About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, February 25, 2022

What Bike Is Best For an Old Fart?


Earlier this week, I chronicled my first bicycle ride in 2022. I was actually out twice this week, but am sticking to the bike paths. When it gets warmer and lighter, I'll pretty much be riding (instead of driving) everywhere I can. Given the predicted rise in gas prices, I might have lots of company.

One of my readers asks, "I'm your age and want to start riding this spring. What type of bike do you recommend since I am new to riding?"

I have several readers who are avid cyclists and far more qualified than I am to answer this question. But since being unqualified has never stopped me from holding forth on every topic under the sun, I'll attempt an answer.

E-Bikes are great. I see them on bike paths all the time, and most riders are elderly. You can fly by at 12-15 mph, and with pedal assist, get some exercise at the same time. The drawback is that they are very heavy, even with all the latest technology. You need a more specialized bike rack if you want to take one to a trail. They are also expensive. If I could afford it, I'd add one to my fleet. 

As I've aged, I am far less nimble than I was even 10 years ago. So getting on and off my bikes is always a struggle. It's not easy to swing a leg over the bar. I'd recommend a low-step frame like the Verve 2 low-step hybrid by Trek.  You can take that on the road or trail. 

The most important recommendation is that you wear a helmet. Many years ago, I shunned helmets. That disdain stopped after I went into a slide while racing kids and bashed my head into a wooden fence. I woke up in an ambulance. Since then, a helmet has protected me from serious injuries during inevitable falls. 

In addition to the helmet, get a spare tube you can slip under your saddle and a pump you can attach to the side.

Finally, I'd recommend that you take a cycling safety course occasionally offered by CAT. I did that years ago when Steve Schmitt was running the show. That dude would wear earphones while cycling so he could ignore irate drivers. I prefer to know they're there. 

Work into it gradually. It might not seem like much effort, but you burn a lit of calories riding. 

Thanks for asking. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. I'm the one who asked you for help. I will take your opinion on this bike and the safety matter. We have to stick together. We graduated together class of 69...Go Hawks.