About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, February 16, 2009

LC Comm'r Glenn Eckhart: What, Me Worry?

Lehigh County Commissioner Glenn Eckhart missed last week's important vote to decide the fate of the financially distressed Lehigh Valley Zoo. I had joked that he was "probably out somewhere eating bison burgers," but he was actually out of town on business.

In an email exchange for this blog, Glenn speaks of the zoo, his upcoming race and his war of words with Allentown City Council Prez Mike D'Amore.


Q: I saw your proposal to ask school districts to foot some of the bill. I have also heard that you have said the county may be better off to just close the zoo and perhaps have a small petting zoo. What exactly is your position? Where would have come down last Wednesday? Would you have sided with the Don Cunningham initiative to fund the zoo for five years, the Dean Browning initiative to give the zoo some money now while looking at ways to improve it, or would you have voted to close it?

A: "Well, it is over now but I supported giving the zoo this year's money as the administration proposed. But then only $180,000 next year and 4% increase thereafter. I was pushing for the Lehigh County to be responsible for all capital improvements. That way it could be funded in our 5 year capital plan. So I would have voted no on final vote. I would have supported Dean Browning $100,000 and then we could have redone plan. It is my opinion the schools need to help with this and as you noted all they would need to do is send in there children and all schools would have given there small stipend I ask for $3,000-$9,000 for between 30-40 school districts."

Q: Your district seems to have a good mix of both parties while you are a conservative Republican. Some claim you are therefore vulnerable, especially after your threatened Allentown boycott. Do you feel that your war of words with Allentown council president Mike D'Amore may come back to haunt you?

A: "Well, I have never worried about my re-election. It is not my career and I have always governed in what I think is best for the people I represent. Yes, I have run as an underdog every time I have run. We unseated a former President of the School Board in Salisbury in a 45% Republican district. We won that race with 62% of the vote that was in 1997. We defeated the incumbent President of the Township Board of commissioners in 1999, winning 57% of the vote in a district which was only 34% Republican. In the 2003 re-election, we defeated our opponent with 58% of the vote and the district that year was only 32% Republican. The 2005 Commissioner race we won with 52% of the vote in a down year for Republicans against the highest vote count for State Committee woman in Lehigh County the year before in a district which was only 44% Republican. You also are aware of my loss to Marie [Dean]. In that loss, I got crushed but we won the our district with 62% of the vote.

"I still do not agree with the City Council Resolution saying that we County Commissioners do not care about public safety in Allentown and I forgive them for doing it. But no, I don't regret it. It was unfortunate but, moving forward, Mike and I are facebook friends and I would like to work together when possible. We are going to be looking at a 15%-30% tax increase if nothing changes in 2011. I don't know of anyone who wants to see that happen but it will if we keep bringing new programs without looking for cost savings. That has been my job as elected official - to leave it in better shape than when I was elected."


I also have some questions that Eckhart tells me he'll answer later.

Q. Marc Prinzinger, a conservative Republican, is challenging Percy Daugherty, a moderate Republican, in his district. Many feel you encouraged Prinzinger to challenge Dougherty, whose moderate stance and bipartisan tone as chair has set an enviable standard for municipal government. Is this true? Do you have any reason not to support your incumbent chair?

Q. I have also heard that South Whitehall's Brad Osborne is challenging Cunningham. Is this true?
Update: Bethlehem Woman Challenging Eckhart. Behtlehem Democrat Hillary Kwiatek, in her first try for public office, is challenging Glenn Eckhart. In her Faceboook group, she explains why. “I am committed to keeping Lehigh County safe and maintaining services for our citizens in need. I also will work to balance the goal of making the county attractive to high-quality employers with preserving open space and supporting our local farmers. Finally, as a parent, I believe it’s critically important that we support the cultural, educational and recreational assets that add richness to our community.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shes a plant.

Bernie O'Hare said...

perennial or annual?

Anonymous said...

Brad Osborne would be a great county executive

Anonymous said...

Don C has targeted this guy for elimination.

Anonymous said...

Cunningham needs to go back to being Mayor of Bethlehem, whats next?? Donny C wants to be Governor, that's hysterical. His COG in Lehigh County is a joke, but he is better than Jane Ervin was.

Anonymous said...

Who was that old union guy he pushed Heckman out of the way to give the Regional Manager job too?

Anonymous said...

Guess you forget those 6 rules of blog ethics when you find them a hindrance.
No Conflict of Interest here.

Bernie O'LIAR

Bernie O'Hare said...

I don't even get this objection.

Anonymous said...

guess the final two questions will not be answered, typical politician

Anonymous said...

I ma guessing eckert never finished answering