About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 17, 2026

Jim Martin Made a Difference in Lehigh County

div>Crimefighters are often called bulldogs. I would not use that term to describe former Lehigh County DA Jim Martin, that county's top prosecutor for 26 years. He was not the flashy matador, but the raging bull. I've seen him angry at Lehigh County Comm'r meetings during budget hearings, with steam billowing from his nose and ears as he looked ready to ram headfirst into the dais that protects Commissioners from the running of the bulls. His life, like all our lives, has ended the same way that every life does. He unfortunately passed away on Saturday. But the way he lived his life sets him apart. He left the world, and Lehigh County, a little bit better than it was before he got here. 

Despite his legal acumen and prowess in the courtroom, Martin did not try cases himself. He differed from his contemporary, John Morganelli, that way. He instead adopted a proactive approach that would prevent crime before it happened.

His greatest achievement by far was the establishment of the Regional Intelligence and Investigation Center, which creates databases of local and state police reports as well as data collected at jails to enable investigators to solve murders in days instead of years, if at all. When NorCo was too cheap to pay the pittance to participate, he still allowed police departments in NorCo to use the resources.

Martin also started a Child Advocacy Center, Homicide Task Force, Elder Abuse Task Force and the David M. Petzold Digital Forensic Laboratory and the Regional Intelligence and Investigation Center. He also helped create the Veteran’s Mentoring Program, the Central Booking Facility and the county’s first Drug Treatment Court.

He was a contemporary of my father, and I'd say it's a fair bet that they did some bullfighting together, back in the day. I know my Dad thought very highly of him, as did I. 

I'll share a story that the late Bill Malkames, a famous zoning lawyer, once told me about Martin. Many years ago, Bill was once representing someone in Allentown who needed zoning approval for some kind of development. Sometimes a zoning appeal can be very controversial, especially when NIMBYs are out there. It doesn't matter that you're right. Well, Bill won his case, as he should have, but the NIMBYs did not like it and began to accost Bill in the lobby outside of the meeting room. Bill was a big guy and in tremendous physical condition at that time in his life, but was no fighter, even though he was originally from Hazelton. Things were getting ugly when suddenly, out of nowhere, the massive frame of none other than Jim Martin interjected himself between Malkames and the mob. 

As steam blew out his ears, Martin thundered, "I just want you to know the police are on their way, and any of you who lays a hand on me will be assaulting an assistant District Attorney." 

The mob melted. 

I'm sure that Malkames and Martin went out for a few Sangrias after that experience/ 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Hazleton

Anonymous said...

You were right to point out the distinction between he and Morganelli. Martin was forward thinking and asked what everyone needed to do their jobs and prevent crime. Morganelli the opposite. Funny how Baratta made campaign promises to enact some of those very same services, like an advocacy center, but instead, picked fights and ended other things that Martin created (like a valley wide auto theft task force). Martin was a hell of a man. Really made Northampton men look small in more than one way.

Anonymous said...

I liked Jim Martin, and I liked Bill Malkames. Rest in peace to both of them.

That said, the story about the zoning meeting sounds more like a fisherman telling a story where the fish he caught gets bigger every time the story is told.

I do take issue with people who show up at zoning meetings being characterized as "NIMBYs". These are people who attend on their own time without being paid, because they are concerned about their neighborhoods and want to protect what is likely the largest investment many of them will ever make (their homes). It is where many of their children will grow up, and nothing is more personal than that.

Unlike the attorneys who are paid to attend, the residents are doing so after their workday is done and at the expense of time with their families. Unlike the developers looking to stretch the zoning codes to the maximum (and sometimes beyond) the permitted use, they know their neighborhoods far better than any developer, attorney, zoning board member, or city bureaucrat ever will. The residents will be there to feel the effects of whatever happens when those others go back to their homes, often very far away from the neighborhoods that are impacted. The residents deserve respect for showing up and having the courage to voice their opinions, not cheap shots or name-calling.

Finally, I will note that while I've heard attorneys opposing resident concerns often refer to their opponents as NIMBYs, I have yet to come across a zoning attorney representing an adverse use in THEIR OWN neighborhood or against THEIR OWN neighbors. It's funny how it works out that way.

Anonymous said...

I met Jim Martin several times- he was an imposing figure, but always cordial. I wish we had a D.A. like him in Northampton County.

Anonymous said...

He was a great DA.

Anonymous said...

Gary Gorman writes:

As a former CPS for several years, I interacted with him with him a couple of times, but didn't really know him. However, I had constant interaction with two of his ADA's who specializes in prosecuting child abuse cases. The one ADA was the former LCOCYS Lead Agency attorney, so i knew her well. I asked her one time, after she left Childten and Youth and joined the DA's office, "What is Jim Martin like? He kind of scares me. He seems gruff, uncaring and intimidating."

Her reply, "Not at all. He's a big teddy bear, a real softy. Our staff adores him. I can go to him for anything and he gives me solid advice. He has his staff's back 110%".

Her impromptu declaration of District Attorney Martin's character and wisdom that day told me what a great man and true leader he truly was. It also reinforced the lesson in me to not judge a book by its cover and to get to know a person before making judgements.

May his family, friends and loved ones accept my condolences on the loss of a great man. .

Anonymous said...

good guy. I liked him.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I have covered numerous zoning hearings over the years and have witnesses first hand how nice people can get ugly real fast in a mob. NIMBYism is quite real and the current enemy of NIMBYs everywhere are those evil data centers. Grab the pitchforks.

Bernie O'Hare said...

John was an excellent DA in NORCO. He was a bit more cautious with new ideas but he both professionalized his department and was hands on, trying the big cases himself. He and Jim had different styles but they were both very good.

Anonymous said...

He and Bill Platt were close friends, and devoted Phillies fans. Both gone in less than a year. RIP.

Anonymous said...

I don’t have an opinion on the data centers and I’m willing to listen.

At the same time, every one of them seems to have an out of town (or out of state) developer behind it, telling everyone HERE how good it is for OUR area.

Maybe I’d be more convinced how great they are if someone local were proposing one next to THEIR home, or at least in their town (or state). Or if one of the out-of-town developers already lived next to one (wherever they live) and could tell us how much it improved quality of life and property values.

Maybe you could advocate for putting one in your dining room in Nazareth, and let us know how wonderful it is.

Bernie O'Hare said...

For someone who doesn't have an opinion, you are letting your bias show all over. Not only do you oppose them, but you hate every developer except those who want to live next to their projects. By the way, this story is about Jim Martin, not your NIMBYism. But yoiu are typical of all NIMBYs. Everything is about you and what you want.

Anonymous said...

I agree one hundred percent! Hopefully, someone professional, outside of Norco’s rank and file will run against Baratta, win and breath fresh air into that stale office!

Anonymous said...

Good man who did good for his community

-Jeff Ward

Anonymous said...

Not surprised with Baratta- he hasn't changed since high school.

Carl said...

Used to see him sitting at the counter of Sunrise Diner on some weekday mornings. He jokingly made fun of me wearing shorts in winter while delivering to them.

Anonymous said...

While I agree, once again some poor chap feels my name will gain attention and glory for his comments.

Anonymous said...

He was well respected by all. A true voice of reason and had great passion for his work. Condolences to his family for their great loss

Anonymous said...

Truly a Lehigh County legend. It’s sad there are none to speak of in Northampton County.

Bernie O'Hare said...

It's so childish to impersonate someone else.