About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, January 07, 2013

Should Girls Play Football?

In his last play of this this football season, my grandson Dat got blindsided by a Bethlehem Township Bulldog while rolling out to throw a pass. It was a good, clean hit, but he was laid out. When a trainer asked how many fingers he was holding out, Dat answered, "Tuesday." It's a violent game. Is it too rough for girls?

That's what Bucks County's Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) thinks. They've banned an 11 year-old girl from play next year. Her Dad calls the rule "archaic and discriminatory."

I wonder what her Mom thinks.

I've seen girls play youth football. I've even seen a few on the high school level, mostly place-kickers, although one young lady played quarterback at a Florida high school last year.

I see no reason why a girl should be excluded, so long as she can make the team like everyone else.



12 comments:

Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein said...

It is time for your drug cocktail.

Anonymous said...

but what do they with their jock?

Anonymous said...

At 11, I was contemplating my first "feel" of a girl. A football dogpile would've provided an excellent opportunity. Being equal doesn't mean being the same. Girls in football is ridiculous.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Juan, I deleted the first comment, which attacked the employees of West Easton. You are correct. Tricia Mezzacappa has attacked them as well. I am unaware of anyone who shares her disdain.

Anonymous said...

boys and mens sports should be boys and mens sports. Girls and womens sports should be girls and womens sports. They should not be intertwined. If the school does not segregate sports according to sex and only has one sport i.e. football, then the girls should be allowed to try out for the team. If they make it, I will cheer for them just like the others on the team.

Bernie O'Hare said...

That's pretty much how I feel, 9:41.

Dan Marino's super bowl ring. said...

they already do, look at Nnamdi Asomugha in Philadelphia.

Anonymous said...

Our president throws like a girl and wears mom jeans. They let him throw out first pitches in boys' games. Or was it just that once?

Chuck Bednarik's nads said...

Why not? They already let Tony Romo join the NFL.

Anonymous said...

I think that girls football is just plain wrong.

Men's synchronized swimming, that's another thing. That stuff is funny, but awesome.

Anonymous said...

Just as long as its not "touch" football.

Anonymous said...

Those Chuck Bednarik and Tony Romo jokes are funny.

Go Irish!!!