About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, January 12, 2009

Six County Controllers Look For Ways to Reduce Constable Costs

Reading, PA – Six county controllers, including Northampton County Controller Steve Barron, are meeting this afternoon with State Rep. Thomas Caltagirone (Bucks County) to discuss proposed changes to fees charged by Constables. 

Constables are the mini-sheriffs of Pennsylvania's legal system. They have basically the same relation to the local magistracy as sheriffs do to higher courts. Their fees are ordinarily paid by a defendant. For example, when I ignore my parking tickets, and I always do, I end up paying my local constable when he pounds on my door with a warrant. I've put several of his children through college. But when a defendant is unable to pay the constable, the county foots the bill.

Northampton County's recent audit of funds shows a decrease in fees paid by the county between 2007 and 2008 of over $130,000. "It is about oversights," says Barron. "When people know you are watching, they modify their behavior.  Just by looking into this we have saved the taxpayers a significant amount of money."

These controllers believe that increasing oversight statewide could easily result in huge savings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Slonaker from Lehigh County was at this meeting as well.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 6:18, Thanks for that info.

Anonymous said...

I hate to burst you and Mr. Barron's bubble, but it's not because of anything he or the other controllers did.

You will see a reduction in costs to constables because of the new central booking centers and the use of video conferencing being utilized throughout the state. This reduces costs to travel and manpower.

They didn't take that into account did they?

Bernie O'Hare said...

From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, excessive fees result when two constables charge for the same services. They believe a judge should determine whether a second constable is necessary, not the constable who may have a financial interest. If two constables are used, they believe both should be paid for transportation, etc., but both should not be entitled to all warrant service fees.

In his news release, Barron points to an audit that resulted in thje county saving money. I am sure central booking and video conferencing will, as you state, lead to even more reductions in constable costs.

Please feel free to burst my bubble whenever you like. But Barron has sent me a copy of the changes to the law controllers are proposing. They have nothing to do with central booking or video conferencing. I'm sure that helps, too.

Anonymous said...

Didn't mean to be so poignant (with the bubble remark).

But that's just my point. They didn't exam possible other causes for the savings. I just don't think that Mr. Barron's actions was the cause of the savings. Rarely do constables "double up", but that does happen, especially with opposite sex/high profile/high risk transports.

The controllers should exam the effects of savings from video conferencing before they toot their own horn. Since the state started putting central booking sites and video conferencing, this has saved the Commonwealth more money than imagined.

Anonymous said...

I would also retract the aforesaid, if Mr. Barron could show a direct correlation between his audit and double charges. Was that in the audit?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 10:36,

No need to apologize. Your remark is appreciated. Constables certainly should double up in the circumstances you mention.

Are you suggesting that an elected official might toot his own horn? I am shocked.

Central booking and video conferencing will certainly save costs and I appreciate you mentioning it.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 10:41,

I believe Steve's audit showed some double-billing, but will ask him.