About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, September 10, 2012

Rain Ends Car Free Days at 15

Some of you have asked whether I'm still car free. After fifteen days, my car free days came to an end last week during Tuesday's rainstorm. I spent the next three days on a bike, but broke down again on Saturday because I was uncertain whether I'd beat the rain home after a football game in Bethlehem.

Yesterday, the crisp weather was great for cycling. While many in the Lehigh Valley fretted during a nailbiter between the Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns, there was still a large contingent of cyclists riding Sand Island on Sunday afternoon.

You can ride from Allentown to Easton along that trial and never have to worry about traffic or hills, but I'll take the road. Trails are full of blind spots, which can lead to collisions. And yesterday, I nearly did a header after going into a slide in what I thought was a small mud puddle. I nearly ended up in the canal.

Still, you can't beat views like the one below.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with that Bernie, is that the tail is littered with thugs. They lay in wait and will rob you if you look like easy prey.

I know many people that would love to ride that path but won't becasue of the criminals who hang out there.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Never heard that one before.

Anonymous said...

I call BS, never heard of a single incident of robbery or assault on that trail. A few years ago some nutbag was going after women on the palmer trail but not the canal trail.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for your car-free lifestyle.

More people should try it.

What are the benefits you have seen from it?

Bernie O'Hare said...

None. I just enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Love that old trolley route.