About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Lehigh County Seniors May Be Eligible For Farmers' Market Vouchers

If you live in Lehigh County, you might be eligible for a break on your food bill. Lehigh County’s Office of Aging and Adult Service will distribute Farmers Market Nutrition Program vouchers to eligible senior citizens from 9 to 11 a.m. on Wednesdays, beginning June 3 at the Lehigh County Government Center’s Information and Referral lobby, 17 S 7th St., Allentown.

Vouchers are available to Lehigh County residents 60 years or older whose total gross household income is not more than $20,036 for a single person; $26,955 for married couples; $33,874 for 3 persons; and $40,793 for 4 persons. Proof of age, residency and a social security number must be provided. Participants will be required to sign that they read and understand their rights and responsibilities.

A single person is eligible to receive four $5 vouchers and couples eight $5 vouchers one time only. They will also receive a list of local farmers markets where the vouchers may be used to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables. The vouchers will not be accepted at grocery stores and must be used by November 30, 2009.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Retired ASD teacher here.

I'm not yet eligible for the vouchers but I have made a commitment to patronize my local farmers' markets. Actually, it started last summer.

The produce I purchase has much more flavor than store-bought, and I trust its quality more than I trust the products from Mexican (even California) growers.

There's also a certain satisfaction in helping our remaining area farmers. They work so hard at a local enterprise we never want to lose.

Oh, yes. These excellent vegetables are usually sold side by side with OUTSTANDING home-baked treats. That's another pleasure we must try to preserve.

I hope I never live in a mass production, pre-packaged food world. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

What about Northampton county?

Anonymous said...

NorCo is offering free bus rides to Mount Bethel to swim in the verdant pools we overpaid for in the name of open space.

Anonymous said...

Good for ASD teacher. I wish we had more Farmers markets. I am much younger than him was raised on processed foods and though I find the extra finger growing on my hand useful, it's not that attractive.