About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Former News Anchor Larry Kane Demonstrates His Obama Bias

For the past few weeks, I've been getting an annoyingly large amount of email from some dude in the Obama camp, usually about five every day. It really pisses me off because I can't get anyone locally to respond to me. I was even stiffed out of Obama tickets for his Muhlenberg speech today. Locally, the Obama campaign has been a big disappointment.

All of this brings me to Philly newscaster Larry Kane. Remember him? At one time or another, he anchored at all three network news affiliates. Now retired, he still does news "analysis" for KYW Newsradio and has a TV show called "The Voice of Reason." He even has a blog.

Today, mixed in the flurry of emails from the Obama camp, was an exchange with Larry Kane. Here's Larry.

"Larry Kane here==
do you have a list of unions that have endosed Barack? Also.. several other things janet Tegley is in touch with you concerning getting Barack on Lynn Doyle's show. I work with Comcast (have my own show) and want to tell you that this show reaches ALL 67 counties in Pa... ITS A GREAT ONE Secondly : I would like a 15 minute one on one with Sen Obama for KYW Newsradio. Anytime. Easy to do. Let me know... This will get super wide play because I'll be involved. Once again. don't forget the union endorsements,. this is for a commentary I'm doing tomorrow Thanks.. Larry"

Do you believe this frickin' baloney? First, it looks like it was written by a third-grader, not a news maven. Second, Larry is showing his hand, and it's full of Obama cards. You gotta' love the vapidity of a mainstream journalist who brags about his own public appeal to a presidential candidate. As critical as I can be of print media, I can't imagine a single reporter making that kind of pitch.

For the "Voice of Reason," truth takes a back seat to ratings. So does spelling.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

His prose is very sophisticated. Is that piss running down his leg, or is he just getting that Chris Matthews "warm feeling" for Obama?

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me that many relatively smart people lose all sense when writing email. Do they think they are being "hip" by writing in that protracted style or are they just mentally lazy?

BTW, does Larry Kane have any obligation to be unbiased? I've never seen his new show but it seems as if he's now more of a commentary guy and is free to state his opinion.

Bernie O'Hare said...

BTW, does Larry Kane have any obligation to be unbiased? I've never seen his new show but it seems as if he's now more of a commentary guy and is free to state his opinion.

I think he's into commentary these days so I suppose he can show some bias. I nevertherless marvel at his reason for the interview and can't imagine anyone in print saying that.

Anonymous said...

Do you believe this frickin' baloney?

Anonymous said...

Boo-freaking-hoo! Who the hell cares? Kane is doing nothing that is unethical. My God, let it go! Seems like someone has sour grapes because they didn't get a freaking ticket to an Obama event. Don't lie like you usually do. That's the reason for the negativity on Obama and you know it.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 11:19,

In all probability, I'll be voting for Obama. This post was not a shot at Obama, but at Kane. Try reading lessons.

I am appalled at his self-promotion, which is antithetical to good journalism. Another blogger, PhillyWillDo, made pretty much the same observations I did.

Anonymous said...

:hmm:

almost as unfathomable as Bill O'Really O'Reilly in his normally sweat-induced, blotchy, self-righteous mode on his Nationally Televised Faux News O'Rightly (o'wrongly) Hour - post Katrina - that "This situation (re: residents in the abandoned sports arena) is abominable... You give me 12 hours -- I'll get this situation straightened out!!!!"

GO Get 'em Bill. Every Journalist's Dream Come True.

Thank God for OBJECTIVE, PRO-ACTIVE, Self-Imposed Vigilant-ism Type Faux-News Jour- ....er, Colonal-ists.

(or should I say, 4-star GENERAL - ists?)

Where would Objective Journalism be without Faux News and the Talking Heads' Pulpit?


p.s. Ease up on the Dog Hunt, folks...
In contrast: After 30+ years of proven and unfailing respectable journalism, Larry Kane (now a free agent, BTW) has earned the right to a little self-acknowledgment in a private email. God forbid.


BTW, Bernie - all due respect ...Pot? ...meet Kettle, thank you.