About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Christmas Story in Coplay

As most of you know, I am a miserable bastard. I'm as mean as cat shit, a bottom-feeder who is always complaining about something. It's what I do. And today, I want to tell you all about the antics at a Buzz N Beyond. It's a small barbershop located at 601 Chestnut Street in Coplay, not far from the amazing Thai Diner.

Proprietor Sue Santiago has been cutting hair for 29 years. In her words, "I have met so many wonderful people, formed many friendships, shared joys of graduations, weddings, babies, grandkids etc. But sometimes, I hear the not so happy stories."

One of her customers, an elderly man named John, told Sue earlier this that his dream was to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, but he was unable to afford the trip. So every time he came in for a trim, she'd set aside the money he paid her. When he came in for a haircut yesterday, she gave him all the money she had set aside for him along with a "Dear John" letter. But it was the nice kind.


Don't worry. I'll return to my usual miserable self by tomorrow. .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story for the holiday season.

Anonymous said...

popcorn!!!

E Mest said...

What a wonderful story! I hope this elderly gentleman has someone to take him there. It's a fairly long drive. Happy Holidays to everyone, even you Bernie!!!

Anonymous said...

Bernie,
You are a miserable bastard, but you are our miserable bastard.
You do a lot of good for people, that people never know about.
People are one way on the outside, but totally different on the inside.
You typify the old adage "you can't judge a book from its' cover"
Keep up the great work my friend.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"What a wonderful story! I hope this elderly gentleman has someone to take him there. It's a fairly long drive. Happy Holidays to everyone, even you Bernie!!!"

You, too, Elaine.

Anonymous said...

Old baseball fans want to hear that there is baseball in heaven, they just don't want to hear they're pitching on Thursday.