About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

State Rep. Karen Beyer: She Stood Up to House Leaders

State Rep. Karen Beyer has represented the 131st legislative district since winning a special election there in 2005. It's a Democratic-leaning district, consisting of one Lower Saucon Township precinct, Upper Saucon, Lower Milford, Coopersburg and part of Salisbury, Upper Milford and Allentown.

Since she previously worked in Doug Reichley's office, I expected her to be his clone. She does share his work ethic, which constantly amazes Ron Angle. He has told me he knows no one in government, excepting himself, who dedicates more time to the people.

What I admire is her courage in standing up to party leaders and helping to resolve a budget impasse that was hurting the people who need help most. Her opponent

Q) In the past two years, two state legislative leaders have been convicted of using their office for political or personal gain. Isn't that a sign that something's wrong with the way business gets done in Harrisburg?

A) Yes. I knew there was something wrong on my first day. Here's a quick story: I went to a benefits briefing and was given a form to sign. It was on a green sheet of paper. When I asked what it was, I was told it was for un-vouchered expenses...thus accepting the pay raise. I refused to sign and accept it. Over the next two months, a debate waged throughout the General Assembly on the repeal of the pay raise. I learned then that it was two Republican Committee Chairman who had insisted upon the pay raise in the first place. A little known fact. It was eventually repealed, but the public never saw the arguing and dissension that occurred behind the scenes. There was a great amount of arrogance on display during that period of time.

As for the indictments, I think the Attorney General's actions have changed the tone and tempo of Harrisburg. Because of his actions, there is much more scrutiny by the public…and that is good. Individual members are much more mindful about how they conduct their legislative business to ensure they don't mix campaigning and the people's legislative business. The Attorney General has done the Commonwealth a great service by being courageous and investigating the legislative leaders. He has caused members to be vigilant and careful in their legislative conduct, something I did not witness when I first arrived in Harrisburg.


Q) According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Pennsylvania has the largest full-time and second most expensive legislative branch in the nation. Is it time to cut back?

A) It is time to cut the number of legislators. I am a co-sponsor of a bill calling for a Constitutional Convention, which would address several areas that need reform in our government. Reducing the size of the legislature, medical malpractice and tort reform would be others. It would require a change in the Constitution and a willingness of members to give up their seats to get it accomplished. I would vote for a reduction in the size of the General Assembly.

Q) You've been criticized for voting to end the budget impasse last year in Harrisburg, siding with House Democrats.

A) Yes, I have been criticized for that, but it is obvious some folks don't know what that vote meant. By September 2009, budget negotiations had hit a wall. Our legislative leaders were on PCN live, broadcasting the budget talks. The Republican House leadership walked out of negotiations and refused to return. When the House Republicans were told in caucus that we would not return to the budget negotiation table, I stood and strenuously objected. I said at the time, that our leadership was marginalizing 98 House members. Obviously, the House Republican leadership disagreed with me. I then made a decision to contact Sen. Pat Browne and he kept me informed of the progress of the negotiations, and in the final budget product, the 2009-10 budget was $500 million dollars less that the previous year. This was a huge breakthrough with this Governor. Senate Republicans were able to keep 9 separate proposed tax increases from coming to fruition. It was a budget that U.S. Senate candidate Pat Toomey called "fiscally responsible." That was good enough for me. We had a pending crisis on our hands in October. Counties, schools, prisons and the State Police (to name a few), had not been funded. The budget had no broad-based tax increases and cut spending. It was the right thing to do. I believe in responsible government and it was time to be responsible. On a side note, you should know that the budget bill is one bill and the tax bill to support it is another. I voted NO on the tax bill. I didn't think it went far enough in the reduction of business taxes.

Q) What steps are you personally taking to avoid a devastating budget impasse like the one we suffered last year?

A) We will have another budget impasse. The Governor has said he wants a hike in the personal income tax, a hike in the sales tax, a severance tax on Marcellus Shale, a cigar and smokeless tobacco tax and a gas tax of at least 13 cents per gallon. If he insists on these, and threatens a veto, then we may see a repeat of last year. I will not vote for any of the Governor's proposals. My first effort on the budget was to let the House leaders know that I was unwilling to vote for any of the tax proposals. Sending that message now is important. If every member did that then we could avoid all the posturing that takes place during budget time.

Q) Many state reps will tell me privately that in Harrisburg, too much power is invested in just a few powerful committee chairs and leaders. Has that been your experience?

A) Yes, that has been my experience too. Here is another thought...too much power vested in some leaders who are incompetent. It is a seniority-based system. Here's just one personal example of how the legislative process works. A bill that I had authored was referred to the education committee and was eventually voted out of committee in a bipartisan vote. The legislation was then sent to Appropriations Committee. It has never seen the light of floor debate. The Appropriations Committee Chairman Dwight Evans has refused to bring the bill for a vote. The bill has sat in his committee for nearly two years. In fact, I have bills in just about every committee awaiting action, but the majority chairman and the majority leader decide if the bill ever comes to the full House for a vote. Legislation moving to the House floor for a full debate and vote is at the whim of the committee chairman. That is what is wrong with the system.

Q) Your opponent attacks you as a pawn of the teachers' union, noting you accept money from them and support public education. What's your response?

A) I do support public education. I am a product of public education, as well as, my husband and children. But, I also appreciate other avenues for educating children charter, private, parochial, cyber charter, and home schooling. I believe it is my job to do the best I can for the entire educational system. Teachers play a big role in that. I have accepted campaign money from the teacher's union, the PA Chamber of Commerce, PA Bankers Association, and other organizations, associations, PACs and many individuals. Unfortunately, campaigns run on donations...that is money. But let me be perfectly clear, NOONE has or ever will buy my vote. I know whom I work for...the residents of the 131st Legislative District.

Q) Is there anything else you'd like LVRamblings readers to know about your campaign?

A) A few people have called me a RINO. Ironically, in this primary the PA Pro-Life Federation and the NRA have endorsed me. Two organizations closely associated with republican causes. When I put on the uniform of the U.S. Air Force as an 18-year-old, I was proud to serve my country. Never would I ever have imagined that my loyalty, patriotism or dedication to the Republican Party would be questioned. But, I do consider the source. A 23-year-old opponent, who has never served his country, would never know what that means. The best decision of my life was to serve in the U.S. military. It changed the entire course of my life and I am deeply grateful to all of those great military leaders who inspired and led me.