About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 31, 2009

A LV Tour de Blog

Here's a glimpse at just some of the fascinating stories floating around the local blogosphere. Apparently, we should not drink water (fish piss in it). We must also stop eating or our testicles will fall off. But if we're lucky like Don Cunningham, we can move into a nice house in Easton and retrieve some news articles about our parents and grandparents who served in WWII.

Wanna' Move to Easton? - I've told you before about Noel Jones' Neighbors of Easton, a great hyper-local blog whose focus is Shadtown's West Ward. She's reporting that Alan Jenning's CACLV intends to buy, refurbish and then sell five homes to low-income families. If you're interested, call West Ward Neighborhood Partnership at 610.217.6510, and ask for Sophia.

Ken Petrini (Allentown Fiscal Responsibility Examiner) continues excellent Lehigh County analysis. - Ken reports that LC Exec candidate Scott Ott has responded to Don Cunningham's budget forecast with a bit of a snark.
“The Morning Call gave Lehigh County Executive Don Cunningham the headline he wanted after his vague preview Thursday of his 2010 budget...
No tax increase for Lehigh County
But the career politician, and failed gubernatorial candidate, is likely less excited about the subheading...
Cunningham, running for re-election, will use predecessor's relief fund to avoid a hike
That perfectly encapsulates Don Cunningham's tenure as County Executive -- political ambition, deficit spending and the good fortune to inherit a huge tax hike from his predecessor.”
Ken disputes the notion that Cunningham is a "failed" anything, and like me, resents the charge that Cunningham is just one lucky guy. "If Cunningham were truly lucky, he would have seen this downturn and not transferred $12 million from the Taxpayer Relief Fund to the Green Futures Fund."

Shhh! Northampton County's Best Kept Secret? - Northampton County Controller Steve Barron is a local history buff whose quirky Roadside Americana and Modern Ruins gets him in trouble with his better half. But she must forgive him his blogging after a great post about Northampton County veterans. In file drawers located inside the cavernous Governor Wolf building, there are records of every Northampton County resident who served in WWII. For each man and woman who served, a separate envelope details name, branch of the service, dates of service, unit, and if they have died (either post war or as a casualty of war). These envelopes also contain old newspaper clippings.

Does he find Sarah Palin Disgusting? You betcha'. - This is the unabashedly liberal View Beyond Bethlehem. So far, he's had four separate reactions to the death of Teddy Kennedy, the Liberal Lion. He mostly focuses on national issues, but did publish a blog about the upcoming rumble between Bethlehem Mayor John Callahan and LV Congressman Charlie Dent. "I don't know John Callahan's position on all the things I care about but I am willing to guess that they will be closer to my vision of America than Charlie Dent's."

Molovisky: Don't Drink the Water! - Blogger Michael Molovinsky is scaring the shit out of me. He's posting a series of reports contending that the Little Lehigh Creek is purposely being drained to benefit bottling plants in Fogelsville. I've asked Lehigh County Exec Don Cunningham to explain what is happening.

LVCI: Forget About Eating, too! Now that Molovinsky has me rationing water, LVCI has me convinced the only thing I can safely eat is grass. In addition to condemning the chemicals poured into our food, LVCI wags his finger at high fructose corn syrup. Apparently, it causes anemia, high cholesterol, heart hypertrophy and delayed testicular development in rats. Now I know what's wrong with me!

Speaking of Food, The Pork Stops here! - Ironpigpen continues the best minor league baseball coverage I've ever read anywhere. Period.

Morning Call blogs have a merger. - Instead of having separate blogs for each of the Lehigh Valley's three cities, Valley 610 will do it all, with twelve reporters. Pam Lehman has a touching account of the evening a boisterous Teddy Kennedy served her hors d’oeuvres. I'm guessing she found her own way home.

Alfonso Todd - Disciple of Satan. - As some of you are undoubtedly aware, Angie and Bill Villa are my publicists. Since August 9th, their blog has been exclusively (and lovingly) devoted to me. Five separate blogs nail me as the anti-Christ. I've been looking for that tell-tale "666" birthmark, but it must be on my ass. I really can't see that as well as you. They've also been emailing virtually anyone they can find, warning them about me and getting nasty when people ask to be left alone. It's their civic duty.

They've also discovered I have 690 Facebook friends. They've already listed a number of you by name, claiming that unless you renounce the Great Satan, you'll be called out for endorsing Evil. One of the persons they found is Alfonso Todd, whom they call a "shameless publicity whore." I've never even met Alfonso and only know him from his writing.

Alfonso's offended by the implication that he is one of Lucifer's disciples. "Their blog supposedly champions the injustices of the poor, women, and minorities but they spit out about as much hate as the KKK. This blog is full of loathing, gossip, and pettiness."
"PUBLICITY WHORE", I will wear it like a badge of honor because it seems Bill Villa singled me out purposely; like he did at the last CHEN ARTS SHOW on 6/7/09 at the ALLENTOWN MUSEUM where he ran me down on my way out and asked me to say negative things about his "so-called" enemies in my e-newsletter, Lehigh Valley Flavor, www.lehighvalleyflavor.piczo.com, because, apparently, his wife's blog doesn't have enough credibility, and I guess because "misery loves company." He, also, asked me to boycott the City's newspaper, the Morning Call, because of the racist comments that often appear on their blogosphere. (I often battle this by going on line and going head to head with the ANONYMOUS bloggers themselves; GOOGLE: Alfonso Todd and see some of my fearless exploits) I told him no and and I guess that may be where the HATERISM started.
Alfonso also notes that Allentown's Chen Arts group is a collective effort that, due to the Villas' need for attention, seems to have lost as many supporters as it has gained.

