About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Lehigh's McCain-Palin Rally - The View From Outside


Arriving early at Lehigh's Stabler Arena on Tuesday, I thought I'd have no problem parking and getting in line for the show. I thought wrong.

You see, most of these folks are Republicans. When they're told to be somewhere at 10 AM, they show up at 9 AM. Lots of suits and ties and good-looking women, too. Everyone was lining up along the sidewalk to nowhere, which wound all over the place. Nobody was trying to cut in front of anyone. Nobody even ducked behind a bush to take a whizz.

I was looking for the protesters, so I popped off the yellow brick road and began looking until I found a small group of about 18 "protesters" in a parking lot located just a few yards from where Republicans were queued up.

Lucky for me, this parking lot was the place set aside for VIPs like those MSM broadcast journalists. Every now and then, some really hot-looking babe would saunter by, microphone in hand, looking more like a high class hooker than a reporter. A few gave me bedroom eyes, but I was a blogger on a mission. I was there for the friendly exchanges between McCain supporters and detractors, damn it!

"I want Sarah to wink at me."

Republicans: "You got a really big crowd."

Protesters: "Our friends are all at work cuz' they have to be."

Republicans: "You're takers!"

"Baby killers."

Protesters: [to kids in Catholic school uniforms]: "Why aren't you in school?"

Republicans: "Remember September 11."

Undetermined: "Penn State sucks!" [Everybody laughs].

Republicans: "Why don't you go register some dead people?"

Protesters: "Where do you work, Wall Street?"

Republicans: "USA, USA, USA."

Protesters: "USA, USA, USA."

Cop: "Finally, they agree on something."

Protesters: "Equal pay for women."

Republicans: "Equal rights for Hillary."

"Is Nader running again? Didn't know he was still alive."

Protesters: "Didn't know John McCain was, either."

Republicans: "Bill Ayers for Secretary of Defense."

Protesters: "Read the Book of Luke. Jesus was a commie."

Republicans: "50 million babies have been killed by abortions."

Protesters: "How many babies have died in Iraq?"'

Republicans: "You can do this because my son is protecting us in Afghanistan."

And so on.

Both sides delivered all these taunts and jeers with smiles. Every now and then, one group would shout to the other, "We love you, though." I suspect there are many more similarities than differences in these two groups.

9 comments:

Blah Society said...

"Is Nader running again? Didn't know he was still alive."

(OT)

I just saw him speaking on television the other night. He's still my pick over Obama and McCain.

J. SPIKE ROGAN said...

ajc I really like you more and more every post and every day!

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the extremeness of almost every position Nader has ever taken. However, he's the only honest guy in the race.

Anonymous said...

Is Ron Paul still around as well? If so, 2 honest guys.

The Banker

J. SPIKE ROGAN said...

Banker no But Paul has been supportive of Nader and Bahr getting equal time from the MSM and entry into the debates.

I agree with so little with Ron Paul. But I respect his shaking the boat and being a voice for people outside the two party system.

Blah Society said...

Ron Paul was a little too extreme for me, but maybe that's what this country needs.

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul was extreme, agreed - as is Nader. At this point I agree w/ a.j., I think that's exactly what this country needs, we've strayed too far in so many ways.

The Banker

Blah Society said...

Nader has a very impressive record. On top of that, he is a real straight-talker who actually knows what he's talking about. In my opinion, people might see Nader as an extremist because of how blutly he speaks. I wouldn't have any problem with him running the country.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that pic of the soul Nader supporter in the LV hiding his face behind the sign. lol. Who's the guy next to him supposed to be? Looks like Gavin MacLeod.