerous walkers, runners, fishermen, rollerbladers and skateboards on that trail. 

8 comments:

Chris E (Nazareth) said...

The handlebars on that bicycle appear too narrow. It causes shoulder, neck pain, and wrist pain. A good idea would be to install wider bars that sweep back. This allows your upper body to open up and relax and puts your weight more on your butt and less on your wrists. I have a early-90’s era Cannondale which had very narrow, straight bars which was the style at the time. I installed very wide BMX style bars with a bit of a rise. It allows my upper body to open up and puts less pressure on my wrists because it makes me naturally sit back in the seat instead of leaning forward on the bars. Bike set up is critical to those of us who are no longer spring chickens. And an improperly fitted and set up bike is the main reason people don’t ride bike more often; it’s only comfortable for like 30 minutes and then everything hurts.

Anonymous said...

Where is this place that sells bread, I am hungry for some good bread.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Chris, My Cannondale has a very wide handlebar. My other two bikes have more narrow handlebars. On the Jamus you see, there is an extension at the end of the bars. What you say does make sense. It could explain why I instinctively like my Cannondale for longer rides. To me, the most important thing is the brake. Then it is saddle height being proper. I'm a piker, lol.

A concerned citizen of the Valley said...

I second your endorsement of helmets while cycling. I was a bicycle delivery man in Philadelphia while I was a college student at Temple University. One of the other delivery men got hit by a taxicab and suffered a brain injury. I have worn a helmet ever since. There are so many bad drivers and factors beyond even the prudent cyclist's control.

Anonymous said...

Jeans and boots Jerry needs to borrow some of your spandex and cleated shoes he could be a contenda

Anonymous said...

As a regular helmet wearer, I've always thought their chief utility is in preventing minor incidents from causing major traumatic injury. A helmet won't help too much in a major crash. But most crashes are minor dumps, with the potential for devastating trauma. I won't ride without one. I like the handlebar advice above, also. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Martin's Potato Rolls are a hot item in PA right now.

Anonymous said...

Martins Potato Rolls are popular right now!