About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, October 12, 2007

Barron, Angle & Ferraro Shine in Debate at the Slate

Nearly fifty people braved cold and wet weather last night for what is fast becoming the Lehigh Valley's most widely informative and entertaining debate for political hopefuls. You see, no one watches TV in the slate belt. They instead spend their evenings shooting at each other, going to meetings and talking politics. So the Pen Argyl Area Concerned Citizens decided a few years ago to just invite the candidates up for a night of give and take. And the result has been a smashing success, not just for the candidates, but for the rest of us as well.

The format is terrific. Each candidate makes a brief opening statement. After that, a three member panel poses tough questions, followed by even tougher inquiries from the public. After we all have our say, candidates cross-examine each other.

Several luminaries attended the festivities, including fellow bloggers Chris Casey, WindGapper & RadRalph. And although he started his day with a 7:30 AM speech, Northampton County Exec John Stoffa was there, too, giving me dirty looks. Maybe his wife is mad at him and he was afraid to go home.

Let me give you the play by play.

County Controller candidates: Steve Barron (D) v. John Schimmel (R). - Barron Pulls an Upset.

When I first told you about last night's debate, I told you the main event would be Ron Angle, who even wore a suit. But the biggest surprise is relative newcomer Steve Barron, who did so well against twelve year controller John Schimmel. I didn't see that one coming. I don't think Steve did either. I shook hands with him before the debate, and he was very nervous. He needn't have been.

Bethlehemite Barron was in Schimmel country last night. Schimmel has lived in the slate belt for thirty-eight years, and noted this almost as soon as he started speaking. But by the time the dust had settled, Barron had won the crowd.

Although not a public accountant like Schimmel, Barron is certainly qualified. He currently manages 28-32 employees and a $100 million budget. And while attending law school, he performed audits for the state of Delaware. But what impressed most was Barron's insistence that the controller job be full-time. "You cannot manage a $340 million budget if you do it part-time." Asked how he could survive on a $39,000 salary, Barron claimed that would actually be a payraise for him. Schimmel smirked, and people noticed. At first, Schimmel claimed his office was only 0.8 miles from the courthouse, but by the end of the evening, he said he'd commit himself full-time if the county charter is changed.

Schimmel was very defensive about the embezzlement that Northampton County suffered last year, mentioning it several times, even though Barron himself did not make it an issue. Schimmel even tried blaming county council audit requests. "It tied us up quite a bit," and then started questioning Barron's auditing experience before he was permitted to question him.

One thing bothers me about Barron, and that's his close ties to many of the Democrats on council. Would he let them use him as a political tool? Amazingly, someone asked Barron about that, and he responded very convincingly. He claimed his best friend is actually a Republican, but would stop being his best friend if he stole from the county. He also made clear that he has no role to play in county policy. "This office cannot be political."

Barron's final point pretty much says it all. "Look at what experience has gotten you. It's got offices that have gone unaudited for decades."

Plainfield Township Supervisor candidates: Randy Heard (D) v. Glenn Borger (R). Heard Wins Because He's a Dentist.

These guys should flip a coin or something. Pretty much all I heard was "I agree with Randy" and "I agree with Glenn." There were no discernible differences. But Heard is a dentist and they scare the shit out of me, so I'll call him the winner. Actually, Heard has a keen interest in local government and has been attending meetings for years. They were both likable and both would benefit Plainfield Township.

County Council at large candidates: Peg Ferraro (R) v. Tony Branco (D). Ferraro Wins.

Peg has thirty years of government service, and twelve of them have been on Northampton County Council. She's won some races and has lost a few, too. That prompted a question about why she would want to do it again, especially since she'll have to run again in two years.

"It's a genetic defect," she answered. After we stopped laughing, she explained that she grew up with it and enjoys it.

Her biggest concern is our out of control prison population. And last night, she embraced Stoffa's proposal that we start adopting programs for inmates that combat recidivism. She also spoke favorably about the very controversial bicounty health bureau, giving it some cautious support.

That's not the Peg I know. In years past, she has always been reluctant to take positions until absolutely necessary. But she's become very relaxed and really opened up last night. I liked what I saw.

