About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Regionalism a Hard Sell in Upper Mount Bethel

See the tough-looking guy in the picture? That's Ed Nelson, who chairs the Upper Mount Bethel
Township Board of Supervisors. I dropped in on one of their meetings last night, hoping to follow some of the interesting swampland v. farmland debate that's been taking place. On one side, we have the very earnest "Save the salamanders" cartel, led by Judy Henckel. On the other side, we have farmers who are struggling to survive. Should EIT money, collected in Upper Mount Bethel for open space, go to farmers or frogs?
I arrived late, partly because I was at another meeting earlier that never happened, and partly because I was lost. So I missed most of the heated exchanges that took place during the first hour of a three-hour meeting in a crowded room with no air conditioning.

But I thought I'd take some pictures. After my third shot, Nelson looked at me ominously and asked, "Are you a member of the press?"

"I'm a blogger," I answered.

Nelson still seemed unsure until Solicitor Ron Karasek advised, "That's Bernie the Blogger."

The Chair still seemed suspicious until I added, "I'm a bottom feeder, too."

After that, he liked me. Even Judy Henckel give me a little smile.

Upper Mount Bethel has recently learned that there are water "concerns" in three areas - Slateford, Jacoby Creek basin and Martins Creek basin. In fact, supervisors are considering requiring no-fee well-drilling permits to see just how bad the problem really is throughout the 44 square-mile township. In addition, Supervisor Joe Battillo proposed meeting with Portland Borough to discuss possible areas or regional cooperation, like water and sewer.

"Like a peace mission?" asked Nelson, who agreed to join Battillo.

But one person who won't be involved at all is Supervisor Jerry Geake. "Nobody wants to hear what I got to say about them," he grumbled.

From the peanut gallery, Ron Angle reminded Geake that, once before, Portland offered to extend water and sewer into Upper Mount Bethel and the Township turned them down.

"No we did not," blurted out Geake. "They're lying."

At that point, Angle suggested sending President Jimmy Carter.

Regionalism is great in theory, but very difficult in practice.

Later that night, the Township rejected bids for waste hauling, solicited through the Slate Belt COG. Once again, Geake hated the "process" and would prefer to deal with garbage haulers alone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

zzzzzzzzzzzz
Zzzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

Frac the whole place and be done with it. The water is already shot.

Claudine Zuidema said...

just as i expected this morning when i read this piece - no one cares about the northern hicks - no even the hicks. let nj annex them and rid us of the trailer park of the county

Anonymous said...

I like farmers, but I would vote for the frogs.

Anonymous said...

Upper Mt. Bethel is probably one of the most uncared about places in the County. It is full of people who really think that their land is somehow valuable enough for a subdevelopment of real value and people are clamoring to get in. Curious as to what their population increase was during the last 10 years. Anyway this is a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Why would you be curious if this is a zzzzzzzzzz? Population in U Mt Bethel has increased 10.6% over the past 10 years, which is slightly lower than the 11.5% increase in Northampton County as a whole. The Northampton County section of Bethlehem grew just 6.4%.

Anonymous said...

I think there is enough room up there for the frogs and the farmers.

Anonymous said...

The new educated people are why the King Clown, Ron Angle will be tossed from the County clowncar Council this November.

Anonymous said...

Wow Bernie I'm impressed Karasek knew who you were. Seriously, UMB needs a nice area. You have your own space no neighbors beathing down your thoart, lots of farm land, and for the most part good honest people. Just because it's small towm pa doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about. UMB, LMB, Washington Twsp, East Bangor, North Bangor, Roseto, Bangor, and any other small town that I am missing in here should consider regionalizing. It could save them a lot of money with garbage,sewer, and water contracts. Help with the fire department's funding and police coverage.I don't understand why people can't put aside their pride and do something good. Why do they always have to drag their feet?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Karasek is a good lawyer who has probably sued me a few times. There are lots of stories, waiting to be told, in nearly every corner of the LV. I barely scratch the surface.