About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Northampton County Promotes Four Deputy Sheriffs


Over the years, long before I ever started blogging, I've been highly critical of our Deputy Sheriffs. They've kicked me around, too. So I was shocked when I received an email last week, inviting me to a Sheriff Department's first-ever promotional ceremony, conducted in stately Courtroom 1. It was perhaps one of the nicest things I've ever seen at the Courthouse.

Lt. Christopher Zieger was promoted to Chief Deputy. Sergeant Darlene Coia, whose husband is a Captain in Lehigh County Sheriff's department, is now a Lieutenant. Deputies Michael Orchulli and Jeffrey Heller are now Sergeants.

This was Sheriff Randy Miller's idea. Noting that there has been a Northampton County Sheriff's Department for the past 258 years, he wanted a ceremony to honor those whose "experience and devotion to duty" merits advancement in the ranks.

Asked to say a few words, Executive John Stoffa claims Deputy Sheriffs are now "terrific ambassadors" for the County. "I've seen you stop and help people. I've see you stop when somebody looks bewildered in the hall." Then, speaking directly to the twenty or so uniformed deputies on hand, Stoffa said, "You've got a thankless job. Too few people understand what you do. I know it is sometimes dangerous. We read about people being shot across the country, and yet you go out every day knowing what could happen, and I very much appreciate that."

Deputy Patrick Cubbage, the Sheriff's Chaplain, started and ended the ceremony with a prayer.

In addition to Stoffa, Judge Edward Smith sat quietly in the jury box. Two of the deputies who provided security for his courtroom were being promoted, and he wanted to be there.

Lehigh County Sheriff Ron Rossi came in from Allentown. Administrator James Onembo stopped by. Two of Stoffa's cabinet officers - John Conklin and Archie Disidore - sat in the peanut gallery like Defendants waiting for the hangman.

But the real dignitaries were the families. Margaret Orchulli, who works in the Civil Division, gave her husband a big fat kiss. I missed it on my flip cam, so I made her do it again. ... And again. ... And again. I then told her twin, 4 year-old grandchildren that she says "bad words." One started laughing, but the other one got really mad and was ready to pile drive me until I admitted I was just teasing.

Above is a video of the color guard, and below is Margaret laying a liplock on the Sarge. My thanks to Sheriff Randy Miller, who was kind enough to invite Lehigh Valley Ramblings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can John Stoffa say the things he said with a straight face. He has spent the last five years screwing these guys.

Didn't he promise them arbitration to get elected then promptly broke his promise.

The Sheriffs have been treated terrible by this Administration.

Bernie O'Hare said...

You really hate Stoffa, don't you? He cared enough to be there. And so were several of his cabinet members.

Anonymous said...

Nice job all the way around.

Anonymous said...

Photo op
say cheese---eee

Anonymous said...

How about only 1 person per HH on the public payroll?

Bernie O'Hare said...

I don't understand you, sorry.