I won't have Chris Casey to kick around anymore. - LVPoliblogger Chris Casey has "retired" from blogging for the 17,654th time. This time, he claims blogs "have quickly evolved to become somewhat irrelevant overall" and ... oh yeah, he has a life, unlike people like me. I'm apparently a permanent resident of Blogistan who "gets down on my knees and serve [politicians] like a third world whore." Nice guy, huh? Nothing weird there. About a year ago, Casey published a "fantasy blog novel" in which he portrays me as the victim of a grisly murder.

Informative. Entertaining. Crazy. We got it all, baby.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure West Ward residents are thrilled that CACLV is creating low income housing in their community. I do think highly of CACLV and Alan Jennings, but disagree with certain of their initiatives. The obvious question is that once the homes are refurbished and a family who cannot affored to live there moves in, how can they deal with the maintenance costs?

Anonymous said...

Folks should visit some of Jennings other CACLV housing examples around the Valley
and see how they are being maintainted. Take some photos
and appear before Easton city council if residents are concerned.

LVCI said...

"Build It And They Will Come" You want to attract flies, spread...

Sanctifying Grace said...

As I face the West and its darkness, I exclaim,

"I renounce you Satan! All your teachings and evil minions."

As I face the East, its light, and the sunshine of a perpetual never ending day, I exclaim,

"I embrace you Christ. All of your teachings and seek your assistance!"

When exercising our liturgical baptismal rights, I always thought this was incorrect. I always thought nothing but residential garbage came from the East and Jersey!

Peace, ~~Alex

Sanctifying Grace said...

Bernie,

This should cheer you up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiA0G3DlVa4&feature=related

Peace, ~~Alex

Sanctifying Grace said...

Mr. Todd,

Keep you chin up and keep on smiling.

By the way, welcome to the club!

Peace out, ~~Alex

Bernie O'Hare said...

Folks, When Villa posts his crap here, as he's alreadfy done three times, do me a favor and ignore him. I will eventually delete his insanity. He can blow oil on his own blog.

Anonymous said...

I love my own car and treat it like a baby; not so much rental cars. If you earn it and own it, you'll care for it.

Anonymous said...

I have a neighbor in Allentown who bought his home through a charity based feel good program and he thinks he can do whatever he wants because it is "my property"

I swear they search for the most ignorant and inconsiderate people for these things. In reality, if you haven't worked your way into a position in life where you can afford to buy a home you probably are not going to be a successful homeowner, or neighbor.

Anonymous said...

i live in allentown and am one of the people "ignorant people" who took advantage of one of those "charity based feel good programs". I've put years of sweat into improving my home, more than 10k of my own money buying supplies and tools and have become an active volunteer in community organizations. And the people who seem to be the greatest obstacle to my investment have been landlords who buy buildings, pack them with tenants and then let the place go to hell. Don't blame the homeowners on this front: blame the greedy landlords.

Anonymous said...

anon 7:21 - the west ward is already one of the lowest income neighborhoods in the entire lehigh valley. homeownership is one of the keys to creating neighborhood stability in an area plagued by violence and crime. If you disagree with the Jennings method, that's fine - but "creating" low income housing is not what the program does.

Lighthouse said...

I do not always agree with some of Jennings publicity stunts, but do find many of his goals noble. Reading some of the posts above made me think of an old movie scene I am sure most will recognize:

"But he did help a few people get out of your slums, Mr. Potter. And what's wrong with that? Why...Here, you're all businessmen here. Doesn't it make them better citizens? Doesn't it make them better customers? You...you said...What'd you say just a minute ago?...They had to wait and save their money before they even ought to think of a decent home. Wait! Wait for what? Until their children grow up and leave them? Until they're so old and broken-down that they...Do you know how long it takes a working man to save five thousand dollars? Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about...they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? Anyway, my father didn't think so. People were human beings to him, but to you, a warped frustrated old man, they're cattle. Well, in my book he died a much richer man than you'll ever be!"

Bernie O'Hare said...

Lighthouse, Jimmy Stewart?

Lighthouse said...

Yes, as George Bailey.

Anonymous said...

Stay out of private family matters at the County Veterns Administration. If Mr. Barron wants to advance his political career as a "historian" fine, just not at the expense of the privacy of the families of brave veterns.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Give me a break.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite movies and a great parable "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE,

Alfonso

Anonymous said...

EXPOSE (with the accent mark)

I thought we went over this?

Anonymous said...

We did go over EXPOSE - moron

noel jones said...

FYI--the CACLV HOME Program is targeted for families who make 80% of median income. Applicants must complete financial counseling to be approved for the program. The West Ward really needs more middle class families to help balance the demographic and pay into the tax base, so I for one, like the sound of this program. It's aimed at responsible working folks who rent, who want to become home owners. At 55% rental (10% being technically "distressed"), the West Ward needs to encourage responsible home ownership as much as possible.