Like Peg, Tony Branco is very personable and charming. And he sounded more like a councilman last night than he has on council. But Tony is also one of the council members who strangely rejected a routine Stoffa request to rebid a county contract. He was concerned that doing so would penalize a bidder who did everything right. But he forgets his allegiance is to taxpayers, not county vendors. Stoffa ultimately ignored council and rebid the contract, saving taxpayers $1.8 million over the amount that was originally bid by that same vendor. Branco had no explanation for his actions last night, or for his refusal to listen to the advice given by council's own lawyer.

County Council District 4 candidates: Ron Angle (R) v. John Maher (D)

Let me tell you the difference between these two guys. Ron Angle started things off by noting, "I see a few ringers in the crowd." And there were, too! He stood up, brash as ever, and flatly told the crowd, "This race isn't about me. It isn't about the guy next to me. It's about good government. We have an exec who believes in good government, so I'll support him. It doesn't matter if he's in my party." By contrast, Maher read from a script in which he at one point called Angle an "antagonistic life long politician." At this, Angle smiled and shrugged.

After slamming Angle, Maher proceeded to claim that he's from the "corporate culture" and is one of those "consensus builders" who believes that the majority should decide and that government must be conducted openly.

I asked Maher to reconcile that claim with his participation in the local party machine. Twenty Democratic committeemen, mostly from Bethlehem, chose him as the slate belt endorsed candidate in some dark Nazareth bar. All he could say was that he went to the party. At another point, he claimed he's "come up through the ranks of the party system." He even said the party should "close ranks." He's clearly a machine pol.

Maher, relying on his experience in the "corporate culture," even tried to defend council's goofy decision to try and award a bid to a high bidder. I believe Maher should continue his experience in the corporate world and leave governing to officials who will look out for the taxpayers.

Angle, by contrast, claimed it is time for the county to get back to the basics - courts and prisons, row offices and human services. He pointed out that, when he was first elected to county council eight years ago, Northampton County was a corrupt government. Two people ended up in jail. He admitted he can be divisive, but also pointed out, "I know the difference between right and wrong. Four people want to go back to the wrong, and he [Maher] wants to join them."

(Photos courtesy of Wind Gapper)
Update: The Morning Call has a well-written report of last night's debate.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posted at 3:12 a.m. - bless you Bernie!

I too was impressed with Barron and I knew virtually nothing about him before last night.

Randy Heard and Glenn Borger both sound like they will be assets to the township regardless of who is elected.

When John Maher finished up by talking about a responsibility to the vendors and about his corporate culture routine, the people in the peanut gallery with me were very angry. It IS about the taxpayers last time I checked! I like John personally and cannot tell you how disappointed I am in the way he is coming across right now. Mr. Angle certainly presented himself as dignified as he looked without losing his "edge," so to speak.

My only regret was not questioning Mr. Branco about his attendance record while on council, which I understand is abysmal as it pertains to committee meetings. He works down in Berks, and I wonder if his long commute affects his attendance?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Windgapper, Hey, Thanks for sending me the photos. Your pictures were much better than mine.

Branco's attendance record last year was in the basement.This year, he actually has a citizen named Bob Pfenning conduct meetings for him on some gambling group so he does not have to attend. I'm not sure exactly where Tony is working these days.

Anonymous said...

Angle was abrasive as he always is and finding fault with everything but never the solution. He has been taking advantage of the people in the Slate Belt through his shady real estate transactions for years. Maybe they'll wake up this time and vote him out. He will benefit from the Marshfield Project as he owns property adjacent to or near there. His property values will increase and he will have pulled the wool over the Slate Belt again. This man does not deserve to be in elected or appointed office anywhere. DUMP ANGLE.

BethlehemDem said...

Bernie, thanks for the recap.

Barron will make an excellent controller. I spoke with him a few months ago and he came off as very intelligent and understanding of the needs of the county and the controller office.

Also, Branco is the Borough Manager in Topton, PA (Berks County)
http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=60982

Bernie O'Hare said...

BethDem, Thanks. I knew he had another job but could not remember where.

I like Schimmel. There are few people more personable than him. But he did not debate well. Steve Barron came off very well and won the room last night.

Chris Casey said...

Schimmel seemed like a nice enough guy, but a claim he made about a recent audit disovering they had been paying health care premiums for dead people for more than a decade caught my attention. He's been in office 12 years, and he thinks he audits effectively?
That happened on his watch, and is nothing to be proud of. Barron would bring a new approach and attitude. He was nervous at first, but as he loosened up, he scored many points. I think he could win, if he effectively gets his message out.

