About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 06, 2007

LC Dem Chair Daugherty: Why I Support Sam Bennett for Congress

Over the weekend, Lehigh County Democratic Chair Rick Daugherty told me why he supports Sam Bennett for Congress. His reasoning? She's the only one nuts enough to take on Dent.

Whatever his personal views, Daugherty also makes clear that Lehigh County Dems do not endorse candidates in primaries. They rage against the machine. Don't tell Boss Long in Northampton County, where the selection of Democratic nominees is too important to be left to the people.

Rick was nice enough to allow me to share his email.

Sam Bennett will campaign hard, articulate issues well, work at raising funds, and not be shy about defining her differences with Charlie Dent. She asked me to be a co-chair of her campaign because it would help her in what is a very difficult task that few are willing to tackle. I need a tough, credible, hard-working candidate for Congress. There is not anyone who does not think Sam Bennett will espouse key Democratic values and vote with the majority of Democrats in the House. All Members of Congress look to provide excellent constituent service and to fund worthwhile projects in their district. So that is not a great reason to vote for an incumbent. Voting on key legislation is what distinguishes Members of Congress and is why I believe Charlie Dent needs to be replaced. Charlie is a very nice person who works hard, has a good staff, is responsible, but votes against the interests of average working people too often.

That being said, the Lehigh County Democratic Committee does not endorse candidates in primaries. A contested primary can be a good thing. According to the Democratic chairman in Bucks County, having a primary opponent helped Congressman Patrick Murphy eventually win his seat. When I ran for chairman of Lehigh County, I welcomed opponents, including Sam, because I felt it would strengthen the party and it did. I ran because I wanted to improve the party, and I felt a contested election for chair would also improve the party, whether or not I was successful. I will seriously consider any other Democrat who looks to run for the 15th Congressional District.

Competition is a good thing. Charlie Dent needs to have a strong Democratic opponent in 2008 because that is how our system of government was designed to work best. Right now, Sam Bennett is the only person that I know of who is willing to take him on. In evaluating Sam I would ask that everyone first focus on her positions on the issues. Democracy works best when we focus on what is most important.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The self absorbed jerking off the self deceived.

Anonymous said...

I know Rick and he is a sincere guy who believes strongly in the ideals of the party. As chairman of his party in Lehigh County he is trying to come up with a consensus candidate and beat Charlie Dent. Any party Chairman that backs off in an election should resign, regardless of party. As a point of fact I am just standing up for Rick, not Sam Bennet. I am a democrat that willnot support Bennet. I think she is a poor candidate. But I am not a party chair. As for republican opposition to Bennet, I don't care. If as a Democrat you are appalled by all this, RUN or get someone you know to run. You/they need a thousand signitures, if any decent known or ubknown Dem comes forward, I know Dems who would help collect signatures regardless of what Party leaders want.

Anonymous said...

I would think that because Ms Bennett is the only candidate running the local Democratic Party must get on the band wagon early to support the only person in the field

Bernie O'Hare said...

Real World, This is where I would disagree w/ Daugherty. I won't support a lousy candidate simply bc she is a D. Someone like Bennett will have a ripple effect that hurts other Dems seeking state office.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 1:43,

The self absorbed jerking off the self deceived.

Dude, if you're who I think you are, you've been banned from posting by your boss. I am purposely not going to check my sitemeter.

Anonymous said...

Charlie Dent's new campaign slogan: "Vote Charlie - Better Lucky Than Good".

It's interesting to see the contrast between county party organizations. LC Dems seems almost as pathetic as NC Reps. What a difference a zip code or two makes.

Greendogdem said...

Bernie he has to support her reguardless of how bad she is because she's the candidate

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Enough with Bennett. Fleck consulting is helping her through her campaign. Now whats up with other local candidates. Sounds like you like Panto for Easton? Who is he running against? What about County exec. I heard you were thinking Grucela. Is that true. Grucela would give your buddy a good run for his money.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 10:05,

I don't know. A post about the next congressional race always results in lots of very interesting comments, but there is life after Bennett. Early predictions, eh?

Sal Panto will win Easton easily. His opponent, Gary Breitsch, is a very nice fellow, but there's no comparison between the two.

Ron Angle, Ann McHale and Mike Dowd will win easily in their districts. Tony Branco will lose to Peg Ferarro. If Schwartz manages to mount a campaign and spends some money, he'll kill McClure. If he doesn't we'll be stuck w/ Lamont. I believe the council will remain Democratic with a 5 to 4 edge.

The exec race is a little in the distance. Last I spoke w/ Rich, he will not oppose Stoffa. I believe him, but would never hold him to that. If he decided to run, I believe he'd win. I would still support Stoffa, the anti-politician, because we will never see his kind again.

Anonymous said...

anaon 10:05 pm,

Fleck Consulting is helping Bennett to run for Congress?

Oh, still my beating heart!

This as much as guarantees that not only will Bennett lose but she will also have empty campaign coffers because Mike Fleck will make sure that he steals ALL of the money she is able to raise.

I guess that is one way to make sure that Bennett doesn't stay in the race long enough to raise the $100k or so she needs to pay the loans she made to her last two failed attempts at elected office, when she lost two Democratic primaries in Allentown, her supposed base for her Congressional run.

Her campaign is shaping up to be a Three Stooges show.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I'm pretty sure the Fleck remark was humor.

Jerry Kott said...

What is so amazing about this whole fiasco, it the Emperor is Still not wearing any clothes. Many fine it a bit condescending and arrogant that the Fearless leaders have spoken and the rest of us Mortals should go along to get along. This ruse won't play and you won't get my vote along with many other's whose mouths are still hanging open by this poor choice. Many see the two Parties as being the same ship of fools meandering in the night with no direction, or sense of it, no map and the only thing they follow is the smell of Money. Things have changed here and will be changing as people wake up and realize that the "Will of the People" and "We the people" is real to those Serfs who labor outside the Castle walls who keep this trouble Culture Civilized.
It would be appropriate and more timely to start an organization call "Bridges of Merit" where someone could travel state wide handing out Jacks, crazy glue and prayers.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Jake,

It would be appropriate and more timely to start an organization call "Bridges of Merit" where someone could travel state wide handing out Jacks, crazy glue and prayers.

Look for this tomorrow!!!