About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, July 23, 2012

Saucon Rail Trail Beckons

Saucon Rail Trail, Hellertown
One of the Lehigh Valley's greatest features is its abundance of walking, cycling and running trails. Whether its the macadam surface of the suburban Palmer Bike Path or the shaded serenity of Nor-Bath Trail, it's always a treat to visit these former trolley and rail lines.

For my money (which is nothing, because they're all free), the Lehigh Canal tow path is the best of 'em all. From Allentown's Canal Park to the Bethlehem Boat Club, you can travel 10.4 miles in one direction. For endurance athletes or avid cyclists, you can even extend your trip into downtown Easton.

Yesterday, for the first time, I checked out the Saucon Rail Trail, a 5-mile stretch of former SEPTA line between Hellertown and Upper Saucon Community Park. I've heard lots of good things about this path, but wanted to see for myself.

Caleb Walsh, age 4, and younger brother Declan, prepare for speed record
First, it has to be the widest of all the bike paths I've traveled in the Lehigh Valley. That's a big plus for family rides. Second, the surface - crushed stone - is perfect for running, yet remains gentle enough for even a road bike. Third, no surprises. Portions of most trails have rocks or tree roots that have taken me out more than once. This surface seems to be much more carefully groomed. Fourth, except for a half mile or so in Hellertown, it is well-shaded. Fifth, it is certainly the most level course I've ever ridden. It's a very slight incline, nearly imperceptible, from Hellertown to Upper Saucon's Park. Finally, drivers at intersecting roads are remarkably courteous. They all slowed down and stopped when they saw me, even though they have no obligation to yield to a cyclist. (Maybe they were luring me in).

Any downsides to this path? One minor complaint. No mile markers. At least none that I noticed.

If you want to see some of the most posh homes in the Lehigh Valley, this is a nice trail to ride. God, some of the homes were downright obscene as I pedaled through J.B. Reilly country.

There's also an assortment of very attractive women, promenading up and down. One of them, I kid you not, was clad in a bikini as she pushed her two children along in a stroller Her back was decorated with tattoos of her two boys. Never saw that before. She told me they were real, too. (Hey, I had to find some reason to talk to her).

If you are cycling there, as I did, I'd recommend using the side streets to stay off Hellertown's very busy Main Street, which is clogged with NY and NJ transplants.

Although the temps were much cooler yesterday than they were in our most recent heat wave, I still had to ride by this:
On the way home, I jumped in for a swim.

Very refreshing.

13 comments:

Bill Coker said...

Bernie,

Learned much from your approach to women but must advise you that your swimmining hole is literally one place you can walk on water.

Bernie O'Hare said...

There was no crowd at all! Lots of Baby Ruth bars, too. Too bad I'm allergic to dairy.

Bill Coker said...

Obviously you have the Caddy Shack sydrome.

Bill Coker said...

syndrome

Bernie O'Hare said...

From what I've read elsewhere, I have several syndromes.

Anonymous said...

You are lucky the lady did not mace you. Why would you engage a woman with her children?. You are going to get yourself arrested.

Bill said...

Bernie,

If you get the chance, the Lehigh Water Gap trail system up above Jim Thorpe is my favorite. It is on the canal path and goes through some areas with stunning scenery. I get on it at Rockport and head up towards White Haven. There are some old locks that were engineering marvels at the time of their construction.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Why would you engage a woman with her children?. You are going to get yourself arrested."

You mean, why would I exchange pleasantries with someone? Isn't it time for your drug cocktail?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Bill, I've been there a few times over the years for races, but never just to enjoy it. I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

There are mile markers. They don't seem to make sense as they mark the distance the train was from Philly (so they are in the 40's?). The markers are on the left as you go from Upper Saucon to Heller town. They are also color coded to tell what municipality a person is in.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I did see those posts, but they made no sense to me on a bike. Perhaps they will make more sense on foot.

Anonymous said...

You probably scared the Hell out that women with her two small children. You should mind your own business and not be approaching young women and their children.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Go take your drug cocktail.