The New York Times and Philadelphia Inquirer have published identical stories noting that what they call "social media stars" are publishing vlogs and podcasts that promote candidates for public office without bothering to tell their followers that they are being paid. Wouldn't this be disclosed in campaign finance reports that candidates are required to file periodically? Not necessarily. As the Times article observes, these payments can be funneled through middlemen.
I wonder whatever happened to ethics.
Only four states require social media influencers (which would include bloggers) to disclose paid political messaging. I am unaware whether any legislation is pending in Pennsylvania, but hopefully, someone who at least has a scintilla of an interest in preserving our democracy will take note.
Federally, one Congressman is promoting legislation that would require social media influencers to disclose payments from foreign countries. I think all paid influence should be disclosed.
I do not know how someone in good conscience could take money to promote a campaign while holding himself out as an independent voice. Failure to disclose a payment tells me the person is deceiving his followers.
We live in a day and age when trust in our media is at an all-time low. This just makes us less credible.
I can tell you I have never accepted nor have I ever been offered a dime for what I write. I know no local bloggers who have ever done this sort of thing. But it's hard to believe us when there are people out there who are selling themselves like hookers, although we all aim to please.
For you male Bloggers........if you "really aim to please", make sure you stand close enough to the urine bowl. SORRY BERNIE, I just couldn't resist the sic humor.
ReplyDeleteI agree, all payments should be disclosed for political influence, either domestic or foreign and it seems some so called independent podcast and bloggers are being paid by Israel for one. I also believe that congressional candidates should only be able to accept donations from in their districts. and all state wide candidates should only be able to take donations from within their state.
ReplyDeleteCandidates for congress and the Senate should represent the people in their districts and all other donations should be banned, it would cut the cost of running and be a step in right the direction.
It should be disclosed.
ReplyDelete"I do not know how someone in good conscience could take money to promote a campaign while holding himself out as an independent voice."
ReplyDeleteSeriously Bernie?!?! That's your argument? Faux News used the slogan "fair and balanced" for years.
Oh please. If some people here didn’t have “FOX NEWS FOX NEWS FOX NEWS” on auto loop in their brains they would be able to write nothing at all. Maybe even BO has reconsidered after being blindsided by “reporting” from The Guardian a few days ago.
DeleteBut the subject is disclosure and paying for “media.”
Do we hear a disclaimer every time NPR reports on politics even though they’ve taken millions of dollars from the Soros organization? How many people know that AP reporting on climate is funded by special interest groups specifically interested at impacting the politics around Climate Change? Fact checkers such as Politifact happen to be at the end of money trails emanating for Soros funding sources. The list can go on and on. Some prominent “mainstream journalists” are on boards of “progressive” organizations, but all assure us that there’s a “robust firewall” between such activities and objective reporting. (See NPR’s hand wringing editor below.)
Why just pick on bloggers and vloggers?
https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2011/05/24/136216017/worthy-cause-controversial-funding-source
Correct..MAGA radio used “fair and balanced” even though they were ” lying” and “ off the chain” …
Delete"Good Conscience"? You must still believe in the tooth fairy.
ReplyDeleteThese so-called influencers have found that telling people what they want to hear pays well.
ReplyDeleteThey have all the integrity of TV preachers, raking in money while secretly laughing at their audience.
The problem isn't what influencers should disclose. The problem is that anyone believes them. Our education system has jettisoned common sense and discernment for nonsense. Don't hate the players. Hate the game and the morons who readily believe what they see online.
ReplyDeleteSorry, off topic but what is the status at Gracedale? No one seems to be talking.
ReplyDelete