About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, September 17, 2007

What Do You Think When You Hear the Word "Easton"?

Lafayette College has a student organization called Pards to People, based on the People to People organization founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to advance international understanding, tolerance, and world peace through direct people-to-people contact.

Yesterday, I received a thoughtful email from its president, sophomore Alan Raisman. Let me share part of it with you.

I founded this with the belief that Lafayette College and the city of Easton can develop a better relationship. ... Last year, I worked hard making an impression in the city and trying to meet the people who make a difference every day in the city of Easton. In the past year, Pards to People has worked with Gary Bertsch and Sal Panto, the two candidates running for Mayor; Penelope Fennell, the vice president of Easton's NAACP; Kim Kmetz from Easton's Main Street Initiative; Anita Mitchell from the Easton Area Community Center; Christina Hagan from the Family YMCA, Debbie Metz from the Easton Area Senior Center; among others. Pards to People has a great list of events for this year, but I want to implement one project early on.

Throughout my freshmen year, I heard different comments about the city made by people throughout Easton. The variety of remarks astonished me, and I wanted to take a simple task of listening one step further. I am compiling a list of words that describe Easton. That list will be compiled of the words given to me by members of the Easton community: students, faculty, business owners, residents, etc. I am asking you to think of one word that comes to mind when you think of Easton. Please email that word to me. If you wish to include a brief explanation on why you chose that word, that would be great. In January, over my winter break, I am going to see how each category of words break down, whether it be by age, by sex, by location, etc.

I want to implement this project throughout the entire city. If you would please ask everyone in your store, committee, group, etc. to send me a word, I would greatly appreciate it. Any other information about themselves that they would like to send would be appreciated as well. I would like to try to classify these words as directly as possible, by age, by gender, by location, etc. This project will hopefully bring a deeper understanding to what the citizens think about their city. After the recent events in Kutztown, I realized that we all need to understand the true meaning of where we live before its too late. Taking a look at the words of hopefully thousands of people will give people a greater appreciate for where they live. Thank you very much. I look forward to reading the various responses, and I would be happy to meet with any of you individually to implement this project in the city.

I asked Alan if he wanted to post his question here, and he agreed. "I am going to look at the words in particular areas, so if you could have them include information about themselves or whatever they would like, I would appreciate that too. I want to classify them by gender, age, job description, and location."

So if you can think of a word that describes Easton, post it here with some information about yourself. or better yet, contact Alan directly at raismana@lafayette.edu.

21 comments:

Blah Society said...

Does it have to be a good word?

Anonymous said...

I'd describe it "Panto". He is an Easton man. Born and Raised. He's probably sixty now but still working hard to make Easton better. He also knows everything about the city; past current and present. He once talked to me for about an hour on the difference between two different fire truck companies. He even knew all of the parts and equipment. Another reason would be because he will be the next mayor. He would be interesting to see what he would say.

Chris Casey said...

Neglected Heritage.There are so many stately and beautiful old buildings in the city. Yet it looks so dirty in many areas.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Personal threats against people will be deleted.

Tom Foolery said...

The Armpit of the Lehigh Valley. At least until a few years ago when Allentown blew by them with all of their homicides.

Anonymous said...

I agree Sal Panto and would add Larry Holmes!

Anonymous said...

is showing a flood picture were many people had to clean up mud for a week a good way to start out a topic on how would you discribe Easton or New Orleans or ground zero after the terrorists struck a good way to start this blog?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Is that a sentence?

It's called humor. Lighten up.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised driving through parts of Easton recently. I grew up in Wilson Borough and haven't really been back for 20 years, at least not areas off the beaten path.

Downtown looks drastically better than years past, and the areas east of 13th street are better than I imagined they'd be for all the years I've been away. I said out loud this last visit "I can't believe how good the residential areas look. I expected much worse."

So from someone who expected a dump, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I set the bar too low, but it's clear to me most of the residents care about their properties and the city in general. Give 'em a break. They're trying.

Anonymous said...

"Get your crap out of the floodplain so we dont' have to pay to repair it 5,000 times."

That means you Mr. McDonalds."

Anonymous said...

Pathetic. Easton is pathetic. It's an old northeast whorehouse town renowned for never going dry during prohibition. Easton's more recent history is one of an aging city beset with a large, overpaid, unionized workforce and bloated administration that is breaking the backs of an ever dwindling number of tax contributors. Easton's "establishment" (for lack of better term) regularly shuns newcomers and their fancy new ideas (say, aren't we about to retread yet another mayor?). The result is the incestuous mess of a college town wrapped in urban decay and small town political infighting. It'll never get better, because the people will never get better - but it's my home and I love it as much as I love to pity it.

Anonymous said...

billy givens

Anonymous said...

Bernie O'Hare said...


It's called humor. Lighten up.

6:28 PM

:):) ROFL

J. SPIKE ROGAN said...

Cronisim or Incompetent Leadership.
See Phil Mitman for both cases!

Anonymous said...

My suggestion for a motto for Easton:

"Easton, PA: 'It's not Jersey, but we're trying.'"

Anonymous said...

I would also say Panto but a correction in his age -- he is 55 or 56 because we graduated together. Not only does he know local government he is also passionate about our city and has really matured into a person we need running our city. He listens well, has great executive management experience and frankly, no one promotes the city and can recruit people, business, tourists, whatever, better than Sal. Let's face it, weren't we better when he was our Mayor. AND PLEASE do not compare him to Phil Mitman.

J. SPIKE ROGAN said...

actually during the Mitman era here every idea pitched during council someone always uses the comparision "its similar to what they did in New Hope.".

Ofcourse there are many diffrences between Easton and New Hope.

Anonymous said...

I've lived in Easton 30 years and I would say Easton wasn't in better shape with Sal the first. Easton has been on the decline for the past 16 years and we can't blame that all on Mitman. One word to describe Easton: RECYCLED: Recycled leaders, Recycled police chiefs leading to more of the same.

Anonymous said...

no way is Sal Panto even 55 or 56. Late 40s, max. And, he truly cares about Easton.

Anonymous said...

Up-and-coming funky, a future Manayunk (maybe). But hey, I live in Allentown, so Easton looks great to me.

Alan Raisman said...

Hi everyone. It's Alan Raisman, the student who started this project. Thank you all so much. The reason Bernie posted my email address is so that people aren't persuaded by others' comments. Nevertheless, I thank you all for posting, and I look forward to reading more responses.

As of now, I have 180 words ranging from ages 2 1/2 to 91. I have received 111 positive words and 68 negative words. I want this list to be over 1,000, and I know that Easton's population is well over 180. Please ask your friends, family, neighbors, and everyone else you run into the get involved. This is a city-wide project. Thanks!

Alan Raisman
Raismana@lafayette.edu
Pards to People, President

If you have not given me your location or age, I really wish that you would. I want to see how each decade differs with their opinion. Also, if you live in Easton, if you could include where you live (Downtown, West Ward, South Side, or College Hill), I'd greatly appreciate it.