About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Easton Y's Hot Firecracker 4-Miler

These guys were busy
Around 300 runners and walkers braved the soaring temperatures to participate in the Easton Family's YMCA Firecracker 4-miler on July 4. Nobody died, although many of us thought we had. Despite an 8:30 AM start and a very flat course, the heat made the race a challenge. One participant did keel over, although that might be the old lady I pushed.

Who won?

I can give you some bullshit about everyone being a winner, but I won. I think I ran the race in about three minutes. Backwards.

Actually, I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack after hiding in the bushes while everyone else ran.

Bethlehem City Council member J. Willie Reynolds finished in a blistering 26 minutes, good enough to place second in his age group (12 and under). He was unable to stay for the awards ceremony, so I took his trophy and am selling it on e-Bay.

High bidder so far is Tony Simao.

Northampton County Recorder of Deeds Ann Achatz talked me into this very bad decision. Not only did I nearly hurl in the final mile, but I missed Nazareth's kazoo parade.

One of the race participants was this Obamaphile. Now that's dedication!

After we finished running, it was a "fun" run for the kids. I think they went about 8 miles. No shade, either. I stole their trophies, too.

Actually, the kids had a blast, and that's the race I should have run. There were balloons and ribbons and everything. I might have won that race. Besides, there were about 1000 volunteers like these lovely ladies. I could have asked them for help.
After the race was over, Accucare Chiropractic gave out a few free massages. Patti was unable to keep her hands off me.
Below, you'll see me (in my third T-shirt) with Ann's husband, John, and their niece.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

u lost a lot of weight bern but there isn't anything u can do about ugly

Anonymous said...

"u lost a lot of weight bern but there isn't anything u can do about ugly"

That must be very frustrating for you then, Anon 7:13.

You have my sympathy.

Not a fan of participation trophies, but it is probably accurate to say anyone with the requisite intestinal fortitude to turn out in this oppressive heat is some kind of champion to be certain.

Anonymous said...

Love your Irish-bred prose and self deprecation in posts like this. Congrats.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"u lost a lot of weight bern but there isn't anything u can do about ugly"

As my father used to say, you can't shine shit.

Anonymous said...

Bernie-

In all seriouness, it does appear that you have lost a lot of weight. Diet, excercise?

You look good.


VOR

Bernie O'Hare said...

I run once every three days. the other two, I walk (with some running breaks) or ride my bike. When I exercise, I tend to eat more healthy.

Anonymous said...

what u fail to grasp, anon 8:39 and ( it is understood allowing for your diminished IQ and social standing) is that Bern has a great sense of depreciating humor as illustrated by his 11:03 comment.

Alas you are single minded and therefore humorless and lost to your own emotions. As Bern often says to one of the haters - "take your drug cocktail"

Anonymous said...

Bo,

Please do not post ant more pictures of wee willy. u may cause your readers to go blind