About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A Fred Angle Friend Speaks Out

Sixty years ago, the Lehigh Valley was a different place.

I saw it through the eyes of an interesting seventy-six year-old Bangor resident yesterday. He tells me that, as a young teenager, he often walked along slate belt railroad tracks in search of berries. That's where he got to know a young, strapping railroad man who was always driving in spikes along the tracks. They took a liking to each other, and their friendship lasted over sixty years.

This teenager's name? Eugene Weidman, although he's called Pet and is a little older now. His lifelong friend? Fred Angle.

Fred and Pet eventually ended up working together at Redi-Mix Concrete, both of them taking overtime every chance they could get. Pet got to know both of Fred's sons, and even worked with Fred, Jr. He was the most "happy-go-lucky" person Pet ever saw. Ronnie, as he calls the Northampton County Bulldog, was a different story. "Ronnie was always tough," he laughed. "Me and him got into some battles."

Pet was with Fred regularly, even after he became ill. A few hours before Fred died, Pet was there, wetting his friend's mouth with ice water. Fred's caretaker had poured out a glass of tapwater, and Pet insisted she add ice. "She didn't have enough brains to blow her nose," he told me.

Fred Angle despised daughter-in-law Joanie Place, the Florida woman who drove Angle to Stroudsburg for a new Will giving 25% of his estate to the one son who just happens to live with her. "Fred hated her worse than anything," he tells me. He also remembers Fred telling him why he cut her kids out. "I'm not giving them nothing. They don't call me. They don't visit me. They're out." Fred told Pet everything would go to "Ronnie" and grandsons Max and Ron, Jr.

Pet was even around when Fred had trusts prepared for Ron and his grandsons, although Pet described it as a power of attorney. He describes sitting at the table with Fred as he explained everything.

After reading Janet Jackson's claims in The Express Times, Pet called both the paper and Angle. If the claims of a lawyer looking for money is worth noting, then the reminiscences of someone who knew Fred for sixty years are worth jotting down as well.

By the way, he's pissed at Angle. His property is assessed way too high, and he lost an assessment appeal when Glenn Reibman ran the show. Angle and "that new guy" are no help either, he laughed.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then why did Fred sign the Will the "gold digger" presented to him?

Anonymous said...

Ohare you are so predictable. Now you trot out not only an old "friend" but Fred's best "friend". Really? You have no shame!

You and Angle are two of a kind. You even worked in another shot at Glenn Reibman.

Sure old fella we believe you because Bernie is always after the Truth. Did Pet get a computer too?

Anonymous said...

Deliverance? Fried Green Tomatoes? Beverly Hillbillies?

Anonymous said...

One of the worst lies you have told in your attempt to cover up the possible Millonaire Dollar Road Conspiracy is that Joanie Angle drove Fred to his lawyers. This is not true. Fred's personal caretaker drove Fred to the lawyer's office. Joanie was not in the car. Just another Angle/O'Hare lie.

Anonymous said...

The POA that Angle had re: his father, local understanding Ron did quite a number on the financial monetary holdings of his father, no personal knowledge just local talk that you will refute.

Anonymous said...

Its Million Dollar Highway, get it right.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Why didn't angle have the signature notarized?

Is he that stupid? Then he shouldn't be holding government positions.

I think it's pretty clear here.

Chris Amato said...

Is this Ron Angle's personal column? There was a time when one could find some good information here. That time has passed. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. In the future, if I ever read this mumbo jumbo again I will read for entertainment purposes only, kind of like when I read the crap in the supermarket line. No need to respond, I won't be back to read what is written. What a shame, this could have been a great source of information. Ta Ta

Bernie O'Hare said...

C, Given that your only other comment here was one slamming Angle, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I write what i want to write about, not what you tell me to write about, and I am moved to write about Angle bc it is clear that he is being victimized by people who want money and power.

Chris Amato said...

Never slammed him Bernie, nor would I. Your memory is failing.

Bernie O'Hare said...

C,

I went back to check on your one previous comment here and stand corrected. There have been lots of Angle attacks, and I lumped you w/ all the others. I apologize. You defended Dave Backenstoe, and I agreed he is an excellent lawyer.

But why are you here? Didn't you just say you wouldn't be back?

And let me clue you in on something. I decide what I blog about. Nobody else. Not you. Not Angle. Not anybody. And my goal is to tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.

Right now, people need to hear the other side of the Angle story, not just what Janet Jackson is saying. If a plaintiff's lawyer, whose sole motivation is her own greed, is worth reading about, then so are the words of someone who knew Fred Angle for 60 years and has a distinctly different view.

Anonymous said...

So your writing fiction now, huh Bern? You need to work on your character development. Maybe telling the readers about how Fred's son Ron is a bleeding scumbag who engages in forgery, thievery and corrupt practices. Maybe give a little foreshadowing about how Ron is going to be indicted on fraud charges and loose all his political credibility or how Ron's bed buddy, and acting Minister of Propaganda is going to get the same treatment as Ron (no wait, that would make it autobiographical). Good Luck Bern!!

Sandra Walters Weiss said...

Bernie,dig out the waders,your fishing license and attach the trolling motor to the boat.It's one of those days.Nice post whether you like or dislike any of the Angles this sort of stuff is hard on the Family.

Anonymous said...

In the words of BOH in regard to Alan Jennings (posted today): "Jennings is smart enough to know that there is more than one side to just about every issue and let his personal feelings get in the way of good sense."

You should take your own advice and not let your personal feelings get in the way of good sense. Try to look at this as an outsider, not as Angle's BFF.

And, yes there are generally two sides to a story but that doesn't mean that one of those stories isn't BS.

Anonymous said...

Old Ms. (whats my name this week) Weiss weighs in again.

Bernie O'Hare said...

... while you remain an anonymouse coward. Ms. Weiss has helped a lot of people. One if them is my grandson.

Chris Amato said...

Hey Bernie, I posted a nasty comment earlier, please allow me to apologize...nothing good comes of it. I like your column and have been a loyal reader for months. My comment was borne of frustration. As a reader, it seems as though you are getting too emotionally involved in the issue. I am sure that I am not the only reader to feel this way. Thanks for listening.

Bernie O'Hare said...

No need to apologize to me, and I am emotionally invested in this issue. Ron Angle is my friend.

Now I could just let it go or write about it. I chose to write about it because I have been able to supplement what has appeared in the newspaper and provide additional details that gives more perspective.

If what a Plaintiff's lawyer has to say is newsworthy, isn't the story of someone who knew Fred for 60 years just as important?

I think many people are quick to rush to judgment, especially when it comes to Angle. I know for a fact that some of it is politically motivated, but can't write about that in more detail without betraying a confidence. As someone who supports Ron as a friend, I have tried to present his side of the story.

Anonymous said...

Please don't tell us what she did for your "grandson" and the othe rchildren.

Bernie O'Hare said...

... while you continue to remain an anonymous coward who can condemn people as long as you can do so from under a rock.