Anonymous said...

Good report, Bernie! Keep it up.

Blah Society said...

I need to get to one of these things. They seem interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thursday, September 06, 2007
Norco Elections Office Report Card To Be Released on Monday
Bernie O'Hare said...
Anon 10:43,
He didn't just threaten me once, he did it two or three times. And when I publicly disclosed his threat, his answer was, "That's a lie. I've got witnesses." You must be the person to whom he referred. Incidentally, I did not "scream" into the mike. I've been addressing public bodies over many years, and have never once screamed. I try to speak with respect. of course, I was repeatedly interrupted by Long when I addressed the task force. Do you remember that?" That's complete buillshit - a fabrication. The right to speak includes an obligation to listen, and I listen to everyone who cares to speak at a public meeting. I have attended public meetings for many years, and am never disruptive. Most people would not even know I'm there. Your story is a lie."
As usual, I see Bernie lies again, as he was asked to be quiet at the Debate at the Slate more than once. Bernie you're nothing more than a blabbering, frustrated (why don't I have any friends, except Angle) person who should ride off into the sunset on your tricycle, and leave and take all your negativism on everything with you.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Mr. Maniatty,

1) As I indicated on 9/6/07, I never disrupt public meetings, listen attentively and most people would not know I'm there.

2) At last night's gathering, I did ask a question during the Ferraro debate and a second quesrion during the Angle debate. That in itself is a rarity. I asked my questions as permitted under the format. I was recognized by the moderator, and spoke respectfully to each person.

3) When I questioned Branco's insistence on protecting county vendors, I asked him whether he shouldn't be more interested in protecting county taxpayers. When I asked that question, people began to applaud. I did not ask them to clap, and the moderator asked that it stop.

4) That is the only time that a moderator said anything, and his comment was directed at the audience, not me.

5) I have asked one of last night's moderators to address your accusation, and he will do so later. I sat quietly through most of last evening, and you should know this better than anyone because you popped your unwashed body next to me.

5) The reason for your desire to bury me is that, unlike you, I am not a machine Democrat. You have been trolling through the blogosphere to defend Joe Long, Sam Bennett, Charles Dertinger, etc. etc. Are you getting paid to do this or are you just nuts? Whatever your motive, I know who you are and have for some time. And before long, people are going to associate your antics with the people whose campaigns you are working. Do you want Steve Barron tarnished because of your sleazy bullshit? I'm sure he doesn't.

I suggest you get a life.

Anonymous said...

I'm not nuts, but at least I don't wash mine in the County Government Center.

Anonymous said...

I thought Bernie was well behaved while I was there, but I left before the Branco Ferraro show. Now that I have your IP Maniatty, I'm going to have some fun!

Bernie O'Hare said...

His name is George Speros Maniatty, and he is one of those anonymous trolls who tries to ruin meaningful discussion with childish taunts.

He's as nasty as Severson, but not so smart.

Busted!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I've asked around about George Speros Maniatty. He is an Allentown groupie who attaches himself to Democratic campaigns. When he volunteered for Dertinger's congressional campaign, he had to be pulled off phone duty bc he was screaming at people. I understand he volunteered for Pawlowski and was eventually exiled. But no one really wants to be associated with this guy, and I can't blame them. One of the candidatesd has asked me to delete his remarks because they denigrate the process. But I've decided to let them be. Democracy is sloppy.

I would just ask the readers not to associate Maniatty's vulgar behavior with any of the candidates last night. They came and acted in good faith and should not be tarnished by his dishonest and vulgar remarks.

Anonymous said...

Bernie said "One of the candidates has asked me to delete his remarks because they denigrate the process. But I've decided to let them be. Democracy is sloppy."

Could that be Angle the altar boy that he's trying to be?

Bernie said "I would just ask the readers not to associate Maniatty's vulgar behavior with any of the candidates last night. They came and acted in good faith and should not be tarnished by his dishonest and vulgar remarks."
"Do you want Steve Barron tarnished because of your sleazy bullshit?"
Oh Bernie, and you didn't say this either. Talk about sleazebags. You were out of control at the Pen Argyl event and now you rant even more, saying that you are acting in good faith (sic) and have not made any dishonest (lies) remarks. Hello to the new king of sleaze, Bernard Sleazebag O'Hair, Nazareth's answer to Larry Flynt.

