About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Dr. Paige Van Wirt Seeks Evans' Bethlehem City Council Seat

Lori Vargo Heffner (L) and Dr. Paige Van Wirt
at women's march in Bethlehem
Dr. Paige Van Wirt, who waged an unsuccessful write-in campaign for Bethlehem City Council in November, is seeking the vacancy created when Eric Evans resigns February 5 to become the City's Business Administrator. I have heard she may have the votes to be appointed, too. Some may feel that you should only appoint a person who has no intention of running for the seat because it otherwise gives that appointee an unfair advantage in an upcoming election. It does. But appointing a person who has no intention of ever actually running for the job can result in an appointee who ignores the people's will and is unresponsive.

Dr. Van Wirt is the most impressive person I've seen in local politics for some time. In addition to her education in planning and experience in an urban community, she has immersed herself in numerous local issues, even county issues. In fact, after the county council debate was over, she had some insight as a practicing physician on how the counties can handle the opioid crisis.

Bethlehem will be lucky to get her. I believe she would work well with Council members like Willie Reynolds, and they would work well with her.

Here's what Dr. Van Wirt said from her Facebook page:

Dear Friends,

As you may have read, Eric Evans will be resigning from city council to join the administration as of Feb. 5th. The vacant seat will be filled by appointment by city council. I am applying for the vacancy. I feel I am the best choice due to my expertise, recent candidacy and tremendous support (1700 votes) as a write-in candidate. I will be submitting my resume as well as letter of intent and answers to Council’s 10 questions for consideration. I am meeting with council members individually to discuss my candidacy. Nevertheless, it will also be vital for you to advocate for my appointment.

Although there are rumors that various individuals are under consideration, it is in Council's interest to appoint me. I have expertise and skills relevant to the position - urban planning, municipal finance, and physician/entrepreneur/small business owner. I would also be another woman on council and an independent voice outside of the usual political establishment. Appointing me would demonstrate to the community that council recognizes the strong preference the voters have already expressed for an ‘outside’ candidate. The most important criterion should be who would be the most qualified person to lead Bethlehem through service on the council; I feel that I am that person.

Selection of the candidate will take place at a public meeting on March 1, with March 5th as a back-up date. This will be a special meeting of the full council with a public vote by the 6 remaining council members. The selected applicant will be announced that night. We will also be given 5 minutes to speak, and if I understand correctly, the public is welcome to speak as well about their wishes for this spot. It will be important for as many people as possible to attend that meeting and advocate for your choice. In advance of that, you can email city council (email the clerk at cityclerk@bethlehem-pa.gov and ask that your email be distributed to council members) and write letters to the editor of the newspapers. Please alert your friends/networks to this situation and ask for their help as well. Deadline for applicants is Feb 9th, and letters of support would be valuable if received in the next 6 weeks.

Many of you worked hard during my write-in campaign to try and get me elected to city council; this presents an exciting opportunity to place me there now rather than after I run again in 2019. I thank you for your time, your energy and your ongoing support. I am ready to work hard for the citizens of Bethlehem.

Sincerely,

Paige Van Wirt
Paige Elizabeth Van Wirt

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

She really puts herself out there as entitled to this. We have enough self-proclaimed royalty in Bethlehem, Her self laudatory missives are getting old.

Anonymous said...

They never gave it to Dave Sanders, he finished several times 2nd and when appointment came up they didn’t give it to him, why does this carpetbagger deserve the spot? She ran on a platform that bethlehem is corrupt and that development of any kind needs to be stopped so why is she the one who should get this?

Anonymous said...


@3:52
She is a candidate for the position to be determined by the sitting Council. It's basically a job interview. Of course you laud your assets and belief you are the best person for the job.

Anonymous said...

Another Doctor telling me what is best. I'll pass. She ought to stay in the office and examination rooms focusing on her patients. I need my doctor focused on treating people and not distracted.

Anonymous said...

I know nurses who have to work with her and not one can stand her. She talks down to them and treats them like she is better than them.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Van Wirt is smart, empathetic, hard-working, and capable. Bethlehem stands only to benefit from her appointment.

Anonymous said...

Amen 7:40, she has a real sense of being better than others. She know what's best for you. Others have made the same remarks. Other than here where Bernie is in love, that appears to be the reality.

Bernie O'Hare said...

You are probably the person who made the earlier remark and are repeating yourself. My guess is you are jealous. Don't be. I'm sure there's something you're good at, but it's not commenting on blogs.

Barbara Diamond said...

I believe Dr. Wirt would be an excellent addition to the city council. I hope they will put aside their annoyance at her for running a write-in campaign and consider what she will bring to the council. Since her name was not on the ballot, the huge number of people who went to the trouble to write in her name are people who had an opportunity to meet her when she was canvassing or at various events. They liked her, liked what she had to say and expressed their desire for her to be on the council.

Anonymous said...

City Council will not be intimidated by Bernie O'Hare. They will ask this person the same questions of any applicant. She is no more entitled to anything than anyone else.

Word is the council prefers someone who I snot planning to run for a full term. Most seem to agree. Before we crown this lady the empress of Bethlehem let the process play out. There are numerous qualified people who could fill this position.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Um, there is nothing about this post that intimidates anyone. I wrote the story bc I have been hearing she already has the votes, so your intimidation claim sounds pretty bizarre. It's more like a personal jab at me.

Anonymous said...

She has one vote from Olga

Bernie O'Hare said...

Not what I hear, but I could be mistaken.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 7:40 a.m....You know nurses who have to work with her and can't stand her?
That's like me saying I know parents who think Reynolds, Martell, and Evans are terrible teachers, and that means they shouldn't be on city council. It is hilarious that people thing Dr. Wirt is condescending. Have you been to a city council meeting? If she is condescending, she's going to fit right in with the guys running the show. Of course I realize woman are supposed to lead with humility and compassion, while the men can act like petty tyrants without consequence. People should be judged on their qualifications and what we can verify about their experience and leadership capacity. Hearsay is unhelpful. The woman runs a very successful business. She has experience in government and finance. This bodes well for leadership, and none of the existing council members have more than one of these qualifications. She clearly more qualified and we know at least 1700 people think she'd make a great councilwoman. All you've got is rumors to spread.

Anonymous said...

Talk about a sense of entitlement! What has she lived in Bethlehem for? 2 years? Now she is the only person qualified for the job? Give me a break.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

1:16 Dave Sanders was not only a great guy but a great human being. Shame on you for being disrespectful to a man who was loved by many in Bethlehem. If you didn't like his deli, thats one thing, but to try to talk bad about him to support Dr. Van Wirt is just wrong. Shame on you!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I suspect someone is trashing him as a way of firing up people against Dr. Van Wirt. Very dirty.