About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Daddy's Place

Pita bread, fresh from the oven. 
Daddy's Place is one of many fine restaurants in Easton. I love to go there because it is casual, moderately priced (cheap) and serves great Lebanese food. They even bake their own pita bread, which coming out of the oven looks like a balloon.  Last night, I introduced to place to Sharon and Ron Angle. They'll be returning, and will be bringing their friends from the Slate Belt.

Why do I like Lebanese food? Because I'm Irish. We are not exactly known for our cuisine. Pretty much all food from the British isles, I'm convinced, is based on a dare. Why do you think we drink so much? Like any good Irishman who is unable to drink, I'll eat Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese or even the occasional ant before I stick another spoon into mutton.

Daddy's Place is a mix of great Lebanese food along with more American dishes. They also have a large variety of beers. I'm told it's over 700 different kinds, but I stay away from the booze.

Sharon and Ron each had one light summer beer. Ron had lamb kabobs, Sharon had shrimp and rice. I went with falafel. Not one of us was able to finish our meal. We topped everything off with Turkish coffee, so I'll be up until next Tuesday.

Other great places for Lebanese food are Forks Mediterranean Deli (great lentil soup) and Betty's Diner, in Wilson Borough. Betty serves mainly American food, but her falafel wraps are the best in the world. Josie's is a great place for a wrap, though except for the pita, her food is all American.

If you need to speak to Easton Mayor Sal Panto, you can often catch him at Daddy's Place for breakfast, along with many police officers who just got off the night shift.

Ron Angle, many of you know, is a great storyteller. I can listen to his tales for hours. Last night, he was telling stories about his dad. A few are below.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you printing this article to remind the Blog Mentor that these kind of people are your friends. And since they are your friends, they may be his enemies. Plus, these kind of friends have long memories. They don't forget about the Blog Mentor's antics.

Bernie O'Hare said...

No, I just was writing about some great places to eat in the Easton area. I mean to write about Betty's Luncheonette and Forks Mediterranean Deli as well. These are family run businesses, with good people who work hard and deliver a great product. I would write about Josie's, which I used to visit daily, but her food is American.

If I wanted to be fair, I'd have to point out that there are numerous other family establishments with great Italian, Chinese and Mexican food.

I just was trying to present a positive piece about a great place you might want to visit.

Anonymous said...

This is another good article, Bernie. Personally, I wouldn't go with Ron Angle, but that isn't the point of it. I've patronized the Forks Mediterranean, and yes the people who run it are very nice. This article makes me want to try this place. Lamb kabobs. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Damascus in East Allentown has amazing middle eastern food

Anonymous said...

Are you spending your mezza windfall already?

Should't you wait till it's in your bank account?

Anonymous said...

Although you prefer to peak into the political window of Northampton County, this article was well written. Kudos.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Are you spending your mezza windfall already?"

Ron and Sharon treated, but you don't need a lot of money to eat there.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Damascus in East Allentown has amazing middle eastern food"

But expensive. I've been there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for ruining the reputation of a good place. With Angle and O'Hare as frequent guests, no one will patronize

Anonymous said...

It's neat looking place with GREAT FOOD.

Helene said...

Just had dinner there two weeks ago with friends. Wonderful dinner - ate outside - had a great time! I would highly recommend it.

Peter J.Cochran said...

I love this place wish they opened at 05;30 so I can eat breakfast there.

Bernie O'Hare said...

A friend of mine read this account and stopped there after Thursday night's meeting. He could not believe that, for once, I was actually right about something.

Anonymous said...

Let me put in a plug for the Anatolian Kitchen Turkish restaurant on Linden Street in Bethlehem. Family owned, husband cooks and wife waits tables, wonderful food, reasonable prices...a real pleasure.

Ben

Bernie O'Hare said...

Ben,I'll check it out.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Ben,

Just came back from there (Sat. afternoon). It is very clean and the people are very nice. It probably has more Arabic dishes than Daddy's Place. I had lentil soup, a falafel wrap and Turkish coffee.

I am used to eating lentil soup as made by the Lebanese, and this was nothing like it. Their soup usually has rice and also has a few chick peas. It is also flavored with lemon and garlic. This soup stayed away from all of that, though lemon was there on the side. I did squirt some in, but it's a little different from what I've experienced in Easton.

The falafel was delicious, almost as good as Betty's. The wrap it was served in is not what I would consider pita bread. It is the bread you see in a gyro. Also, unless you tell them, they will use white sauce (dairy) instead of tahini (nondairy) on the falafel.

The young lady who served me told me that, in their view, the thin stuff is considered flat bread. They do have that, too. My mistake.

All in all, I'd say it is on a par with Easton's Lebanese eateries.

And reasonably priced.

Good call.