Anonymous said...

I thought Angle is the bad guy here?

Get rid of Angle and leave Bernie alone this is a forum , your opinion and his carry the same weight.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Mr. Maniatty, if only because he hides behind a veil of anonymity to launch personal attacks, has no credibility.

This is by no means his first offense. He does it often. I've decided to out him. When he acts in this dishonest fashion, he diminishes not just himself, but the people he allegedly supports.

Mr. Maniatty is an Allentown Democratic committeeman and rabid Bennett supporter. He posted an entire MCall op-ed supporting her. Of course, he did it anonymously. He is also friendly with another A-town Democratic committeeman named Michael Fegley, who manages the Allentown Brew Works.

He's a groupie and candidates try to keep him at a distance because his sleazy antics can get them in trouble. The word one former Democratic candidate has used to describe him is "goof".

According to his myspace profile, he's single and looking.

I'm not available.

Blah Society said...

As soon as you said he's a Bennett supporter, well... that's all you needed to say, lol.

By the way, how are things with the blow-up I hear so much about?

Anonymous said...

Bernie has a blow up doll, too?

Anonymous said...

I don't know which debate Mr. Maniatty attended, but it certainly was not the one in Pen Argyl if he thinks Bernie was in any way disruptive.

Paul, PAACC president and head moderator, did a quite incredible job of facilitating the entire event and he certainly would have had no qualms about telling Bernie to stifle it if he got out of line. However, aside from the aforementioned clapping (which was in response to Bernie's question), there were no warnings about decorum whatsoever.

Mr. Maniatty, we are attempting to have a productive discussion about the debate and you are the one who is disrupting the process. I applaud Bernie for not deleting your falsehoods, he shows far more restraint than I.

Anonymous said...

The Controller is set to be the fall guy for the embezzeler. Unfortunately we don't get to vote out those truly responsible the clerk of courts and court services director. They got out with nice pensions. Ain't home rule great?

"This isn't about me." Yeah right.

Anonymous said...

more anon personal chicken shit attacks providing no substance to the discussion at hand! go figure. larry@kisslinger.com

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 10:21,

Barron, to his credit, did not make that embezzler an issue. He himself stated that in any large group of employees, there will always be a small percentage who steal. So I would not blame the Controller or the former Director of Court Services. As it happens, the former clerk of the criminal (who was the embezzler's boss) failed to implement some recommendastions from the Controller that would have made that embezzlement unlikely.

Voters probably will hold the Controller responsible, but I agree it was not really his fault.

Barron won the debate by pledging to commit himself full-time. That resonated. Schimmel tried to sdownplay the importance of that pledge and to note his experience, but he was far too defensive. And after 12 years, a fresh set of eyes on the books might keep the controller's office from becoming too cozy with the folks being audited.

Anonymous said...

If Schimmel is defeated it will be some Karma. As the loyal lapdog of a County Council out to destroy Reibman, he and his hackneyed staff did some of the silliest Audits in the 'County's history. The important big issues where ignored while Schimmel played politics. Now he will probably go down because of it. Lifes a bitch and then you die.

radralph said...

I take exception to mr.maniattys post saying bernie was ouy of line at our PAACC debate. As an executive board member and one of the moderators, we strive to keep our debates as fair as possible to everyone involved from the candidates to the people attending. That is why we give the rules out throughout the night. I hope this clears up this matter and i thank everyone for coming

Anonymous said...

Hey radralph, aren't you Ralph Stampone, a shill for Ron Angle and O'Hair? How can you present a fair overview of what occurred? When you say "That is why we give the rules out throughout the night.", does that mean the rules change with each candidate throughout the night?

Bernie O'Hare said...

RadRalph is, in fact Ralph Stampone. He is a member of the NC elections commission and his proficiency at mechanics is the only reason my jeep is still on the road. He does not hide behind a blanket of anonymity.

Between someone who identifies himself and an anonymous troll, I think the troll loses out in the credibility game.

You've lost this battle, Maniatty. Get over yourself. All you have succeeded in doing is embarrassing local Democrats.

Anonymous said...

Found this:

Interesting Comments

Anonymous said...

Why would someone managing a $100 million budget only be paid less then $39,000 a year? Check you facts!

Anonymous said...

Oolhyy Thanks to author.